Big Bore Re-Loading

Bit of advice if I may ask:

Some years ago, I purchased an old AYA Matador that had been opened up to an 8 Bore. I got it as a bit of a talking point and never actually fired it in anger as could never find any cartridges. I sold it for £20 more than I paid for it and that was that.

Now I'd love another and see you can actually get kit to re-load your own cartridges. However I have never even thought or considered doing home re-loading, so:

A. Where do you start?

B: Is doing larger bore a waste of time?

C: Am I being stupid?

I haven't identified a new 8B yet - there are a few around that I keep looking at....

You wont find any new 8 bores. But as for reloading seen as the 8 bore is a obsolete gauge the only way to gain ammo is to reload them.

Even reloading 10 bore is worth it considering the cost of 10 bore ammo.

Im sure more of the big bore loaders can advise you better and put you in the right direction.

You wont find any new 8 bores. But as for reloading seen as the 8 bore is a obsolete gauge the only way to gain ammo is to reload them.

Even reloading 10 bore is worth it considering the cost of 10 bore ammo.

Im sure more of the big bore loaders can advise you better and put you in the right direction.

No, I know... I'm more interested in original fowling pieces than modern Spanish stuff....

I do have one original (and un-fired) 8B cartridge....will get a pic of it

12592526_10154217664442868_4119469157249

Edited by Mallyshag

Lots of tools and consumables available from both trade outlets and private enthusiasts, if you find out where to look? Most 8 bore shells are loaded with hand tools using resized 3 1/4" plastic industrial cases.

Eley stopped production of 8 bore ammunition 30/40 years ago, Gamebore used to produce the "mammoth" shell in 8 bore but production stopped some years ago, I believe Alan Myers used to load them for Eley to retail but that ceased some time ago too, I believe you can still buy loaded cartridges from him?..........but they will not be cheap!

Once you have accumulated the bits and pieces reloading for 8 bore isn't difficult or particularly costly, the real expenditure is in the cost of 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 ozs of non toxic shot per shell! But to see a pink fold up stone dead to your shot as if it has hit a brick wall is what big bore Wildfowling is all about!.....so you are not being stupid if Wildfowling is in your blood!

Look on shotgunreloading and claygame reloaders website for tools and consumables and their availability and cost.

Lots of tools and consumables available from both trade outlets and private enthusiasts, if you find out where to look? Most 8 bore shells are loaded with hand tools using resized 3 1/4" plastic industrial cases.

Eley stopped production of 8 bore ammunition 30/40 years ago, Gamebore used to produce the "mammoth" shell in 8 bore but production stopped some years ago, I believe Alan Myers used to load them for Eley to retail but that ceased some time ago too, I believe you can still buy loaded cartridges from him?..........but they will not be cheap!

Once you have accumulated the bits and pieces reloading for 8 bore isn't difficult or particularly costly, the real expenditure is in the cost of 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 ozs of non toxic shot per shell! But to see a pink fold up stone dead to your shot as if it has hit a brick wall is what big bore Wildfowling is all about!.....so you are not being stupid if Wildfowling is in your blood!

Look on shotgunreloading and claygame reloaders website for tools and consumables and their availability and cost.

Panama 1 couldn't have said it better,,, plenty of reloading gear out there for 8s, it's even likely that if your buying a gun private the reloading gear may come with it and if your lucky some brass cases that fit the gun.

Clay and game do the industrial 3 1/4" cases in Winchester or Remington, they also do the resizer, capper decapper and RTO along with wads, ,,, Alan Myers does wads, cases and RTO and also sells cartridges,,,, graham Deakin does cases,RTO, trimmer, wads and cards......and gas seal tool (makes a cardboard gas seal like the Winchester xx used). You may fancy brass cases made to fit your gun, these can be made by both Myers and Deakin though the barrel of the gun is required as they are made to fit the individual gun.

Powder could be a problem as I used blue dot in my 8s,, this is like rocking horse **** now,, also had loads for long shot but this also is getting difficult to find,, AO is good and available, black powder is available and is great to use..... Though limits the amount of shot in industrial cases ....Maybe some one on here could point us both to another type of powder which is readly available ??????

Panama 1 couldn't have said it better,,, plenty of reloading gear out there for 8s, it's even likely that if your buying a gun private the reloading gear may come with it and if your lucky some brass cases that fit the gun.

