young pigeon shooters

What happened to some of the young up and coming shooters that used to post on here ?

Have all us old f'tarts scared them off ?

Is there a lack of new youngsters interested in shooting ?

Have game box's etc taken away the next generation of prospective decoy'ers?

The reason that got me thinking was I have replaced some of my kit recently and although my old kit was old batterd and beaten like me :yes: , some of it could still be of use to a local youngster to save some pennies.

I'm old school and find it difficult to throw stuff away that may have a little use left in it .

I suppose not all young shots have the confidence to come on here discussing and asking but probably do visit this forum. I would of thought the young fraternity of shooters is high at the moment as its getting more and more popular. When I was young I used to play video games but if I had the chance to go decoying or any other type of shooting I wouldn't even think about games. Or they've just found girls :-) . The thing is with advertising free stuff for youngsters, is that you don't know if it's some older bloke grabbing free gear.

BASC are running a young shots introduction to Wood pigeon shooting course in your area in May,

I will get the date and edit this post.

Tuesday May 31st

Young Shot Progression Day - Woodpigeon Shooting (Norfolk)
Mid Norfolk Shooting Ground, Deighton Hills,Fakenham Rd

I am sure some one from BASC could arrange to collect the bits and pieces or if not I will pay for postage. It could then be given to someone or at the course, a scheme could maybe be worked how to distribute it depending on quantity.

Who knows maybe able to top it up a little with other bits and pieces from other kind people like your good self.

Please let me know if this is something you may be interested in doing.

There is also a Introduction to Wood Pigeon Shooting Course at North Walsham on 30th April, see BASC Web Site for more information.

Cheers

Terry

Edited by bakerboy

It's more likely due to the fact that permissions are pretty much impossible to find because us older shooters have got them all sewn up.....

Too true. On here a farmer posted about wanting shooters and all the "experienced" shooters did their beat to scare the farmer away from less experienced shooters. Saying things like "inexperienced shooters will only scare the pigeons away".

It's more likely due to the fact that permissions are pretty much impossible to find because us older shooters have got them all sewn up.....

I struggle to find places to pigeon shoot, i shoot a lot of game during the season but really find it difficult to gain permissions due to working so many hours and everywhere already having people on their land. And i've also found people arent interested in helping out if you dobt post a lot on the forum, problem being I dont really write a lot but i'm on here every day

I Maybe classed as a youngster (23) I love shooting but only get on the pigeons really in Feb.(roost shooting) and whenever I'm invited by friends on there perms/land. I'd love a permission but they're not easy to aquire. Also working a lot and other commitments reduce time in which I can go looking for one and shoot one once found. I hear there's a few shooting things on Facebook but I hate fb and will not sign up. I learn from this forum and enjoy the posts of othe members.

It's a combination of a few things in my opinion

1) shooting is expensive and unlike a lot of sports very restrictive to get into with having to have land before applying for your licenses etc.

2) it's very hard to get land to shoot on in the first place, let alone land that is "productive" , unfortunately it's a bit disheartening going out shooting time after time after time with no success.

3) lack of experienced people who can mentor or take people under their wing. I was very lucky two lads off here for me started and they were top blokes! I'm sure many others have done similar but unfortunately with the difficulty getting permission often people don't want to take anyone on their land in fear of them going back and asking for permission without you! This had happened to people so they ruin it for the good blokes

All is not lost!

i have 2 young lads up and coming in the shooting world, both now regular beaters on a couple of local shoots, both starting to learn how to handle and dispatch of shot game.

Next will be some clays to get them used to shooting then hopefully next year onto live game.

Another factor why less lads are coming through is alot of shoots will not allow them to attend shoots for health and safety reasons let alone the hassle of paying them!!!

these 2 lads get paid the same as all other beaters but are expected to do the same amount as the others which they do.

The keepers are shocked after the first day on their attitude to the job and their social skills with fellow beaters.

Lets hope they stay into it and not find fanny , beer or worse!!

It's a combination of a few things in my opinion

1) shooting is expensive and unlike a lot of sports very restrictive to get into with having to have land before applying for your licenses etc.

