FIELD TARGET COMPETITIVE SHOOTING,,, part 1

evo

GP 2 OLDHAM

well chaps I,ve had a month since the 1st GP at byley and a bit more time to spend practicing with the rifle,

got to Oldham and it was set in a stunning wood and the guys has put up a difficult 15 lane 30 target course, with a bit of a breeze making things that bit more difficult I couldn,t wait to get started,

got to the first lane which happened to be lane 13 (unlucky for some) which the first target was a 35yrd kneeler I got down and missed it, great start to the day, I hit the second which was 26yrds which calmed the nerves a bit, its always good to start on a sitting lane to get rid of those nerves but 1 down already so not a good start, the next lane was a 55yrd and 36 yrder I dropped the 55yrder but split the 36yrder so that's 2 missed in two lanes (4 targets) I was already one behind the guy I was paired with, I then got my act together and dropped both targets then it was off to lane one, the first target was another 55yrd sitting target and a 45 yrd second, now the first target was in the open field and with a gusting wind coming from left to right this made things very difficult,

I dropped them both and was well happy, it was then on the next lane my first mishap happened , it was two kneeling shots, 26 and 30 yrds the first I hit just centre half a pellet out and the second I was just about to pull the trigger (I thought ) and the rifle fired another bloody miss, I,ve got my trigger set very light and I,m still getting to grips with it, I was gutted as I was getting my act together and that happened,

anyway I missed a total of 7 targets which was good enough to win c class on the day and only 4 shots behind 2nd overall which I was more than happy with, it was better than my first comp and I,m 2nd overall in c grade at the moment which considering its my first attempt at target shooting I,m even suprising myself,

one thing I do know is I,m improving, dave schofield only missed one and that was a 32yrd stander which I dropped so I was well pleased , I hit all the standers today which was my downfall last comp but I,ve been practising kneelers and standers when I get any spare time,,

another thing is I,ve totally erased any fliers in taking great care with my pellets getting them ready for the comps,

roll on the next one as I cant wait, its in two weeks time in stockport

atb Evo

Edited by evo

GP 2 OLDHAM

well chaps I,ve had a month since the 1st GP at byley and a bit more time to spend practicing with the rifle,

got to Oldham and it was set in a stunning wood and the guys has put up a difficult 15 lane 30 target course, with a bit of a breeze making things that bit more difficult I couldn,t wait to get started,

got to the first lane which happened to be lane 13 (unlucky for some) which the first target was a 35yrd kneeler I got down and missed it, great start to the day, I hit the second which was 26yrds which calmed the nerves a bit, its always good to start on a sitting lane to get rid of those nerves but 1 down already so not a good start, the next lane was a 55yrd and 36 yrder I dropped the 55yrder but split the 36yrder so that's 2 missed in two lanes (4 targets) I was already one behind the guy I was paired with, I then got my act together and dropped both targets then it was off to lane one, the first target was another 55yrd sitting target and a 45 yrd second, now the first target was in the open field and with a gusting wind coming from left to right this made things very difficult,

I dropped them both and was well happy, it was then on the next lane my first mishap happened , it was two kneeling shots, 26 and 30 yrds the first I hit just centre half a pellet out and the second I was just about to pull the trigger (I thought ) and the rifle fired another bloody miss, I,ve got my trigger set very light and I,m still getting to grips with it, I was gutted as I was getting my act together and that happened,

anyway I missed a total of 7 targets which was good enough to win c class on the day and only 4 shots behind 2nd overall which I was more than happy with, it was better than my first comp and I,m 2nd overall in c grade at the moment which considering its my first attempt at target shooting I,m even suprising myself,

one thing I do know is I,m improving, dave schofield only missed one and that was a 32yrd stander which I dropped so I was well pleased , I hit all the standers today which was my downfall last comp but I,ve been practising kneelers and standers when I get any spare time,,

another thing is I,ve totally erased any fliers in taking great care with my pellets getting them ready for the comps,

roll on the next one as I cant wait, its in two weeks time in stockport

atb Evo

Cracking result, told you that you wouldn't be far behind on that one ;) good luck with the next one fella 👍

The more I read this the more I want to start back up. The problem competing is keeping up with the latest kit . I found I had play in my scope and really needed another £1200 for the scope I wanted/needed in the end so gave up.

just gutted I didn,t start years ago, talking of scopes, the top two being used in FT at the moment are the sightron s111 £1100 and the nikko sterling sportsman £895 these are being used by all the top lads,

