Waiting game or no thank you

I guess there must be other farmers, like me, who use that excuse as an easy way to say no.

Every time I used to say no it just lead to a protracted conversation as to what a huge favor they would be doing me in controlling my vermin and deer, so now I take the easy option and say someone already does it for me.

i can see your point but i think its an easy option for farmers,while pigeon shooting a farm across the way was alive with blacks coming an going all day to the cow sheds,so at the end of session i gave him a knock and politely asked if i could shoot the crows[thought shooting pigeon on his neighbours land would work it]but no same as yours already got someone even though i never saw any one there.

I must admit I can see the farmers point of view. If I had some land of my own (I wish!!!) And a complete stranger asked if they could walk around it with a gun or ferrets or hawk etc I would say no or say someone does it. There is a lot of expensive items on a farm and I wouldn't want a stranger near them.

My permissions have come from the farmers in my village who have known me for years or through beating on various shoots. I have tried door knocking and it has never worked for me.

i can see your point but i think its an easy option for farmers,while pigeon shooting a farm across the way was alive with blacks coming an going all day to the cow sheds,so at the end of session i gave him a knock and politely asked if i could shoot the crows[thought shooting pigeon on his neighbours land would work it]but no same as yours already got someone even though i never saw any one there.

Unfortunately shooters can be a nightmare, I have my core guys who'm I trust, I could do with more, but put yourself in my shoes, a random bloke I don't know wants access to our land, it's a funny concept to understand.

Well that's 10 farms visited few framers sound interested but most of them say the have people that shoot already. Does any one ever share thier permissions ? I never see or hear people shooting on them.

Tim

Do you leave a card with the farmer with your contact details on?

I must admit I can see the farmers point of view. If I had some land of my own (I wish!!!) And a complete stranger asked if they could walk around it with a gun or ferrets or hawk etc I would say no or say someone does it. There is a lot of expensive items on a farm and I wouldn't want a stranger near them.

My permissions have come from the farmers in my village who have known me for years or through beating on various shoots. I have tried door knocking and it has never worked for me.

This^^^

One thing, I'd appreciate a door knocker a lot more if they turned up in the middle of January, when it's freezing cold, and still ask.

Funnily enough my door bell gets burnt out when the rape is being harvested.

If some one came to your door and asked to roam round your garden with a gun would you let them??

It took me twelve months to obtain my first permission after asking many times others have followed via recommendation and asking them to phone my first farmer for any reference.

Just keep asking but be tactful if the farmer is busy walk away, wait till you can see the birds on the crops big time and ask for a day , at the end thank the farmer and report your results, good luck

wait till you can see the birds on the crops big time and ask for a day , at the end thank the farmer and report your results, good luck

This has always been my advice, singly the best approach, recce, spot the birds and ask for that morning, that field, and no more.

Some days I just wish I could get out or one of my guns were out when the birds are smashing it.

Yes I went to a lot of time and effort to write a letter,what was like a mini CV and attached the BASC permission form with a photo and my card

Tim

Theres your problem.

Print some SACS ones and they will be paying you to shoot on their land. :good:

Edited by sako751sg

Lot of good advice it's not easy to get a in, but coming from a farming back ground show a interest in farming crops etc, then you can spot damage and you start off with their attention/interest like said where are the winter shooters, pigeons on stubble on a sunny day are not a big problem to the farmer.

Theres your problem.

Print some SACS ones and they will be paying you to shoot on their land. :good:

Why is that ?

Lot of good advice it's not easy to get a in, but coming from a farming back ground show a interest in farming crops etc, then you can spot damage and you start off with their attention/interest like said where are the winter shooters, pigeons on stubble on a sunny day are not a big problem to the farmer.

I have going at this over the winter but still no joy

I guess there must be other farmers, like me, who use that excuse as an easy way to say no.

Every time I used to say no it just lead to a protracted conversation as to what a huge favor they would be doing me in controlling my vermin and deer, so now I take the easy option and say someone already does it for me.

Yep same here, given up letting anyone else on now apart from a mate through work who I know I can 100% trust

Sadly the reason farmers say no is pretty much the fact they been let down so many times before by others either promising to sort out all vermin problems and then not turn up, or just make you worry about what the plonker is up to, how many gates he left open, who he has upset etc etc.

Had a guy turn up a few years ago who had a Air rifle, 12 bore and a .22, for me being running a beef, corn and cabbage farm he could of been ideal for me to sort out rabbits and keep on top of pigeons before they caused a problem, cartridges left around, didn't text me as agreed before he came, took strangers around on my ground, his final nail was to set up a hide and decoy's in a 3 acre field directly facing a housing estate and then I spotted him walking through the village with a crossbow ready to fire. He basically screwed it for anyone else asking in the future.

