Essex masters

bostonmick

Nice shooting Dougall,

I like the way they set the targets at the Essex, they rely on angles and pure evilness rather than distance and speed, the last stand on both courses are always a bit of a swine, but for the rest, in theory they are simple crossers, loopers and springers with the odd rabbit and trap target,

It was the trap targets that done for my cards on both courses.

Nearly always hit the "other" one them missed the simple going straight away one.

Only hit 2 of The double rise targets unlike Kingo lol

Never mind always next year :good:

:shaun:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoy the masters. Not just for the shooting but it's a great couple of days away. Even if the b and b was questionable.

But we have it covered for next year.

On both days I had 3 stands that killed my card. But it has given me an insight into what I need to practice on more now.

Dougall we commented by stand three on the red course you were mainly a game shot. I shoot clays wildfowl game and pests but shoot more clays than anything. Next year when we book up I'll drop you a pm on here to let you know Sqaud number. Think we're going to stay over and shoot 100 each day next year. 200 in a day after a five hour drive takes some concentration, I didn't have enough of.

I love the stand 13 singles they put on I hit two on the red and three on the black the first high overhead going away crossed the sun and as I was first of the Sqaud on that stand I looked to far back and blinded myself with sun so couldn't see the clay properly chopping too far under it. Rest were easy enough.

I'm looking forward to the north region selection shoots that I can get too along with the English open and British open, Oaklodge are hosting one of the north region combined England selection shoots this year so I'm local for that one :good:

Hope to see some members off here at some of the shoots.

Dougall we commented by stand three on the red course you were mainly a game shot. I shoot clays wildfowl game and pests but shoot more clays than anything. Next year when we book up I'll drop you a pm on here to let you know Sqaud number. Think we're going to stay over and shoot 100 each day next year. 200 in a day after a five hour drive takes some concentration, I didn't have enough of.

I love the stand 13 singles they put on I hit two on the red and three on the black the first high overhead going away crossed the sun and as I was first of the Sqaud on that stand I looked to far back and blinded myself with sun so couldn't see the clay properly chopping too far under it. Rest were easy enough.

I'm looking forward to the north region selection shoots that I can get too along with the English open and British open, Oaklodge are hosting one of the north region combined England selection shoots this year so I'm local for that one :good:

If you go to picture 124 I think, there are some Oak lodge shooters on show, you lot?

Our squad was far too handsome and rugged to put on public display.....lol

I wouldn't like to shoot 200 in one day, we traveled on the Tuesday and shot 100 on Wed and again on Thursday,

Friend of mine 200 today and seems they had the better weather, but again said next time he would split it.

We got a twenty minute turnaround, by time walk to car for more carts had to stuff a buttie in and straight back to it. 200 in a day after a good drive it's hard to keep your concentration with lack of sleep getting up at half four. Your leaving later than we did as your hour and half closer. Enjoy the day :good:

Best of luck at Blackpool my mates are going from Oaklodge Shooting Ground, I'm going to a Christning.

I have no excuse really powder all the long range stuff, the simo pair going away at speed full and full hit 7, the battues got smashed hit 3 ex on last stand of black................battues no probs, Mungler taught me to shoot on the drop, the nasty orange teal, 4 ex 4 on the drop

RABBITS probably 5 ex 20..***? i used to smash em all day long the only thing i have done is chjanged my gun, i have to get to the fens and practice bunnies!"!! Zimples bunnies smashed would have put mu in the 150s

The only other clay that really caught me out was the fast orange across the lake with a tiny battue style zipping through the trees, did not even scratch one over the lake, powdered the zippy close one.

I had the hump on the stand past the pig pen and the 2 super fast clays going up hill, dusted the lot before they were 6 foot from the trap, guy stood behind me said "blimey you meant that didnt you !!!"

As usual good day out, targets that looks hittable with a nasty twist is what keeps me going back year after year, only real issue we had was the olg girl at the double rabbit stand had 6 squads waiting to shoot , took an hour!!!!!

They have compressed the course from last year, no walking up the old railway line but hopefully you may get an hour between courses

we got 15 mins

we got 15 mins

We twigged this and didn't hand our cards in till after we had been to our car and eaten.

Last squad on black was a shambles, 4 squad waiting at stands, empty traps not enough staff to fill them fast enough, it was like they had not fill a trap all afternoon. was bad, 3 and a half hours at least, interest faded pretty fast.

Red was slick as always

Edited by Rupert

Shaun there is a few good photos of our Sqaud and one of me shooting stand 13. It surprised us that we were in some photos.

Where are the photo numbers at? I can't find a number only the time on the bottom of the photo.

Stevo with a bit of luck :good:

Edited by figgy

The annoying thing is I've shot good scores there when they've hosted the Herts County Championships over 100 birds, (even though the ground is in Essex), but I've never managed to put two decent 100 bird scores together to finish anywhere at the Masters, last year was a case in point, a 159, acutely embarrassing..! :oops:

I know I can't do any worse than that this year..!

I'm still looking forward to it though, as "Hope springs eternal"..? :yes:

Cat.

