Detached double garage

barney 66

Hi, wondered if there is any builders on here that could give me an idea of a price for the above in Telford 7x7 metres pitched roof preferably minus the doors and electrics, could do with a price roughly in brick and block just to give me a starting guide,

Thanks barney

Massive variations in cost to consider.

Brick type (£150/1000 to £600/1000) footings? Depth required, ground make up, access for plant, waste disposal....roof type? Trussed, cut? If cut does it need steels in? Does it have a loft space?

Just doing one which was to take down an existing but waste to be disposed on site (big saving) and build a new one. Slightly bigger than yours but in block and render with a relatively cheap roof and it's £68k

Probably not a great deal of help to you I'm afraid.

Pm me some more details and I will happily give you a very rough estimate.

Edd

Massive variations in cost to consider.

Brick type (£150/1000 to £600/1000) footings? Depth required, ground make up, access for plant, waste disposal....roof type? Trussed, cut? If cut does it need steels in? Does it have a loft space?

Just doing one which was to take down an existing but waste to be disposed on site (big saving) and build a new one. Slightly bigger than yours but in block and render with a relatively cheap roof and it's £68k

Probably not a great deal of help to you I'm afraid.

Pm me some more details and I will happily give you a very rough estimate.

Edd

£68k !!!

For a simple build (no complex foundations), with block and render, trussed roof, concrete tile, I'd be astonished if it was more than £30k. Probably more like £20k

£68k !!!

For a simple build (no complex foundations), with block and render, trussed roof, concrete tile, I'd be astonished if it was more than £30k. Probably more like £20k

Agreed! 68k wow could build a small house for that, must be nice getting 45k profit

If earning that amount is easy why aren't you guys doing it ? Do you know the access for plant,cost of disposal of spoil, if it's a raft with mesh tied into the footings, nice facing brick or a tatty one, so many variables.

I saw a bit of steel an engine and some wiring on e bay today. how dare range rover want £75 k when I can buy the parts on line and do it myself 😉

Edited by digger

If earning that amount is easy why aren't you guys doing it ? Do you know the access for plant,cost of disposal of spoil, if it's a raft with mesh tied into the footings, nice facing brick or a tatty one, so many variables.

I saw a bit of steel an engine and some wiring on e bay today. how dare range rover want £75 k when I can buy the parts on line and do it myself

I do do it for a living. 20 years in I've never seen a garage cost anywhere near that

Edited by JBS

Even if it cost 20k to get it out the ground had to be dug by hand 3m deep and disposed of down the tip a pocket full at a time where the hell is the other 48k spent? I can't get my head round it! Must be a typo

I built an 18*44' garage myself, because of the clay I had to dig very deep foundations and lay a block and beam floor. Dwarf brick wall, block on top, engineered trusses, tiled roof, doors, windows etc and I'm just under £10k

That's materials only, not account ting for my time, but if I worked on it daily, it surely couldn't take more than 3-4 weeks being generous!

I'm in the wrong job, £58k a month would be nice...

Edd never said how big this garage is did he. He did say block and render and cheap roof.

I'm thinking its a bus depot he's building as its big and technically a garage. Or for a local car dealership, Or a aircraft hangar a garage for a private plane well for two planes it's costing 68k after all :lol: bets it goes up to 70k by time it's finished with inclement weather and delays price of materials going up.

Come on Edd spill the beans and give us more info after whetting our appetites.

Edited by figgy

Thank you all for your thoughts, my Dad had one built I said about 7 years ago I origanaly thought turns out it was 15 years ago that cost £11,000 just the shell with a roof and pit, pitched roof with steel beams to give a loft space, garage is 6.3 x 7 metres some old looking bricks and pan tiles on the roof, this was done by a local builder to a very good standard, they arranged everything and cleared all the mess after

Digger : yes, I've done it too. So I know what I'm talking about.

Was a building contractor. Started off as a groundworker, gang foreman, was eventually offered site foreman / site manager job, with a very small part of the company ownership involved (odd, but the guy that owned the firm was like that, he wanted his people invested in doing the best they could, and it worked).

