Super Vet

la bala

Waiting for someone to do a SuperVet/Great British Bakeoff mash up.....sick rabbit getting operated on....comes out all better with a puff pastry jacket & a side order of posh chips. Nom!

Got two dachshunds here so always like the episodes when the breed is on. The dax pup was a stunner!

I have to agree with Sako. Advances in medical and veterinary science are incredible but it doesn't really factor in quality of life. I had a beautiful whippet bitch. Fastest, prettiest, most conformationally correct little thing you would ever see. She was like a rabbit seeking missile. She got knocked over by a bike and broke her leg. The vets gave me 3 options, 2 of which would I felt ultimately lead to the 3rd which was amputation. If had the little dog since she was 8 weeks old and knew her inside out and took the 4th option and had her put down. No way would she have stood to be bandaged and stitched and caged for months whilst it healed. Sometimes the kindest thing is to do the hardest thing. Vets are running a business at the end of the day and they're there to make money.

Whats going on tonight, the actual surgery is being ghosted out. has some do gooder been complaining. If they dont like it maybe someone should introduce them to the channel change button. Rant over.

Are you sure your not getting the start of cataracts :lol:

I guess I have a different opinion from many of those commenting on this thread.

I think he is a remarkable chap and pushing the boundaries of veterinary medicine as well as challenging convention in having an integrated approach to surgical development across both animal and human.

On the Supervet TV show we will never see the cases that he refuses to take and have the animal put to sleep, that would make pretty rubbish TV.

Sometimes he does carry out procedures that could be argued to be more about ego than ethics, but by the same token any procedure that is now carried out routinely was pioneering at some point in time. Not so very long ago a hip replacement on a dog was seen as being on the edge of cruelty or unethical, yet now it is relatively a routine procedure.

Of course it could be said that some of the animals operated on by NF are guinea pigs to some extent for his imagination or inventiveness, but without this type of approach we would never develop in medicine.

I daresay many would be happier to see a dose of the blue juice administered to despatch a dog instead of pioneering surgery, but very many people have been given the luxury of spending more time with a loved pet that is enjoying a significantly better quality of life.