Pigeon decoys

mcmj

Hi guys, I am interested in doing a bit of pigeon decoying from a hide and was wondering if anyone experienced in this could give me some information. Which deeks do you recommend,FUDS, plastics, fully flocked or what. Also what kind of net and what size would you suggest for a hide? Finally, do you subscribe to a u or v shape decoy pattern or, as some now suggest, just put them out in a random pattern facing the wind? I will be using an air rifle by the way. Many thanks,Mark

There are numerous decoy patterns that work well, depending on the particular circumstances on the day. What might work one day won't work the next, so it's best to try one pattern and then change it if necessary. The various basic patterns are described here: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/153348-setting-a-pigeon-decoy-pattern/

Like with decoy patterns, there are numerous different decoys that you can buy. All work, and everyone has their favourite. Me, I really like FUDS. I usually use them in conjunction with dead birds on a whirly, then replace the FUDS with birds I've shot.

As for a hide net, I use a Jack Pyke clearview net as the inside layer, and then a more traditional thicker net as the outside layer, but hanging this about 12 inches lower than the top of the clearview net. This set up hides the majority of your body, but leaves a foot at the top that you can see through easily.

Hides and decoys aside, the best piece of advice that I can give you is to set up where the pigeons want to be, not where you want them to be!

Good luck!

Hi guys, I am interested in doing a bit of pigeon decoying from a hide and was wondering if anyone experienced in this could give me some information. I will be using an air rifle by the way. Many thanks,Mark

Try to find someone to go with. Although it can be done, an air rifle isn't really the right tool for shooting pigeons with. Have a look at clips on youtube of pigeon decoying. They don't exactly come and sit still long enough for you to pop them off with an air rifle. Body shooting them gives a cloud of feathers and usually the bird fly's off to die a long death somewhere, sometime. Not nice.

i hate fud's. Heavy, static take too long to set up, carry mud off wet ground, too hard to put in on dry, too small,lack versatility on stubble. With an air rifle perhaps pattern is more crucial as you need to create an on the ground kill zone rather than shooting the birds in flight with a shotgun. Same with the nets, whilst i use the set up descibed by Exudate above for shotgun. for air rifle you need to have the barrel free. I would suggest you look to incorporate a roof.

I had 30 old shells needing a repaint, then I spotted an advert for the sillosock covers, I bought 20, put them on and was amazed at the result, a-maz-ing, birds passing hundreds of yards away will come in to get a look, many land right between the shells without any hesitation,

I have repeated this decoying with the covers on several times and every time is the same, A1 recommendation from me, I have just ordered another 10 to do the rest of the shells, top job. :yes::yes:

I had 30 old shells needing a repaint, then I spotted an advert for the sillosock covers, I bought 20, put them on and was amazed at the result, a-maz-ing, birds passing hundreds of yards away will come in to get a look, many land right between the shells without any hesitation,

I have repeated this decoying with the covers on several times and every time is the same, A1 recommendation from me, I have just ordered another 10 to do the rest of the shells, top job. :yes::yes:

Out of interest where did you get these, I've got some old shells that could do with revamping.

Rob

Hope your right, just ordered a few.

Can I ask where you got these from ?

Can I ask where you got these from ?

www.UKShootwarehouse.com

We are the only distributors of the UV Sillosock Pigeon Jackets within the UK , And i'm very glad to hear so many people are liking them. I use them on all my shells myself and believe it makes them look a lot better.

Unfortunately we have had a really big surge in orders on the UV Jackets and have sold a lot more than expected over the last month! So we are currently out of stock until the end April! :(

www.UKShootwarehouse.com

We are the only distributors of the UV Sillosock Pigeon Jackets within the UK , And i'm very glad to hear so many people are liking them. I use them on all my shells myself and believe it makes them look a lot better.

Unfortunately we have had a really big surge in orders on the UV Jackets and have sold a lot more than expected over the last month! So we are currently out of stock until the end April! :(

Um, i bought the whole decoy,s So can i just take the sock off an put it on a shell, or wouldn`t that work ? but to be fair they have only just arrived so haven`t given them a go, might be an idea to give them a go first ,you think,lol.

Um, i bought the whole decoy,s So can i just take the sock off an put it on a shell, or wouldn`t that work ? but to be fair they have only just arrived so haven`t given them a go, might be an idea to give them a go first ,you think,lol.

Personally i use a mixture of sillosock decoys (like the ones you've bought) and shells with the UV jackets on. So i would not advise taking the socks off the decoys. Give them a go! they give alot of movement to the pattern and are very light weight ! Also the jackets come with elastic so they grip the shells whereas the socks on the decoys don't.

Let us know how you get on with them :)

Personally i use a mixture of sillosock decoys (like the ones you've bought) and shells with the UV jackets on. So i would not advise taking the socks off the decoys. Give them a go! they give alot of movement to the pattern and are very light weight ! Also the jackets come with elastic so they grip the shells whereas the socks on the decoys don't.

Let us know how you get on with them :)

Many thanks for the reply, and will do :yes:

Had a bit of a go today, set the decoys out an within two minutes a pigeon dropped right in the middle of the deeks, the rest of the day was a little slow,but like every-one else,with the same problem, the pigeon only have to move a couple fields away ,too much food around at the moment, so in fairness the jury is still out, but to say i was impressed would be an understatement.