port talbot

armsid

see that tata steel giving decision on steel plant i hope that the right outcome is announced to stay and invest the same answer keeps coming up high energy and no support from gov. not alevel playing field. Germany and France keep their steel energy prices down no green taxes no large rates bills and a procurrment sector encouraged to buy their own steel. as the union officer said we will not be a manufacturing nation just an importer.your thoughts please pw members

With our political position as it is, we cannot compete in steel.

I'd suggest a switch to building up our aluminium closed loop supply chain and go for higher added value components especially addressing lightweighting in the aerospace and automotive -including hybrids- sectors.

With our political position as it is, we cannot compete in steel.

I'd suggest a switch to building up our aluminium closed loop supply chain and go for higher added value components especially addressing lightweighting in the aerospace and automotive -including hybrids- sectors.

The solution can only be 21st Century logistic flexibility.

(Thanks to the PlainEnglish Gobbledegook generator)

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/gobbledygook-generator.html

Edited by felly100

You cannot begin to imagine the devastation this will cause. Once it shuts it will NEVER reopen. Cheap Chinese steel is no reason to let our own industry die. Its just so bloody short term it makes me sick.

Its like the coal, I have no time for the way the miners tried to hold the country to ransom but why pay dole when it costs no more to pay wages? Was Polish coal that cheap? No, and we are still buying it despite sitting on a thousand years worth of the best coal in the world.

Every pound that leaves this country is a pound gone forever. Every pound paid out in this country goes round and round and gets spent a hundred times over.

Watching the news this am and we have union reps complaining that the government aren't doing enough and are only vaguely keen on a management/workforce buyout, all the while biging-up how good the workforce and steel are and how profitable the plant could be in public ownership.

Now I have a radical idea - if the plant is so good and only needs a little work to be highly profitable, why doesn't the union buy it. Just think of the funds it could generate.

Ok - Tin hat on and back below the parapet.

Don't knock the workers,there's load of very skilled men near you in Darley Dale that need our support.

Not knocking the workers they earn their money and often put their money in - I am asking a radical question - the union leaders continuously tell us how profitable this, that, or the other entity is so why do they not support their members by investing in that entity themselves instead of demanding that others do.

Any steel fabricators on here? I've heard the cheap Chinese steel isn't very good,recycled washing machines etc,also heard a lot of ships being built with steel nothing like it used to be,I bet the British steel is still better and should be saved by whatever agencies and govt. The news said a million pounds a day losses that's incredible!

The plant is losing £1m a day. The Goofy idiot of an ex Labour leader introduced stupidly high energy tariffs. The EU slapped a 24% anti dumping tariff on imported chinese steel, the US slapped a 224% tariff.

Perfect storm.

You can't compare the banks to this. Had the banks not been helped, it would have been 1929 all over again but worse.

What does a steel plant cost these days?

PW whip-round?

If Port Talbot was a bank, I'm pretty sure that the Treasurey would find some money from somewhere.

It's a pity HM Governmemt can't send some of its foreign aid budget to Wales...

LS

It does, same with Scotland :whistling:

15,000 men on the dole, how much will that cost the taxpayer? and for how many years? plus the job losses in all the feeder industries. Local shops going bust etc. Its going to be more like 50,000 on the dole, basically forever and into the next generation and the one after that.

And all that time we will be buying heavily subsidised steel from abroad, how can that make sense?

Subsidise it like the Germans do.

I don't think you can, we do seem to have a very emotional attachment to our old heavy industry and whilst not taking away from the shop floor men who do a dangerous and dirty job, along with the coal industry, there seemed/seems to be an expectation of a job for life.

Is this fair based on the dirt and danger?- A bit like the military covenant? Or an unreasonable expectation.

Should we take a strategic approach and renationalise coal, gas, water and Steel at any cost?

I don't think you can, we do seem to have a very emotional attachment to our old heavy industry and whilst not taking away from the shop floor men who do a dangerous and dirty job, along with the coal industry, there seemed/seems to be an expectation of a job for life.

Is this fair based on the dirt and danger?- A bit like the military covenant? Or an unreasonable expectation.

Should we take a strategic approach and renationalise coal, gas, water and Steel at any cost?

I worked for Freight liner years ago, part of British Rail. I left because of the boredom of having nothing to do half the time. On nights I could go down the yard, turn all the lights on and practise in the surrounding woods on my trials bike. Used to go rabbiting in the field next door, in a unit !! :lol: Very well paid, very little to do, so over staffed it was like being on holiday. Another nationalised company.

I'm not a steel fabricator but we put in a fair few I beams and box lintels. Most noticeable is the utterly awful quality of breaker bits from 2kg sds up to the heavy stuff. They either snap during normal use or blunt off at a ridiculous speed. Plaster beads that bleed through the plaster as they are poorly galvanised, reebar that you can bend by hand, strong boys that bend too easily etc.

I never thought I'd say it but we should subsidise our steel industry

Edited by digger

The Chinese government subsidises steel production to the tune of 8 billion pounds a year, we cannot compeat no country can, we need to tax steel imports like the UDA & force the Chinese plants to close

I lost my job in the Redcar steel plant 6 months ago

kennym sorry to hear bof your loss of work haviong listened tothe business secratary on the news they seem to be up the creek without a paddle keep qouting EU law on gov.intervention the germans don,t pay green taxes and the german gov.makes sure that the energy costs are low why can,t we do the same after we the taxpayer bailed out the banks after they screwed us why not steel without it no home produced steel for HS2

Government aren't interested in steel, as far as they're concerned you can get a job behind a supermarket till while they concentrate on city jobs for the boys. Looking after what we call skilled blokes (and they call riff raff) just gets in the way of their real interests.

as vince green rightly pointed out it is not 15000 jobs its all the feederjobs and the gov. would rather pay dole etc.than save the jobs more debt for the country less tax in the treasury and come the in /out vote (we need to stay in theEU to supply all our top grade steel for ships and HS2) how many uninformed would accept that.i test mot m/cycles and the chinese bikes are ****

Edited by armsid