New stalking rifle

-ben-

Ive been given the go ahead for a new rifle a deer specific rifle ive got a 243 but thats being used for mainly foxing so i now have a excuse to get a new rifle i was thinking something along the lines of 308 or maybe 30-06 maybe something a little different not that hard to come buy as i dont reload yet. It will be for anything from roe up to reds. And the possibility in the future to take it for a go on the wild boar.

My first dedicated stalking rifle was a .308 based on the same quarry list as you, Roe-Red-Boar.

There might be a better rifle for this, or one thats more suited to that, but as one guy said to me "there's nothing that walks in this country that a .308 won't sit on its ****".

Ammo is readily available in a selection of bullet weights.

Recoil is not too excessive.

Mines zero'd an inch high at 100m so will shoot within a 4" circle out to beyond 200m its basically a point and shoot at woodland ranges.

A .308 will do what you want. :good:

Absolutely nothing wrong with either of those calibres, they'll certainly knock down anything that the UK has to offer.

Worth looking at 6.5x55mm as well. Go "heavy for calibre" with 140gr ammo, and you'll have a softer recoiling rifle that you can also shoot boar with under AOLQ.

Not as much factory ammo available as the .308 (probably more than .30-6 though), but either speak to your RFD and they'll order in, or look at reloading.

I use HPS-TR to reload all my ammo for me - 6.5x55mm 140gr SST and .308 165gr SST - for around £1/round and at that price it's not only cheaper, but more accurate than any factory ammo I've used.

Much like Pheasant Feeder, I have mine zero'd 2" high at 100yds, and have PBR of 240yds in the x55 and 250yds in the .308... "Range/Squeeze/Drop".

Enjoy!

.308 is good ammo from vertualy anywhere, or .270 a more interesting cal in my opinion. or sticking with a short action what about a . 708 .

3006 is a nice powerfull round but if you want to go up there why not do it with the ballistics of a 7mm and get a 7mm rem mag this is what i did and love it.

Of course for deer you don't need more than a 243 but for boar I should gun up, not that a well placed shot won't drop them just you might have to take a less settled aimed shot.

Just look out for the military calibre rule - I am not sure how much it applies now but 30-06 and 308 couldn't be taken into some European nations

Having been there in the past with this myself and shot various bigger things for deer - I should go for something bigger than a 30 cal

375 h&h etc if your going to gun up might as well gun up eh?

Worth looking at 6.5x55mm as well. Go "heavy for calibre" with 140gr ammo, and you'll have a softer recoiling rifle that you can also shoot boar with under AOLQ.

Not as much factory ammo available as the .308 (probably more than .30-06 though), but either speak to your RFD and they'll order in, or look at reloading.

+1 on 6.5x55

-1 on the above comment in red. The design of the 6.5x55 cartridge was based from its inception/adoption around the 140gr bullet - so how is that "heavy for calibre"??

The smaller 6.5 options (Grendel & Creedmoor) & the .260 Remington do tend to use the 123gr bullet as default, but not the 6.5x55

LOTS more factory ammo in 6.5x55 on my trips to Sweden than .308 - with 30-06 also being more common there. Moose, innit!!

+1 on 6.5x55

-1 on the above comment in red. The design of the 6.5x55 cartridge was based from its inception/adoption around the 140gr bullet - so how is that "heavy for calibre"??

The smaller 6.5 options (Grendel & Creedmoor) & the .260 Remington do tend to use the 123gr bullet as default, but not the 6.5x55

LOTS more factory ammo in 6.5x55 on my trips to Sweden than .308 - with 30-06 also being more common there. Moose, innit!!

140gr comment is based on how many folks use 120gr in x55 nowadays as MV seems to be de rigeur rather than energy. I just prefer heavy and slow

PS thanks for adding 0 in .30-06 - doh!

.275 Rigby (aka 7 x 57) a real classic and a bit of history, 7 x 64 better in my opinion than a 270, 30-06 also a classic. I do wonder about this "can't get ammunition stuff" I find that if you talk nicely to your RFD they will get stuff in and also it doesn't seem rocket science to plan ahead and keep a little bit in stock.

Yours grumpily,

David.

.275 Rigby (aka 7 x 57) a real classic and a bit of history, 7 x 64 better in my opinion than a 270, 30-06 also a classic. I do wonder about this "can't get ammunition stuff" I find that if you talk nicely to your RFD they will get stuff in and also it doesn't seem rocket science to plan ahead and keep a little bit in stock.

Yours grumpily,

David.

As a lover of random chamberings I'm happy to help people if their nearby many ask me to "hold" ammo they pay for in advance until they have space to put it on their ticket.

Yours grumpily,

David.

I love this caliber and use the little Rigby as my main deer gun..... but don't really suggest it for others as it is so old....... The 7.08 is just about the same now in terms of performance.

I've got 308 on my ticket. I had the 243 but I mainly use that for making big holes in foxes. I've shot a few deer with it but I really got a yen for something meatier and then the brother in law offered me a bit of stalking up in Scotland to shoot the big reds with some of his ghillies so I put in for the 308. Write a good letter explaining why you want it and your FEO should give you what you want. I compared roe and fallow to big heavy Suffolk sheep and reds to cows, you'd use a bigger calibre to put a cow down as opposed to a sheep. Got my eye on a second hand steyr in the gun shop by me when I get some pennies!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

.222, 50 grn. 243, 100 grn 6.5x55,120 through to 165 grn . .308 120 grn through to 165 grn

All soft point, all complete the job famously, I shoot all these calibers, for deer stalking the 6.5. Or .308 , both are fantastic accurate rounds

Whatever suits you in what you wish to achieve is the one to go for, the all rounder and bullet weight variance is the .308. I go to this over the 6.5 when out on fallow bucks or bigger just in casey it will drop anything in this non euro state. ( lol)

Good luck

Patrol