Now ofc I know that not everyone is like that but farmers have plenty of stress without having to sort out problems from what although there are benefits to both sides is basically doing you the shooter a favour, I say YOU as he can always get someone else to do it. the first perm can be a bitch to get, do a good job and your name will get passed about to his neighbours, be a pain and the whole county will know, if you in sheep country and got the skills, commitment and equipment to sort foxes out then you can find yourself very busy very fast :)

Don't get disheartened though and keep on trying without being too pushy, understand you may need to get to know farmers and have a chat several times, maybe even the case that you turn up just at the right time to help him with a small problem ( cows out, unseen sheep lambing, dodgy looking van parked in his gateway ) will be the foot in the door !

so many times i have heard of a fellow farmer letting a partial stranger go pigeon shooting for the day or even give them permission to shoot that year and they take the micky , end up driving all over the crops, leaving empty cartridges where they shoot, dead birds left scattered, crops trod down more than 50 cows running through it.

Is it a surprise they are cautious.

Chicken and egg situation , as other have said word of mouth or reccomendation is the best.

I would say the most common access is through local shoots, beating and the like, gives people chance to see you use a gun and get to know if you are a muppet or not!

good luck

formal letters/ forms can often frighten farmers, more casual approach to start with might be better, also be careful not to be caught lurking around farm yards!!

I had been asking a local farmer to shot is land for 10 years each time I asked he said he didn't let strangers shot but ask again next year I'd s a y thank you. he has 350-400acts of wheat barley and some peas only when I was lucky to do is delivery he said yes I was over the moon.5years of shooting crows of I drills,shooting the pigeons of is standing crop keeping Ferrell down on is grain sheds with air rifle rain snow and blow at is beck and call doing some rating,every time I went I'd ring first if I asked a friend I would ask first .large bottle of single malt at Christmas couple of bottle wine for wife. One day I rang him up to see if there was anything he needed to do he said no it's ok that he didn't need me anymore.I asked was it something I'd done he said no.this was in the April thought I'd give him some time so I called down in the August and on the farm yard was 3 men all camod up so I asked them and they were waiting for a chap to come and take them pigeon shooting

The man was on holiday in the area and seen the stumble the year before and went down to see the farmer and had all the shooting for £250 a year and he was selling days on it.that's ok up to him is land,so why let me keep the rubbish winter side of it take the gifts at Christmas nowing he was turfing me off .

10years of no I don't let strangers shot £250 later and the man isn't even local.so it's not all ways the shooters that let the farmers down.I am very gratefully for the time I had and lucky but if he had rang to say I would have scrapped the money together and payed him myself.

No such thing as loyalty when they see £ signs.

I had been asking a local farmer to shot is land for 10 years each time I asked he said he didn't let strangers shot but ask again next year I'd s a y thank you. he has 350-400acts of wheat barley and some peas only when I was lucky to do is delivery he said yes I was over the moon.5years of shooting crows of I drills,shooting the pigeons of is standing crop keeping Ferrell down on is grain sheds with air rifle rain snow and blow at is beck and call doing some rating,every time I went I'd ring first if I asked a friend I would ask first .large bottle of single malt at Christmas couple of bottle wine for wife. One day I rang him up to see if there was anything he needed to do he said no it's ok that he didn't need me anymore.I asked was it something I'd done he said no.this was in the April thought I'd give him some time so I called down in the August and on the farm yard was 3 men all camod up so I asked them and they were waiting for a chap to come and take them pigeon shooting

The man was on holiday in the area and seen the stumble the year before and went down to see the farmer and had all the shooting for £250 a year and he was selling days on it.that's ok up to him is land,so why let me keep the rubbish winter side of it take the gifts at Christmas nowing he was turfing me off .

10years of no I don't let strangers shot £250 later and the man isn't even local.so it's not all ways the shooters that let the farmers down.I am very gratefully for the time I had and lucky but if he had rang to say I would have scrapped the money together and payed him myself.

No such thing as loyalty when they see £ signs.

Sad state of affairs.

Never give up keep asking. I have a couple of fields which a few farmers grow for themselves they ring me to shot the crows off and again when they cut,sometimes the smaller the better there more gratefully and its not worth the people who sell the shooting bothering with

Edited by postie

postie, a similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago, involving a group of Italians that paid the farmer for pigeon shooting.

The big problem is that they were rarely there, despite his repeated phone calls that he had birds on the crops.

After the second year he didn't take their money and I got the shooting back.

I hope you have similar luck.

I know he's having some trouble with the ferals in/on sheds,know the lad who works there and and there ****ting all over is combine tractors in the sheds,the man who has the shooting only wants the stubble to sell the shooting,I'm lucky I have picked up some shooting ferals around the live stock farms with my air rifle.and I'm lucky have got some pigeon shooting for the freezer .it was the way it was done not the loss of the shooting,just saying it's not allways the shooters

Edited by postie