First shotgun

jeddy11

Hi All

Have applied for my SGC after coming back into the sport after 20 years ! Used to do a lot of pigeon shooting / ferreting etc but alas the family and kids come along and it all went on hold.

I have been shooting air rifles at the permission i have and the farmer has ok'd me to use shot gun so all is good.

Id like to get into clay shooting as well as well as hunting my clay experience is limited so may pay for some lessons.

Thats enough back ground info....

I have been looking at various shotguns like a kid in a sweet shop and like the look and feel of a browning 525 sporter but was wondering if i should buy new which i have been advised to by many people i have spoken to or second hand ? It seems the second hand market from RFD is strong and you only save a couple of hundred on a new gun, so is it better to go new with the guarantees and new gun feeling or shop around and get a second hand gun ? or go private even ?

Im open to other first gun choices still as well !!

thanks for any help.

Can not go wrong with Browning/ Miroku, and its your best option IMO.

One other course of action you could take is buy a cheap used Baikal O/U get you some breathing space, while you look around and get the right gun. And it will always be there as a back up spare and you wont have that much money in it to be thinking of moving it on.

Very unlikely to need the gaurantee up to u but you loose 20% out the door. My advice is buy a grade 3/5 miroku mk38 basically the same gun but much nicer than gd1 525 and will hold its money well

Edited by HDAV

I'm in the same boat but looking for my first gun. Went to my local gun shop and found beretta fitted well. They had a beretta sv10 there up for £1400 new. any one any one have this gun? Going to another gun shop to have a look see what about as if rather not take the loss of a new one.

Well , I'd say it all depends on your budget and how much you want to spend ..

I'd say get the best gun you can even if its second hand .. In most cases they will feel more comfortable and fit better ,, however not all I've shot some cheap guns and done extremely well ..

I'd suggest handling a few guns even going out with other shooters and trying some of their guns to get an idea of weight and recoil see what handles best

Plus I've bought many second hand guns and they were fine if your on a buget save the £££ buy insurance and cartridges

Good luck

Edited by Terry2016

I'm in the same boat but looking for my first gun. Went to my local gun shop and found beretta fitted well. They had a beretta sv10 there up for £1400 new. any one any one have this gun? Going to another gun shop to have a look see what about as if rather not take the loss of a new one.

Have a search something tells me there were some issues with early ones, nice guns a step up from the entry level silver pigeon, but don't just hold it in the shop have a shoot with it they can feel totally different when you pull the trigger live compared to in the shop

£1400 sounds cheap new though........

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/326694-beretta-sv10/?hl=sv10

Edited by HDAV

Mate of mine normally uses a Beretta Silver Pig and has done so for about 4 years. Couple of weeks back his gun was in for a service so I loaned him my spare FIAS Sporterised Trap gun ( a high rib gun that I have had the chokes opened out to 1/4 & 1/2) that I bought from this very site for £150.....you can probably guess the rest.....highest score to date and he was one happy bunny. Moral is - get one that fits you and NOT your wallet.

My oldest son came shooting with the youngest and I after showing little interest has bought a baikel had it about a year had a few lessons and has been advised the gun fits him perfectly and there is no need to buy a "better" gun unless of course he wants a nice posh new gun

Someone on here put it perfectly "there's nowt wrong with a gun you can drive a fence post in with then shoot a few pigeons"

I must be the strange one here, I dont buy a gun on how well it holds its price when I sell i tend to keep and also never brought a car looking at the resell value and in any case many guns brought secondhand probably are never anywhere near the price asked which is why they stay around so long

For £1500 you can buy any of 22 Browning B25's on guntrader or many other guns and the cost of gun repairs is normally very little on the most common guns and I guess the most common repairs are to new guns rather than worn in guns

Edited by ChrisAsh

i must be in a minority on here i have 6 shotguns i can switch between any of them and i shoot every one equally well or bad depending on the day,none have been fitted to me,but they all feel good to me,,,maybe thats why i am comfortable swoppin an changin dependin on the day/time of year/quarry etc.and price/name doesn,t come into to it,too much emphasis is given on certain makers.oh and i have been shootin for over 50 years.

Edited by hawkfanz