Big Bore Re-Loading

35 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

Anyone any ideas on someone to undertake the job?

Speak to graham deakin or Alan myers,   

3 minutes ago, Salmo said:

I’ve just ( an hour ago ) bought a Reilly 8 bore so this thread just gets better and better 

Hi bud, any pictures, single or double ? 

55 minutes ago, motty said:

I think it could work out pretty cost effective, considering a sxs 10 in good condition can be purchased for as little as £250.

A Ten bore nom bore measurement is .775.......bore that out to .815 as most of these Spanish tens have been...........that is .40thou of barrelled wall metal removed!........... if you tried to bore any ten bore out to a nom 8 bore (.835).......that would be .60thou removed!........How thick would a ten bore barrel wall (and for that matter breech end!) be after this amount of boring out?.......Too thin I would suggest!
Also a nine or ten pound double 10 bore........bored out to chamber an 8 bore shell, would be very light.......a true 8 bore weighs around the 12 to 15lb mark!
Light gun heavy recoil, heavy gun light recoil!

Even at £250 I do not believe this would be at all cost effective, if too much metal is removed from the barrels and chambers (even assuming total accuracy of boring!) if that means the barrels could not stand proof!

12 minutes ago, Salmo said:

I’ve just ( an hour ago ) bought a Reilly 8 bore so this thread just gets better and better 

Edited by panoma1

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

A Ten bore nom bore measurement is .775.......bore that out to .815 as most of these Spanish tens have been...........that is .40thou of barrelled wall metal removed!........... if you tried to bore any ten bore out to a nom 8 bore (.835).......that would be .60thou removed!........How thick would a ten bore barrel wall (and for that matter breech end!) be after this amount of boring out?.......Too thin I would suggest!
Also a nine or ten pound double 10 bore........bored out to chamber an 8 bore shell, would be very light.......a true 8 bore weighs around the 12 to 15lb mark!
Light gun heavy recoil, heavy gun light recoil!

Even at £250 I do not believe this would be at all cost effective, if too much metal is removed from the barrels and chambers (even assuming total accuracy of boring!) if that means the barrels could not stand proof!

My sxs 10 must weigh at least a dozen pounds, with extremely thick barrels. I don't know how feasible it would be to bore it out. I have no desire to do so, just as I have no desire to ever own an 8.

With the newer shot types, I can shoot geese as far as I want with a 10 or 12.

19 minutes ago, Salmo said:

Single , I collect it Saturday . It’s a mate from Newcastle he shoots geese with me most saturdays . He’s 83 and I’m getting it for a song 

All you’ve gotta do now is get all the gear and consumables, in order to load your own shells! Lol! My first 8 was a full choke, single Tolley.....I shot some cracking geese with that!...enjoy!