Well, as always a good layout, arguably most stands were a tad softer than previous years, a lot of slow stuff you could easily over lead, and with a couple of notable exceptions, the course was shootable with 1/4 choke throughout..

I started early doors on the Red course, missed the odd one here and there, but dropped 4 on stand 5, a simmo pair of right to left orange incomers, then a couple of orange loopers on the next, and so it went on, on the final stand I only hit the rabbit, then dropped the other 3, to finish on an 81.. :oops:

I worked out the Black layout appeared to be shooting easier than the Red, but still dropped 4 on the fast left to right simmo pair at the end stand, and a further 5 on the next going away pair, it wasn't made any easier by a stiff East wind up their backside, so scraped in another 81 to finish on a 162.. :/

At least it was a small improvement on last years abysmal 159. :lol:

Congrats to all who took part in probably the biggest ever Sporting clay shoot in terms of entry numbers, hope to see you all at the forthcoming Charity shoot. :good:

Cat.

Shaun there is a few good photos of our Sqaud and one of me shooting stand 13. It surprised us that we were in some photos.

Where are the photo numbers at? I can't find a number only the time on the bottom of the photo.

Stevo with a bit of luck :good:

I just went to the link on their Facebook page where it said this

Hepworth Hall Shooting Ground shared Country Shot Photography's album.

In fact if you click where it says album above it takes you to all the photos

and it says those photo's plus 154, when I start to look at them on my computer it numbers them along the bottom

Ahh it all becomes clear now your computer has assigned numbers.

I have looked at all the photos on there thanks. Some very good pictures that capture people and the concentration. The black and white ones look best to my eyes, lots more definition.

I hope next year they move into the 21st century and sort out their keeping people up to date with the daily scores. If they did that then I reckon it would be a near on perfect competition

I know,

They still haven't released the full scores, only the top 10 in each group.....

A live leader board as other events have. You can see where you are in your class as the event goes on, also where you finish. Not hard is it they have to enter scores on a board so why not a laptop. Only takes one extra person.

Shaun they have released photos of the score boards but I don't think they are fully up to date. Think that will be as good as we get.

I hope next year they move into the 21st century and sort out their keeping people up to date with the daily scores. If they did that then I reckon it would be a near on perfect competition

Yes, agreed, a leap forward in the presentation of all scores is required, I'm not sure why they don't use the CPSA software programme that they use for all other shoots at the ground, perhaps there is an issue over the licencing as it's not a Registered shoot, but I'm pretty sure I have seen it used by other grounds for non-reg events..?

This is how they do it in even small club shoots in France, via several widescreen TV's around the Clubhouse, it ain't rocket science..!

I also reckon they ought to make it Credit / Debit card entries, online only, that way you get rid of the large number of people who book in by phone and simply don't turn up, thereby messing up the squadding arrangements, also a squad time online booking system as the CPSA use for all of their championship events.

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Yes, agreed, a leap forward in the presentation of all scores is required, I'm not sure why they don't use the CPSA software programme that they use for all other shoots at the ground, perhaps there is an issue over the licencing as it's not a Registered shoot, but I'm pretty sure I have seen it used by other grounds for non-reg events..?

This is how they do it in even small club shoots in France, via several widescreen TV's around the Clubhouse, it ain't rocket science..!

Arras%20BTC%203031.03.13%20French%20GP%2

I also reckon they ought to make it Credit / Debit card entries, online only, that way you get rid of the large number of people who book in by phone and simply don't turn up, thereby messing up the squadding arrangements, also a squad time online booking system as the CPSA use for all of their championship events.

Cat.

The thing is El captain of the great south team. I saw one one the ladies entering all the scores on a laptop using the cpsa score program. I no its not rocket science to have the tv screens but even if they would just put all the daily scores online at night would just be a bonus.

As digweed said in the video everyone knows he is making a **** load of money out of it. So he could she'll out on someone to sort it

Did you shoot this one Auntie? Seen you shot Blackpool on Sunday was told by the Oaklodge Shooting Ground Sqaud it was a hard shoot

No i don't shoot the Essex one, bit too far for me now, as i always like to do them same day and don't like staying away.The Blackpool shoot was quite tough but really busy, targets were excellent but a few problems with trap breakdowns and some inspired trap refilling right at the death with about 10 people to shoot, instead of 1/4 filling they were shutting down 3 stands and filling up to capacity. Bit daft but.....I think it was the busiest I have ever seen Blackpool so good for the ground. from yer Auntie.

I think if it goes to a online payment system he might not make quite as much money from the event. It is nessacery in today's shooting world to have proper electronic scoring put up on screens and online. Excel

Is all they need if they don't want to use the cpsa program. As you book and they Sqaud you it would all be entered prior to the day so only your score needs entering at the event. Childs play

Auntie the lads said it took over four hours to go round and with a over three hour journey to get there two days after doing the Essex in one day they must have been tired.

Edited by figgy

figgy,

great re squad number thank you..are you doing the North v South charity PW day on here too?..