When the company got sold, I obviously got some payment for that, stayed on, but they wanted 'managers' on site with suits on. I was always management ON the site, so didn't fit in. So handed in my notice, got a pair of golden handcuffs to stop me working for competitors for 5 years (£nice!), and started on my own. That was in 2001

Did a few small jobs, extensions, etc. Then bought a plot, built a bungalow, sold it. Bought 2 plots. Built the 2 houses. Sold them.

Five years later I was doing 15-20 houses a year. And doing very well out of it.

In 2007 another local company offered a very nice sum to buy me out. I didn't like the frothiness of the market, so I accepted their offer.

Look at it all like that, and I've been hellishly lucky. Right place, right time.

Anyway. Yes, prices have moved on since then, I agree. But I was talking with my old boss last night, as it happened (the one who sold the company in 2001), and (in spite of being 80 this year), he still does a few jobs, and makes plenty of money doing it. He agreed with me. Actually, he reckons it could be done, in an ideal world, for anything over £15k.

That assumes : easy access. Basic strip foundations. Block to slab. Slab. Block to wallplate and gables (to wallplate should take 2 days, for gables add another day). Truss out and brace. Felt and concrete tile. Gutters. Drainage to soakaways or nearby surface drains.

He's actually between jobs at the moment, and, in his own words "a bit bored". He lives just outside Wrexham, so might just be interested in the job, and has been doing this sort of thing since the 1960s..

Anyway. If you're interested, drop me a pm.

General rule on thumb for a house is £1200 a meter. Per floor so £2400 for a ground and first.

So £30k for a 5m square garage but obviously you don't want plastering but could want a polished floor and more electrics.

Felt roof would also be less .

As already said if you need a raft this is extra but their is so many variables .

The last dog shed we built was £60k yes £60,000 but it's a full oak build .

The problem is we don't build standard stuff . We've just priced a summer house at £100,000 seriously tho it's huge and fully insulated and oak

Edited by team tractor

Digger : yes, I've done it too. So I know what I'm talking about.

Was a building contractor. Started off as a groundworker, gang foreman, was eventually offered site foreman / site manager job, with a very small part of the company ownership involved (odd, but the guy that owned the firm was like that, he wanted his people invested in doing the best they could, and it worked).

When the company got sold, I obviously got some payment for that, stayed on, but they wanted 'managers' on site with suits on. I was always management ON the site, so didn't fit in. So handed in my notice, got a pair of golden handcuffs to stop me working for competitors for 5 years (£nice!), and started on my own. That was in 2001

Did a few small jobs, extensions, etc. Then bought a plot, built a bungalow, sold it. Bought 2 plots. Built the 2 houses. Sold them.

Five years later I was doing 15-20 houses a year. And doing very well out of it.

In 2007 another local company offered a very nice sum to buy me out. I didn't like the frothiness of the market, so I accepted their offer.

Look at it all like that, and I've been hellishly lucky. Right place, right time.

Anyway. Yes, prices have moved on since then, I agree. But I was talking with my old boss last night, as it happened (the one who sold the company in 2001), and (in spite of being 80 this year), he still does a few jobs, and makes plenty of money doing it. He agreed with me. Actually, he reckons it could be done, in an ideal world, for anything over £15k.

That assumes : easy access. Basic strip foundations. Block to slab. Slab. Block to wallplate and gables (to wallplate should take 2 days, for gables add another day). Truss out and brace. Felt and concrete tile. Gutters. Drainage to soakaways or nearby surface drains.

He's actually between jobs at the moment, and, in his own words "a bit bored". He lives just outside Wrexham, so might just be interested in the job, and has been doing this sort of thing since the 1960s..

Anyway. If you're interested, drop me a pm.

Thanks for that, I will drop you a Pm later this evening, as I said though I am in the process of buying at the minute so no rush for a couple of months, (then I will want it the next day) only joking but I will want to move sharply on it as before I can sell mine I need it up

Thanks barney

Thanks for that, I will drop you a Pm later this evening, as I said though I am in the process of buying at the minute so no rush for a couple of months, (then I will want it the next day) only joking but I will want to move sharply on it as before I can sell mine I need it up

Thanks barney

No problems. Assuming it's got planning permission then I'd expect it could go from virgin ground to roof on in under a fortnight