Good springer and scope for rabbits and pigeons?

Tomo-1

Hi all,

As the title says, I am after a mid price .22 (non fac) springer and scope for killing pigeons and bunnies.

What is a good second hand option? are there any good new options? Budget: sensible for a low use gun.

Thanks.

I'm going to chip in with the Hatsan model 60s German barrel and Quattro trigger reportedly same as the Weirauch Record trigger. Has a recoil reduction system built in and can be had with a scope for £80.00 in as new condition.

For a air rifle you say will get little use the Model 60s would take some beating on cost.

If you want to spend more Any HW from numbers 77 up. Or an Air Ams TX200.

I'm going to chip in with the Hatsan model 60s German barrel and Quattro trigger reportedly same as the Weirauch Record trigger. Has a recoil reduction system built in and can be had with a scope for £80.00 in as new condition.

For a air rifle you say will get little use the Model 60s would take some beating on cost.

If you want to spend more Any HW from numbers 77 up. Or an Air Ams TX200.

Believe me the hatsan Quattro trigger is no record unit ! , I had one for about a week horrible twangy thing that grouped like a shotgun !!

Thing is an HW95 (in fact all HW spring powereds) is going to need a tune, springs are usually chopped with an angle grinder and not flattened (happened on the last two 95s we have purchased), that and the multitude of sharp edges in the mechanism means it needs a good going over, else the seals get shredded. Once done they are flaming superb, they really are, but they are expensive for a gun that needs tuning straight out of the box to stop it buzzing like a bee in a tinfoil factory.

The Quattro is a development of the Webley Omega unit, not a copy of the Rekord unit.

Now Fenboy can moan all he likes about the Hatsan 60S but I have never had a bad one, or one that sounded so bad out of the box that I needed a tuning kit for it. They have all been as accurate as me at 25 metres, thing is though a 60S is a .22 and you did specify you wanted a .177 so look for a 55S if you want to go cheaper and new (or a Webley Stingray Mk 2 if you want to go same price as HW and new but still buy the same gun as a 55S and pay for the name only - when I started out I did just that).

The Hatsan 55 though is a long heavy beast, an HW95K is much more balance and pointable. However the HW will more than likely have a varnished beech stock, the Hatsan has a nice oiled walnut stock. Both have 2 stage triggers, best adjustment on the Quattro unit is to screw the third grubscrew (one closest to the butt pad) nearly all the way out and give the one in the middle half a turn anti clockwise. Makes for a much better feeling trigger. The Hatsan like the HW has an automatic on safety and anti bear trap system.

The Hatsan 900 is a cheap gun, again with walnut stock, it has a built on moderator that cannot be removed and a single stage trigger. The trigger is woolly at best, however it is not bad and can be used for pigeon, squirrel and rabbit shooting. The trigger will never be as good as a Quattro or Rekord unit, but this gun can cost as low as £70 new and that is a right bargain.

Edited by secretagentmole

• 4 years later...

I have a hatsan 900x, the moderator can be removed by removing front cap and undoing the 19mm nut inside. I have buffed all internals on mine, replaced the trigger adjustment screw with a 10mm M3 screw for less travel, darkened the stock, applied Molly grease to main spring, added hawke IR 3x9x40 scope, one piece mount. It is 11.9 on the chronograph using rws superfields, and groups 1" at 40 yards. Nothing has gotten up and complained at 35yards

On 09/04/2016 at 20:10, felly100 said:

With regards the TX200,try before you buy.

I have one,it's super accurate but I can't stand the loading sequence.

I would never recommend one.

? Maybe a newer one than the one I regret selling, which was exactly the same as my HW77k - pull underlever back, keep hold of it and put pellet in breech - what is usual about that may I ask?

Edited by oscarsdad

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here and this thread is dated no doubt. But I'd add by saying hw99s, I've got one and can vouch for excellent quality and accuracy, record trigger!! for just over £200 new, cant imagine much else comes close (new that is.) A hawke fastmount/ vantage ao on a decent one piece mount sets it off nicely.

Triggers are important, tried a lightning se recently, as I used to have an original lightning but sadly swapped it in for a pcp. What a shame with the se, a nice looking gun, seems very good quality but a heavy as hell to pull plastic trigger ruins the gun and it seems mad but a replacement (decent) trigger seems very hard to come by. Luckily gun shop will take it back and exchange for something else, choice is a hw35 used for £195 or order a new 99s in .22 cal as my existing one is .177.

Any thoughts on hw35? 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Most likely bought one by now, OP was in 2016......

was going to say which muppet started the thread again 4 years later.................but i guess im a muppet for replying:lol:

i must admit i have resurected the odd ancient thread on purpose to see who got hooked.............:w00t:  now its me.....

quite funny really....when you think you might be speaking to a dead person..:lol:

Edited by ditchman