Tree stump and roots

Chris Bb

We recently (early January) had a large silver birch cut down to ground level then had the stump ground to below ground level but not completely removed (cheapskate local tree "surgeons").

I have cut back all the main roots that I can find but there seem to be many more and they go deep.

Cut root ends and the stump itself are still pouring out water gathered by the root system.

Questions: Will the roots and stump die away naturally anytime soon? Is the water transfer thing seasonal? Is there a safe way to speed up its final demise?

I want to backfill then lawn over but, due to the roots, the whole area is absolutely soaking.

I cut down a couple of Silver Birch at a rental property in 2010. I left the stumps about 2 feet high and cut a cross in the flat tops about 3 inches deep with a chain saw and filled them with SBK from Mole Valley Farmers. No sign of any growth/regrowth since, but the stumps are still there.

I cut down a couple of Silver Birch at a rental property in 2010. I left the stumps about 2 feet high and cut a cross in the flat tops about 3 inches deep with a chain saw and filled them with SBK from Mole Valley Farmers. No sign of any growth/regrowth since, but the stumps are still there.

I never knew you were a ####.

Strictly speaking if ur going to treat the stump with something like glycophosphate/roundup ur meant to do it within 20 mins or so or tree starts to seal itself.

If its an old stump ur best to take a bit of the top again and treat. Boring slots with saw or drilling holes usueally works well thou when filled with roundup.

Not sure after its been ground if would be easily treated with weed killer.

After early spring it will not weep as much, i'd be tempted to just leave it it will/should stop in time

After early spring it will not weep as much, i'd be tempted to just leave it it will/should stop in time

Thanks, all.

I didn't want to use powerful weedkilller in case it affected the rest of the garden. So, we I just cut all the roots we I could find, trimmed as much off the stump as I could and buried he damn thing. The ground's a bit soft but hopefully it'll dry out. I'll be turfing over it all later this week, if ever it stops raining.

At least I'm proficient in the use of a mattock which, if sharpened, can double as an adze!

I've also taken a couple of slices from he bottom of the trunk, sanded them and treated with Danish oil to make "rustic" outdoor table tops. Electric chainsaw followed by electric planer, electric angle grinder with flap wheel then electric sanders. Very therapeutic and, hey, don't the neighbours just love me early on a Sunday morning!

A handy tool is welding a 2" or 4" brick bolster onto either pipe or bar.

I call my 'chopping' pinch' real easy to sharpen with a grinder, i've cut throu some real decent sized roots in the past.

Ps If u were treating the stump with wedkiller it should not affect the rest of ur garden. I done a stump for my neighbours a few years ago, tree was felled years earlier but would sprout wee shoots/suckers up all over the lawn realy annoying them.

I recut stump a couple of inches lower and bored some grooves in it sprayed whole stump and filled groozes with Glyco, killed it off afrwe 1 treatment which did surprise me as a big old stump (2 1/2ft) and a big root system.

In hindsight/if u have any more trees to fell, i'd fell, treat stump almost immediately and leave for a bit before stump grinding or removal to let weeed killer work