Clay and game do the industrial 3 1/4" cases in Winchester or Remington, they also do the resizer, capper decapper and RTO along with wads, ,,, Alan Myers does wads, cases and RTO and also sells cartridges,,,, graham Deakin does cases,RTO, trimmer, wads and cards......and gas seal tool (makes a cardboard gas seal like the Winchester xx used). You may fancy brass cases made to fit your gun, these can be made by both Myers and Deakin though the barrel of the gun is required as they are made to fit the individual gun.

Powder could be a problem as I used blue dot in my 8s,, this is like rocking horse **** now,, also had loads for long shot but this also is getting difficult to find,, AO is good and available, black powder is available and is great to use..... Though limits the amount of shot in industrial cases ....Maybe some one on here could point us both to another type of powder which is readly available ??????

Ian at ITL has blue dot in stock

http://www.itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/page15.htm

If he's got it others must have it. Im going up to Scotland in June, stopping overnight at Carlisle Premier Inn if you want me to try and get you some PM me

Thanks for the replies and assistance chaps. I've found both Clay & Game and SG Reloading on the interwebnet but not Myers or Deakin, any clues?

Clearly, a decent idiots guide to reloading is required, so which book would you suggest? Sorry to ask so many basic / daft questions but I am (obviously) new to the whole re-loading thing!

Do I also need any form of storage / purchase licence for this?

Edited by Mallyshag

• 3 years later...

If anybody has the old david garad reloading book, was some 10 bore pouder T loads in the back of that, and it got mentioned in a chapter on developing loads in the same book as i remember, i got this book here some where but just had a quick look round could not find it.

It was a popular book nearly everybody who reloaded had that book back in the day, there will be many on here with it i am sure.

13 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

If anybody has the old david garad reloading book, was some 10 bore pouder T loads in the back of that, and it got mentioned in a chapter on developing loads in the same book as i remember, i got this book here some where but just had a quick look round could not find it.

It was a popular book nearly everybody who reloaded had that book back in the day, there will be many on here with it i am sure.

Remi plastic 10 bore 3 1/2” case, W209, 38gr poudre T,  sp10, 2oz shot......taken from Garrard and St. Wards book as above.

Douglas Macdougal in 8 bore guns and their cartridges gives Poudre T loads. Remington 3.25” RTO, 2.5 oz 50 gns 2.25 oz 52gns.

i would expect he was talking about the original green Remington case with a fibre base wad. That generally takes more powder than the plastic base wad and black case. I think I have Myers old data somewhere and think he reduced powder by about 10% in the black case. You may have to play about a little and if you need me to look out Myers let me know.

good luck

On 02/04/2016 at 09:27, Vince Green said:

Ian at ITL has blue dot in stock

http://www.itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/page15.htm

If he's got it others must have it. Im going up to Scotland in June, stopping overnight at Carlisle Premier Inn if you want me to try and get you some PM me

last time i got blue dot was from tjmacavoy,if ur drivin up m6 check him out just bout a 1 1/2 miles from j27 m6.

On 01/04/2016 at 17:38, Mallyshag said:

Bit of advice if I may ask:

Some years ago, I purchased an old AYA Matador that had been opened up to an 8 Bore. I got it as a bit of a talking point and never actually fired it in anger as could never find any cartridges. I sold it for £20 more than I paid for it and that was that.

Now I'd love another and see you can actually get kit to re-load your own cartridges. However I have never even thought or considered doing home re-loading, so:

A. Where do you start?

B: Is doing larger bore a waste of time?

😄 Am I being stupid?

I haven't identified a new 8B yet - there are a few around that I keep looking at....

Any possibility of buying a 10 & having it opened out & reproved as an 8?

On 19/11/2019 at 07:10, guzzicat said:

Any possibility of buying a 10 & having it opened out & reproved as an 8?

Bored out Spanish tens are not a true 8! They usually measure around .815, (not .835 which is nom eight bore) because of this, when used with gualandi plastic wads they are prone to bulging at either breech or chokes..............and in my experience, kick like the proverbial mule! 
Plus would probably not be cost effective to have it done?

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Bored out Spanish tens are not a true 8! They usually measure around .815, (not .835 which is nom eight bore) because of this, when used with gualandi plastic wads they are prone to bulging at either breech or chokes..............and in my experience, kick like the proverbial mule! 
Plus would probably not be cost effective to have it done?

I think it could work out pretty cost effective, considering a sxs 10 in good condition can be purchased for as little as £250.