.410 effective range

ElvisThePelvis

Smaller shot is fine it fills a few holes if your on the lighter loads weights. Not so sure when your into a heavy 3" load if it can become counter productive because it's a small tube at the end of the day

In theory a 14 grm load of 8 should level out with an 18 grm load of 5??

As long as the energy is enough it's enough but long strings and shot colliding could potentially create issues - but then I have never really tested that out on the plate

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put some over the chrony in the next couple of weeks when I get time Tony.

Apreciated i want to try reloads with the old single hammer .410 i have, just made a Roll turn over for it, made it on the super cheap less tthan 4 quid and even though i have three lathes, i made it so only tools i used were a junior hacksaw and the very same cheapo wickes pedistal drill i RTO everything else on. :yes:

The prices they ask for .410 RTOs is rediculous IMO.

Done zero patterning with .410s any of the .410 advocates got any pattern photos they are prepared to share here. ? And chrono figures i dont think anyone chronos .410s i can find no info. on a search here.

Chucked patterns of all my guns a few week ago- full of dust! Might do a few 410 over weekend

Apreciated i want to try reloads with the old single hammer .410 i have, just made a Roll turn over for it, made it on the super cheap less tthan 4 quid and even though i have three lathes, i made it so only tools i used were a junior hacksaw and the very same cheapo wickes pedistal drill i RTO everything else on. :yes:

The prices they ask for .410 RTOs is rediculous IMO.

Well done :-)

Well done :-)

You need ebay item 181149210581 threaded bush, get it in m8 x 1.25 mm thread 25mm wide and 30mm long you need a m8x1.25 mm bolt and nut with a long plain section. a hacksaw a small file or grinder if you have one. pedistal drill and a 12.5mm drill . drill the bush 18mm cut the head off the bolt stick the plain section of the bolt in the chuck ( Screw the nut on) , run a file over the very end of the threads untill roughly 6mm is clear of theads, unsure the start threads are tidy and the nut screws on and off fine, then. screw the bolt into the undrilled end of the bush leave it protruding 3 or 4mm into the throat, lock off the nut tight job done. Will take a few pictures of its built and rtos. it took literaly 4 mins to make, i timed it.

You need ebay item 181149210581 threaded bush, get it in m8 x 1.25 mm thread 25mm wide and 30mm long you need a m8x1.25 mm bolt and nut with a long plain section. a hacksaw a small file or grinder if you have one. pedistal drill and a 12.5mm drill . drill the bush 18mm cut the head off the bolt stick the plain section of the bolt in the chuck ( Screw the nut on) , run a file over the very end of the threads untill roughly 6mm is clear of theads, unsure the start threads are tidy and the nut screws on and off fine, then. screw the bolt into the undrilled end of the bush leave it protruding 3 or 4mm into the throat, lock off the nut tight job done. Will take a few pictures of its built and rtos. it took literaly 4 mins to make, i timed it.

Going to look into this. Thank you :-)

Going to look into this. Thank you :-)

Got the general idea off an American site think it was the firing line i have tried and tried to find the link again but cant thats the trouble using phone all the time, , i saw it looked practical easy enough, thought about how to go ,about it with no threading or too much drilling , then remembered those bushes on fleabay i use on some of my chopper frames i build, and decided it could be done cheap and with only the most common tools anyone has laid about.

• 4 years later...

Pattern you gun with many cartridges, my Huglu o,u with fiocchi 3 inch 7.5s which are an UK no 7 patern out to 40 metres,but my rfm sxs will on go to 30 meters. The first gun is 3/4 full the second is 1/4 and half, so find the best cartridge gun combination and pattern at sensible range and stick within these peramiters. The pattern will be very tight at close range so you need to let your target get a little bit away from you, or you have to be very accurate, but they work well and are enjoyable to use good luck.

Edited by Triumph2016

I use a 410 Mossberg hushpower they are full choke I pattern tested mine with Fiocchi  and ELEY 3 inch magnums both 18 gram and no 6’s and 7’s. This was out 30 yards and up to that point the patterns were consistent on all of them and there was plenty of energy to flatten the pellets. I don’t push my luck past that. 👍