Rape Fields. How ? ?

chipper

Hi all

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times..

Was lucky enough to be asked by a farmer to shoot 'them blooming pigeons' on rape fields. In total there's about 300 acres (possibly more).

Luckily, a mates house overlooks these fields and he's always calling me to say there are literally hundreds (at least 600+) daily hitting the rape.

But when i turn up and hunker down with all the decoying kit, hides etc etc...i shoot ****** all (a dozen max and its all goes dead), They all seem to disappear.

What am i doing wrong ? ? ?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Join the club of thousands , thats rape for you , lucky is the pigeon shooter that has birds hitting the rape all day long.

Quick and easy for them to bulk up on rape and move onto the next rape field if disturbed, if other local rape fields are cover'd by a gun chance's can be a little better as disturbed pigeon move from on field to another.

Edited by deny essex

hello, 300 acres is a lot of ground to cover, you could try a few bangers around the outer edge if there are no other rape fields near so they might move your way once they are in the air and see your deeks, or look for a flight line, are you using a whirly gadget ? never used myself but i did watch someone using one about 60mtrs out from hide on an adjacent farm to good effect, birds were coming from woods in 2 directions quite far away and high and soon as the see the whirly and deeks down they came, good luck

We tried to organise one day a week when the neighbouring shoots would have guys out pigeon shooting to try and keep the flocks from settling in quiet areas. Another tactic was to put out pigeon scarers, basically plastic carrier bags attached by a couple of metres of line to long sticks so they blew about in the wind. Trouble was it took forever to put enough out and then collect them afterwards.

same problem here........mind you i had a bit of sport the other day...

i found out where the birds were going after a couple of shots.....and it was another field on the same farm ...so i started the gas banger up where they were going and it sent them back to me...they got wise to it after a while but i had some sport for 3 hours ...