I found the optics warehouse were selling the Big Nikko for only £675 in their sales so I bought one, a couple of the lads who have been using the sightron s!!! have said there is no difference between it and the nikko,

its the positional shots that win the comps, most people can nail the sitting shots but its the standers and the kneeling shots that let people down, this is what I,m working on at the moment but it is difficult,

tractor get back into it mate, the banter you have round a course is great and the people who are shooting these comps really are the most helpful bunch you can meet,

there is a guy I,ve been shooting with who,s kit cost him less than a £1000 and he shoots it superbly, I just love the atmosphere at the competitions and pitting my skills against others but the one thing I regret is ,,, not starting up years ago,

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

well all,

my first series has come to an end and what a journey and experience it has been, This was my first attempt at shooting competitively and its been a challenge to say the least,

in the end I have finished 2nd in C grade in the Northwest so first shooting trophy for me lol , its been a most enjoyable journey and I have met some fantastic new friends around the country who have all gone out of there way to help me improve my kit and also my shooting, I have learnt so much on this journey and although its been challenging it has also been very enjoyable and addictive.

I have just finished the North west summer series and in the last round shot a personal best but it just wasn,t good enough to sneak first place off my FT shooting buddy Mark,, we shot seven rounds against the top shooters in the northwest and also the country and to say those guys are awesome with a rifle is an understatement ,

the two most important things I have learnt is preparation and practice are so important in Field Target Shooting, so much so when all is well practicing then it gives you confidence to shoot in the comps, I have been on a learning curve for the last 6 months getting used to my rifle whilst also finding out exactly what pellet to use in that particular barrel, I spend hours and hours weighing pellets to ensure they are all the exact same weight and doing this has helped no end,

Practicing and testing pellets has been the hardest part because I was at first using the air arms EV2 mk4 then switched to my FTP900 three weeks ago testing it for the Euro,s at Weston park I have been getting the FTP900 ready over the last two months and finally used it for the last round of the summer series which gave me a massive boost, I have also shot 4 national GP,s this year and they have really opened my eyes as to just how good the competition is, some of these FT shooters really are like machines , their concentration level and how they read the wind is just unreal, they really are a pleasure to watch and shoot with,

my season ended last weekend with a trip to Weston Park to shoot the European Championships, I entered this to gain as much experience as I could and this was the reason I entered the National GP,s, this is the best thing I did,, it gave me a chance to meet and shoot with some of the best Field target shooters in Europe, some came from Germany,holland,Belgium,Italy,Portugal etc so it really was an eye opener,, anyway after day one I was only 4 targets behind the world champ and I got this by shooting a PB on Saturday then beat my PB on sunday, my standers again let me down , I have conquered my kneelers and find these ok now but to say I was overjoyed after the Euro,s is an understatement ,

I have now been moved to B grade although I shot most of the season in A grade due to my averages being high in the first three shoots, anyway this first season has seen me finish second in my grade, get moved up a grade and finish with two PB,s at the European Championships , so it has been a fantastic first season in Field target shooting and something I,ll remember for the rest of my days,

if anyone is interested in taking up FT or HFT all I can say is GO FOR IT , there are some fantastic people around the circuit and they go out there way to help, the BFTA website will give you all the details you need to know,,

well I,m now ready for the winter series starting on the 9th October and at the moment I,m full of confidence with how I,m shooting and how well my FTP is shooting,,

this sunday see,s me competing in the Northwest Knockout showdown so I,m really looking forward to that,,

thanks for reading and if you need any help in getting into competitive air rifle shooting then don't hesitate to ask as I,ll help as much as I can

all the best

Evo

Bob%20GP3%20Tawd%20Vale%202_zpsqzlbp2cb.

What a great start you have got off to Bob. I can see great things ahead bud. All the best for your next session :good:

cheers mate,, its been hard graft but certainly enjoyable,, it has taught me so much its unreal and I cant wait to get out on the rabbits now lol

I visited my FT club last weekend after 2-3 years away.

I admit I miss it but everyone has gone mad on money spent .

I've also lost my second friend who made my day every time I went. Try turning up and asking where Jim is to be told he's died :(

I'm going to visit soon with my BSA s10 and my lad.

What place did you manage at Weston ?

I visited my FT club last weekend after 2-3 years away.

I admit I miss it but everyone has gone mad on money spent .

I've also lost my second friend who made my day every time I went. Try turning up and asking where Jim is to be told he's died :(

I'm going to visit soon with my BSA s10 and my lad.

What place did you manage at Weston ?

I finished 53rd out of 162, very happy considering it was my first euro,s and I was 15 targets off the winner over the two days so well happy, it was mainly my standers that let me down but day two I started off bad as I dropped 6 shots in the first 5 lanes, not good I know but I got it back together and only droped 6 more shots on the next 40 targets ,

I cant complain as it was only my third comp using the FTP and I was up against the best FT shooters in Europe,

sorry to hear about your buddy also,

best wishes

Evo