bsf air rifle its not a typo

mightyrover

Hyped up by the Press at the time they are somewhat Agricultural in the main but their rarity makes them very collectable - the 55 with the Monte Carlo stock was the one to have - decent build quality with a Spring that would break the arm of Kratos but no more accurate/powerful than the FWB or HW guns available at the time.

Little weight, short barrelled powerful airrifle made by Bayrische Sportwaffen Fabrik aka BSF.

Weihrauch took over some ideas from these BSF rifles , which resulted in the HW 85 model. The model 55, 60 and 70 used the same powerplant, only the barrels were longer.

B.S.F. "BAYERISCHE SPORTWAFFENFABRIK"
Previous manufacturer located in Erlangen, Germany. Previously imported by Kendell International located in Paris, KY, and by Beeman Precision Arms under the Wischo label. B.S.F. (Bayerische Sportwaffenfabrik) is the manufacturer for airguns marketed with B.S.F., Bavaria, and Wischo trade names. B.S.F. was founded in 1935 and produced a few airguns before the pressures of WWII took over. Production began again in 1948 and put an emphasis on solid, simple construction. The Model S54 remains as a classic example of solid, elegant construction for a sporter air rifle. B.S.F.´s own production was generally sold under the Bavaria label. The Wischo Company of Erlangen (founded by Egon Wilsker), one of Europe´s leading gun distributors, distributed large numbers, especially to Beeman Precision Airguns in the USA, under the Wischo label. The collapse of their British agent, Norman May & Co, in 1980 resulted in the dismissal of most of the 130 workers. The Schütt family sold the business to Herbert Gayer, who reorganized the company and the production process. However, this was not enough to prevent further decline of the company. It was then purchased by the Hermann Weihrauch Company in nearby Mellrichstadt in the late 1980s. By incorporating some HW design and cosmetic features and parts, a surprisingly good line of upper economy level airguns was developed to supplement the top-of-the-line regular HW models. Weihrauch manufactures versions of B.S.F. models for Marksman (Marksman Models 28, 40, 55, 56, 58, 59, 70, 71, 72, and 75).

Edited by ratbuster

Never seen one of these, but the name was familiar because I have a copy of the Parker-Hale catalogue "Everything for Shooting" (1958 edition) with two pages showing brief descriptions and illustrations of BSF air rifles (and another page for BSF air pistols). Apparently P-H had been appointed as sole British distributors.

Features of the BSF Standard model, "normally used for vermin destruction", included fixed-barrel, underlever cocking, adjustable triple pull trigger, and plain beech stock (£11-6s-0d). Higher grade models were the "Bayern" with chequered walnut stock (£13-9s-8d) and the "Match" as above but with micrometer peep sight (£19-0s-0d).

For comparison, the Webley Mk3 cost £12-9s-4d and the Airsporter was £13-10s-8d.

There were also three break-barrel BSF models, priced roughly in the same range as the BSA Cadet and Webley Junior.

Send me a PM if you need to look at that catalogue page.

There's one for sale here: Lot 202 along with a Milbro mod2 air pistol (I think they've described it as a Gat gun)

I don't think I'm going to be available to bid so if someone here wants it....................

fine.art@cheffins.co.uk

I think the way to look at your BSF is on the understanding that it is more of a collectors piece than a gun to be used for hunting/plinking. I would , personally, avoid any attempt to tune it or "improve" it in any way - you will most likely simply devalue it. Unless you have to use it I would give it a good wipe over with VP90 or similar and put it away somewhere safe - doubt that it will ever depreciate and could prove to be a reasonable earner over time.