beretta dt11 black edition

claytav

I have ordered a dt11, 30" black edition. should be ariving end of june. I presently use dt11 32" for sporting and more recently shooting registed esk, scores are not bad at moment averaging 93. but feel i'm still a bit slow on swing as rarely use maintained lead, thats why i'm going down to 30" barrels.

Has anyone else out there had any experience from stepping down to a 30 " livelier gun although the dt11 would still have nearly the same weight with adjustable weights in stock and barrel.

Also there are rumours that the black edition berettas ie 690, 692 have experienced that the black is coming off the action and the breach end of barrels.

I am hoping that it wont happen to a dt11.

How lively guns handle can have a great deal to do with their barrels actual weight (minus the action) so length in itself isn't necessarily a decider although most top shooters find that longer barrels help with longer targets and are steadier generally so make repeating the sight picture and hence higher scores easier.

I shot 28" for years before moving up to 30" which I stayed with for 10 years and then moved to 32" which I have now shot for 14-15 years, the experience and grounding probably helped each time in understanding that it takes time to adapt to and ultimately benefit from the longer barrels; there does seem to be a law of diminishing returns though as even expert shots rarely stick with 34". I personally find that when using shorter guns they feel less fluid and need to be driven and man handled more consciously.

I think there is every chance you'll gel well with the new 30" DT11 but you may well have found that a gun with lighter barrels albeit in the same 32" configuration would have been just as good if not better. It would be interesting to know what the actual weights of your present DT11's barrels and soon to be 30" version are, one of the very few criticisms of this model have been its relatively heavy barrels which I believe Beretta have tried to address on the newer ones with carbon ribs etc.

Thanks Hamster and shaun 4860. I started with 28" guns aswell and doing well on those days on 50 bird local open club shoots in derbyshire and staffordshire, this might have been in the late eighties,I am now 63, and now living in north wales, targets I think are much harder now , 50 and 60 yarders fast and awkward angles are now common, shooters are using longer barrels which are ballanced well and scores have got better, standards are higher on reg shoots.

Yes I am hoping i'm making the right decision on getting the 30"black edition dt11, big gamble from the 32", we are all trying to beat our personal best and still enjoying it.

A mate of mine bought a new 30" DT11 against my advice and shot it for a few months after which he traded it in for a little used 32" version which the original owner had ordered with Trap furniture :) , he prefers the new one as I do myself :lol: having shot two full rounds with it so far. The fit is not dissimilar to my own gun, maybe a little too low in the comb and the pitch could do with a tweak but my scores have been very comparable to my own gun which I've shot for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Called at mid wales and compared a 30" dt11 with my own 32" dt11,shot them both on skeet only missed 1 in 75, both guns felt the same, lead seemed the same,making me feel confused on what to do as in am I making the right decision going down to a 30". I compared them both on sporting layout to find the longer clays were easyer to hit and smoother control with the 32". That was the decider, having disgused it with Jonathan ,The order was then changed to 32" dt11black edition. Big thanks to Jonathan and wife at the superb ground for letting me use the 30" to try.

Called at mid wales and compared a 30" dt11 with my own 32" dt11,shot them both on skeet only missed 1 in 75, both guns felt the same, lead seemed the same,making me feel confused on what to do as in am I making the right decision going down to a 30". I compared them both on sporting layout to find the longer clays were easyer to hit and smoother control with the 32". That was the decider, having disgused it with Jonathan ,The order was then changed to 32" dt11black edition. Big thanks to Jonathan and wife at the superb ground for letting me use the 30" to try.

You know it makes sense :yes: the longer tubes are easier to sell too. :good: