.410 effective range

ElvisThePelvis

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit rabbits at 40 plus yards with my 410.

The range is much the same as a 12 just less lead in the air :)

Excellent, I was hoping that was the case, buyers remorse trying to edge it's way in...

Mathematically speaking, 14g of #7 should be good to 35 yards or a little further in the hands of an expert. Whether that's you is up to you... :)

Yep, no cartridge on earth will kill if you miss with it...

This morning's frustration at Pigeons pouring into noise sensitive areas resulted in a rush of blood to the wallet and the acquisition of a Baikal Hushpower .410 and some Eley Fourlongs in 6.

The gun is choked full, what would be a sensible max range to be shooting at?

For pigeon over decoys stick to twenty five yards, occasionally you'll knock one dead a little further, the issue is not accuracy alone but the sheer reality of only half the payload of a 12 gauge :yes: . Expert or not a .410 is a short range tool, the day you can reliably kill (not hit) live game at 40 yards is the day you can win world championships.

For pigeon over decoys stick to twenty five yards, occasionally you'll knock one dead a little further, the issue is not accuracy alone but the sheer reality of only half the payload of a 12 gauge :yes: . Expert or not a .410 is a short range tool, the day you can reliably kill (not hit) live game at 40 yards is the day you can win world championships.

But its a lot easier when they are sitting still :)

Wow, I look forward to that day! I take your point about ensuring clean kills though, most of my decoying is less than 30 yards, sometimes much closer which causes other issues with the 12.. Pigeon mist or Pigeon missed!

Big holes start to open up ( big enough to miss a target that you shot bang on)

Find the perfect gun choke shell combo and I might bet you won't pass 35 yards before these holes show

Very very good sub 30 yards though at as little as twenty yards say the light fast handling and the fact your quarry don't rattle when you pick it up Makes it a realy good gun - better than a twelve in its niche imo

Seen clays cracked in two at silly ranges but hardly ever edge on - those tend to slide through mostly

I had a couple of hours decoying with my 410 this afternoon, after way too many years and i was pleasantly suprised. At least two of the 13 pigeons i shot were 35 yds, the gun was a joy to use and having just one shot concentrates the mind.

My gun is an old cooey which is also full choke, i used the 3" 18gm eleys in no6 but couldn't help thinking there are better shells out there for decoying pigeons, probably a no7.

Very underated the 410 imo, and a joy to use.

post-57269-0-94565300-1458072609_thumb.jpg

fiocchi 19g 6s a good shell. eley fourlongs I do not rate. Stevo on here shoots more at pigeons with a 410 than I do so I would be steered by him.personally think 25-30 yards is my max range.Often take 410 for a walk about/squirrels etc if I was decoying for the day I would'nt see it as the right tool,yes fun but would lead to a smaller bag and letting pass lots of nice 40 yard+ shots I would take on with an oz+.

I note that JamesB above ''hits alot of rabbits at 40 yards +'' well I prefer the word kill and would stick to 25-30 yards to at least know a good shot would kill without needing some pattern luck.

Nice photo agaman.

25yds with them eley thangs!

If you see any #7 loadings in 410 offer a family member as security on them! You won't regret it!

From another post of mine that developed into a similar conversation I found a few 7's and 7.5's from JustCartridges.

Pellet count in brackets and cost per slab.

Eley 2.5” Fourlong 12.5g 5(96),6(121),7(149) £64.75
Eley 3” Magnum 18g 5(139),6(174),7(215) £74.75
Eley 3” Magnum Subsonic 18g 6(174) £80.00
Lyalvale Express 2.5” 14g 5(108),6(136),7(168),9(281) £65.50
Lyalvale Express 3” 16g 5(123),6(155) £72.50
Lyalvale Express 3” Magnasonic 17g 5(131) £75.50
Fiocchi 3” Magnum Plastic 19g 6 true English 5.5(159),7.5 true 7(228),8 true 7.5(268),9 true 8.5(342) £70.00

I had a couple of hours decoying with my 410 this afternoon, after way too many years and i was pleasantly suprised. At least two of the 13 pigeons i shot were 35 yds, the gun was a joy to use and having just one shot concentrates the mind.

My gun is an old cooey which is also full choke, i used the 3" 18gm eleys in no6 but couldn't help thinking there are better shells out there for decoying pigeons, probably a no7.

Nice picture aga man those 410 cooeys were built tough, i have a knock off spanish version badged THE VANGUARD and its pretty STANDARD :lol::blush: Showing my age now ill get me coat! :blush:

The rayour is much the same as a 12 just less lead in the air :)

You hit rabbits at 40yds yeah fine and they properly run in injured count the number of shots in a 410 cartridge and shoot at a pattern plate and see the spread at that distance if your

Shooting at rabbits at that range with a 410 using 3 inch or not then you should not be shooting at all 40yds plus unbelievable

The range is much the same as a 12 just less lead in the air :)

Most 410's seem to be full choke.

How do those of you with multi choke versions find them with a more open choke?

I've got a second standard barrel for my Hushpower which is also full choke but I was considering getting it opened up a bit.

Just don't know how much or if it's a good idea.

Cooey very underrated as well