How many decoys do you use?

wokkywokky

I always used to play by my own 30 minute rule.

If nothing promising has happened within 30 minutes, then that's probably how it's going to stay.

I know it can be heart breaking taking your hide down after a short period, but it's better to turn up late in the right stop than spend all day in the wrong one.

Best on the day imo. Just because they`re there one day does not mean they`ll return the following day.

I will locate the pigeons on the day before setting up. Any one in the Bedfordshire/Sandy area with a degree in pigeon behavioural studies fancy joining me to try and understand/teach me pigeon traits?

I always used to play by my own 30 minute rule.

If nothing promising has happened within 30 minutes, then that's probably how it's going to stay.

I know it can be heart breaking taking your hide down after a short period, but it's better to turn up late in the right stop than spend all day in the wrong one.

I agree but one of my very best days was when a mate and I stood and watched a rape field for over an hour then deciding to leave as we hadn't seen so much as a seagull :| only to be met by a copper who decided he wanted to check our guns and certificates during which time a very obvious trickle of birds developed :) so as soon as he left we legged it over and set up and shot virtually non stop till late afternoon.

Twenty. Because I can't move as fast as I used to, unless I'm forced to I don't like faffing about while shooting so try to make it easy. I mount the full bodied decoys on dead bird cradles at an appropriate height to the crop/stubble - this so you know where they (cradles) are .

Well, that's that problem knocked on the head. Just received the new ones that I'd ordered. What on earth possessed them to replace the matt brown (looked like gas welding rod) originals with bright steel jobbies?

I usually start with 18 half shell flocked in the pattern and build up with dead birds as I get them. Usually consider the more birds the better so can end up with 60 dead birds out in the pattern on a good day. Don't normally keep any dead birds so have some preserved birds (Borax treated) and put the first decent bird on the flapper. Will swap to fresh birds on the magnet if think its worthwhile ie the preserved ones are looking a bit ropey or pigeons are not decoying well. I don't normally bother bringing the shelled decoys in...leave them out.

I hate packing up and moving but I certainly set up in haste too many times. Better to not set up until you are sure there is traffic into a field.

Well, that's that problem knocked on the head. Just received the new ones that I'd ordered. What on earth possessed them to replace the matt brown (looked like gas welding rod) originals with bright steel jobbies?

Don't worry, the pigeons will not notice.

I usually do my reconnaissance the day(s) leading up to a session. It would not be uncommon for me to have three fields lined up in advance to shoot on consecutive days. I hate driving round on the day I intend to shoot, having nowhere planned. Obviously I also have days where I find a good situation and shoot immediately.

Get a good set of bins. Then get to some high ground/point and watch for flight lines .

Then you need to get under them , if you have some deeks (i only use 6 full bodied), make sure, and keep an eye on the

wind direction, (length of green ribbon on a stick) Allow plenty of room in the pattern to allow birds to drop in, and wait. You may need to move!

I don't take big bags myself , a dozen or so at a time for my small freezer.