Crossing Woodland Trust land to access permission

One of my recent permissions is walkable from my house which is fantastic for a quick walk around before or after work. I can walk along the roadside verge and am sure that as the gun is slipped I won't run into any difficulties should a Police car pass me as it is a public highway and that as it is slipped the gun won't cause alarm to members of the public.

There is a much shorter route for me to take but it involves crossing some woodland trust land by way of public footpath. I presume that so long is the gun is slipped I don't need to get woodland trust consent as I will be sticking to the public footpath?

'slipped' would avoid any issues. I don't believe it is law but it might be pragmatic to do so which is why I mentioned it. To walk from your home to your permission with an uncovered gun is perhaps not the best course of action. It might be completely different if you were already out on your ground and going from A to B with an unslipped gun say across a road or down a track - many people do that.

'slipped' would avoid any issues. I don't believe it is law but it might be pragmatic to do so which is why I mentioned it. To walk from your home to your permission with an uncovered gun is perhaps not the best course of action. It might be completely different if you were already out on your ground and going from A to B with an unslipped gun say across a road or down a track - many people do that.

Sorted. :good:

I can see your angle but surely if it is either a public right of way or even a 'open' permissive path (so permission for the public to use it is currently given) AND the user is going about lawful business then surely no complaint of any substance could even be fabricated? Is there anything we're missing because it sounds rather nice for the OP to walk there and back?

Edited by LeadWasp

I wouldn't cross Woodland Trust land with a gun under any circumstances unless I had the shooting on that land. You are only asking for trouble by doing so.

I am trying to find out whether it's a public footpath or permissive footpath, but do you think that this irrelevant? Maybe I should ask Woodland trust, the problem with that is they may say no, whereas if I dopant have to ask it's a non issue.

Yes but the question was asked several times in this thread as if it was a reasonable thing to be doing.

It's probably because there are certain members here that have a real bee in their bonnet if they have to do something the law doesn't state you MUST.

I agree with you, you're asking for trouble walking on a public footpath with a gun uncovered whether you're allowed to or not.