A Kill In The Garden

wymberley

Ignorance would be a more accurate description. Don't you see that if birds of prey eat out their food source they too will die out? Correct management would ensure that both birds of prey and their victims will survive.

Unless they are supported like the Red Kite with wheel barrows full of food!!

Ignorance would be a more accurate description. Don't you see that if birds of prey eat out their food source they too will die out? Correct management would ensure that both birds of prey and their victims will survive.

What would you suggest JD regarding correct management, maybe an open few weeks on the raptors to level it out a little...

Next it will be the Ospreys and Sea Eagles for taking fish.

Still when we all get older we can show our grandchildren some images in books of the wildlife we used to have in our fine country. Or should I have said Tablet.

GG :good::good::good:

The same one's that were persecuted and nearly eradicated from our shores some time back.

GG :good::good::good:

Yes... the very same birds that are now breeding at high levels because of the large amount of food put out for them, so where is the balance there?

How come its ok to control Magpie numbers but not certain BOP, which bird does more damage to small/medium sized birds and mammal numbers, Magpies or Sparrow Hawks?

Splash and grab: Bird swoops in for the kill in these stunning pictures Photographer captured the impressive images on a trip to the Scottish Cairngorms.

It's a good job we don't get these in the West Midlands. ( obviously they would become a target for some unscrupulous characters )..

Not my image. Maybe one day...If there are any left..

Edited by GREENGRASS

Splash and grab: Bird swoops in for the kill in these stunning pictures Photographer captured the impressive images on a trip to the Scottish Cairngorms.

It's a good job we don't get these in the West Midlands. ( obviously they would become a target for some unscrupulous characters )..

Not my image. Maybe one day...If there are any left..

Yes a very beautiful and striking bird but the comment that accompanied the photo is just ridiculous.

Think you need to get real and stop looking at nature through a rose tinted camera lens.

I think that you will find that pesticides had a far bigger impact.

The Red Kite were persecuted almost to extinction in the 1800s with only a few pairs left in the 1900s a once common and protected scavenger in London they were killed because of their liking for hens and game bird chicks

The Red Kite were persecuted almost to extinction in the 1800s with only a few pairs left in the 1900s a once common and protected scavenger in London they were killed because of their liking for hens and game bird chicks

Sickening really. Let's kill them because there eating a few pheasants which are going to be shot anyway, probably cos the farmers lost a few quid on each bird. Evil ********

Edited by Shotguneddy

I put a lot of time and effort into preserving the last of the grey partridge on my shoot, they have been hanging on for about 15 years with on average 2 coveys on the 400 acres most years. It is absolutely galling to then see them killed by sparrowhawks, usually just before they should be nesting so it is not the "doomed surplus" being predated but potentially an entire covey removed from the autumn stubbles.

And to cap it all they then eat them alive. Lovely birds they are not, I have no time for them whatsoever.

That's interesting I though shooting them in decent numbers made a bigger difference then the sparrow Hawks taking them,I must of got it wrong again put the partridge are wild bred just like the grouse which estates make a fortune off some thing they haven't bought in and reared. Edited by lurchers

Yes... the very same birds that are now breeding at high levels because of the large amount of food put out for them, so where is the balance there?

How come its ok to control Magpie numbers but not certain BOP, which bird does more damage to small/medium sized birds and mammal numbers, Magpies or Sparrow Hawks?

You mean breeding well down south or Wales but they were introduced back up north to be shot and poisoned by gamekeepers and sindicates for a bird or birds (buzzards) but this doesn't happen off these good people.

Having flown Hawks for a couple of years myself I think Muskets are more appealing to me than spars, but birds of prey in general are all beautiful in my eyes. Been persecuted for years but everyone is entitled to their opinion it's the same same old story be it pike or zander on fish stocks, from which they are now a more highly respected species to be caught thank god which has now been replaced by a bigger problem the cormorant, to other species deer, fox, squirrel the list is endless but that's life