bruce lee and chuck norris

kody

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough question - the current (MMA) trend shows you've got to get the other fella on the floor and get wrestling and grappling (ooeerr). On that basis it's got to be chuck - he was both taller and heavier.

Does that not have a lot to do with the current prominence of Brazilian Jujitsu in MMA? And also the way the rules are written? Jkd takes a more "whatever works"approach, which isn't really suitable for competition, so it depends on your frame of reference. I suspect that, as ever, it would come down to the individual, not the art.

Lee beating Norris, probably, but depending on who has a good day and who has a bad day.

It's a tough question - the current (MMA) trend shows you've got to get the other fella on the floor and get wrestling and grappling (ooeerr). On that basis it's got to be chuck - he was both taller and heavier.

Chuck was taller and heavier however he had no experience in fighting other than point karate competitions and a little judo in the army.

Bruce on the other hand had some boxing experience and alongside his striking martials arts he had also studied some grappling arts.

Despite the size difference it`s advantage Bruce imo. If you don`t agree then go and find some footage of Royce Gracie in UFC 1 where despite his size (he was the smallest of the Gracie brothers) he destroyed everyone put in front of him with superior grappling. Being taller and heavier is great but on the ground skill counts and Bruce would seem to have the edge.

But put either of them in the ring with George St Pierre in his prime and they`d be destroyed. Actually the same would hold true for any number of UFC fighters. I couldn`t see either of them beating Diaz either.

Does that not have a lot to do with the current prominence of Brazilian Jujitsu in MMA? And also the way the rules are written? Jkd takes a more "whatever works"approach, which isn't really suitable for competition, so it depends on your frame of reference. I suspect that, as ever, it would come down to the individual, not the art.

Lee beating Norris, probably, but depending on who has a good day and who has a bad day.

Arguably BJJ is not as prominent as it was in the early days of the UFC. With fighters realising they have to train at wrestling and BJJ to seriously compete some of it`s early effectiveness has diminished. It still wins fights of course but few fighters can rely on it alone to win fights.

There are exceptions of course. Demian Maia leaps to mind. He`s so good that he makes most skilled black belts look ordinary. So when a fighter who is primarily a striker ends up on the ground with him they`re likely to find themselves in a world of pain.

The thing is that many of the top martial artists on the circuit back in the day were taking private lessons from Bruce including Chuck Norris, Louis Delgado, Mike Stone and Joe Lewis.

Then there's Bruce's regular students who were already formidable fighters when they started training under him. People like Dan Lee & Leo Fong who were both Golden Glove Boxing Champions, Ed Hart who was a professional boxer, Judo and Air Force Boxing champion Jesse Glover, Hayward Nishioka who was a Pan American Judo gold medalist.

All of them give credit to Bruce as being the real deal and he must have had something to offer for them to even give him the time of day.

It was the books of another Bruce, Bruce Tegner way back in the early 1970's which first stirred a longing in me and when I first saw the movies of Bruce Lee I was admittedly blown away. Back then when I was learning it was Benny the Jet and Bill 'Superfoot' Wallace who were the blokes doing it in the ring, but Bruce Lee grew up a street fighter.

Back then over here the hard cases were the likes of Terry O'Neil and to a lesser degree Ticky Donovan and some of the top Kyukushinkai fighters.

As an aside I once fought Eugene 'The Cat' Codrington; runner up in the 1981 (?) world championships and who once beat Steve Babbs, who in turn won at least one world championship title I think. He thrashed me of course but I got in one good one ( fast feet :) ) which caught him unawares. I paid for it of course. :yes:

Fastest fighter I ever saw was 7th Dan Toru Takamizawa. No more than about five feet tall he was a power pack of unbelievable reactions and once demonstrated the 5" punch on me while I held a chair seat over my stomach...thankfully. :yes:

Bruce would do Chuck I reckon and especially so on the street.