2) it's very hard to get land to shoot on in the first place, let alone land that is "productive" , unfortunately it's a bit disheartening going out shooting time after time after time with no success.

3) lack of experienced people who can mentor or take people under their wing. I was very lucky two lads off here for me started and they were top blokes! I'm sure many others have done similar but unfortunately with the difficulty getting permission often people don't want to take anyone on their land in fear of them going back and asking for permission without you! This had happened to people so they ruin it for the good blokes

You do not need land to shoot to apply to for a SGC .

Pigeon shooting is a really tough thing to get into without knowing anyone to give you a foot in the door so to speak. I'm lucky enough to have been going with my old man since I was 12 (I'm 33 now). A son of a farmer friend is 14 now and so keen on anything shooting related, I've taken him decoying a couple of times now and will continue to do so if he's keen....he's lucky though as he lives on an arable farm!

I don't know if I count as young (34) but I'm new into shooting (a couple of years). I would definitely like to get into pigeon shooting in the future but it seems like it's pretty hard for someone so new as I'd be in competition for permissions with people with more experience than myself. It's kind of a catch 22. I'd happily just go along as a helping hand and not shoot just to learn the ropes and pick up some knowledge but even getting that kind of opportunity is pretty daunting.

I started shooting when I was 14, I'm now 20 (21 in June) and come on here everyday pretty much it's a constant tab on my phone, it's better than FB lol!

When I first started shooting, it's all I ever spoke about, looked at online and wanted to do every second of the day. I then got a girlfriend... Enough said ha;) only kidding, with uni and other commitments I seem to want to spend my free days to my self and not do anything, but since I have a long summer with being off uni from mid May, I will be going down to my permission a lot more than I have been doing recently and spark my buzz once more.

As many of you know, I've been using my camera a lot more than the shotguns recently - I think one major thing as has been said, you go out time after time and spend ours sitting and waiting and Bagging one pigeon - I completely understand that's the nature of the sport but it would be nice to have one decent bag. I think it's a combination of being young and having a lack of experience if I'm honest though.

I was only thinking about half an hour ago, 'I must get out to the farm with my gun and put a bit more time in to my shooting again'

Dave

After the replies and thinking about it we had 4 juniors ( adult club members sons) from the age of 8 going shooting with dad.

As they got older , a combination of school, college, girls and work overtook the shooting as it did with my own son.

A shame we dont see more of them contributing to the forum giving some fresh outlooks and adding the air of excitement we all felt when we started pigeon shooting.

I don't know if I count as young (34) but I'm new into shooting (a couple of years). I would definitely like to get into pigeon shooting in the future but it seems like it's pretty hard for someone so new as I'd be in competition for permissions with people with more experience than myself. It's kind of a catch 22. I'd happily just go along as a helping hand and not shoot just to learn the ropes and pick up some knowledge but even getting that kind of opportunity is pretty daunting.

You are welcome to come out with me if you want to learn the ropes.

Drop me a PM.

Terry

I started shooting when I was 14, I'm now 20 (21 in June) and come on here everyday pretty much it's a constant tab on my phone, it's better than FB lol!

When I first started shooting, it's all I ever spoke about, looked at online and wanted to do every second of the day. I then got a girlfriend... Enough said ha;) only kidding, with uni and other commitments I seem to want to spend my free days to my self and not do anything, but since I have a long summer with being off uni from mid May, I will be going down to my permission a lot more than I have been doing recently and spark my buzz once more.

As many of you know, I've been using my camera a lot more than the shotguns recently - I think one major thing as has been said, you go out time after time and spend ours sitting and waiting and Bagging one pigeon - I completely understand that's the nature of the sport but it would be nice to have one decent bag. I think it's a combination of being young and having a lack of experience if I'm honest though.

I was only thinking about half an hour ago, 'I must get out to the farm with my gun and put a bit more time in to my shooting again'

Dave

Not sure how far from Wrexham you are, but maybe this course may help you.

24 Apr Introduction to Woodpigeon Shooting - Rossett, Wrexham

BASC Head Office, Marford Mill,Rossett