X5 3.0d 57/58

picardy

Great on road, not sure about off road, heavy car so suspension and bushes will be worn if they haven't been replaced. Need FSH as turbos can let go if not fed fresh oil on a regular basis. The Top Gear team once said that the BMW 3lt diesel is the best oil burner ever.

As above just bushes and things like that really anti roll bar bushes like to go as do lower rear bushes. Service history is the main thing. Also good way of telling what type of tyres the car has on it. If it has budgets means they don't like spending money on it premium tyres chances are it's been looked after.

Watch out for water ingress on rear light (usually fog light) unit due to seal failure as a fairly common problem. New gasket type OEM cheap on EBay and simple DIY replacement. Other than that my 125k 07 has had no problems but don't use it seriously off road.

Ran a 07 for 3.5 years. Put 75k on the clock, Best alround motor I have had and would have another in a heart beat. Got used as a pigeon truck, day car the lot. A lot more capable than top gear watchers give them credit for. Excellent all wheel drive system mated with proper tyres and they will go a lot further off road than you think. Mine was the Se version so softer suspension which works better off road. It never ever got stuck but I didn't try climbing mountains in it. Also stay away from 20" wheels as they eat tyres on the insides. I ran 19"'s and ditched the run flats. Only replaced one wheel hub in all the time I had it plus regular servicing. FSH for the engine will tell you it's seen oil changes frequently as engines and boxes are expensive if they go wrong but rarely do. Powerful 236bhp engine, averaged 27mpg and the accelerator was used. Comfortable, spacious, like sat in a 5 series saloon and best road manners in its class cept for the cayenne. Servicing was not as expensive as you may think just use decent oil.

Just remembered when I first got it we had a really cold winter minus 15. I had two small issues sorted under warranty. Rear led light stopped working. Replacement part £200 and headlight washer popped up and sprang off. It happened to a lot of 5's and 6's that year due to the extreme temps.

Had the 3.0d with all the bells and whistles was a fantastic car to drive but Christ it nearly bankrupted me on mechanical bills, the engine was bullet proof but the electrics were not!

Air suspension problems, lights and corrosion on the connectors were a pain in the **** then mine blew the gearbox coming back from Glencoe, 2k Bill!

Apparently the torque converter wasn't designed to cope with the grunt and therefore disintegrates sending metal into the box!

Had one as a company car, 3.0 twin turbo d, I did over 100k in 2 years, sorry to say this but I'm glad it wasn't my own car as it spent far too much time in the garage being repaired.... Unlike the Audi a6 3.0 d I had before it... The a6 did 210k without one engine fault.....

Tedly