Beef burger........how to

ditchman

Hi Colin

If you want to mince it twice, would you need to stick the coarse mince back in freezer temporarily to harden up a little before mincing again? (so that it don't just turn to mush)?

I've been making my own rabbit and choir burgers for a while and they've gone down a storm with friends, family and colleagues haha might have to roll them out at the game food festival I've just launched.

would be a good idea with the smaller domestic mincers you find in most house hold's, we use larger industrial mincers at work so no need,

Colin is a butcher of many years experience, so I expect when he says he's made one or two it may be 1 or 2 thousand.

lol not far off probably 5-10k per year get a bit fed up of them by the end of summer

would be a good idea with the smaller domestic mincers you find in most house hold's, we use larger industrial mincers at work so no need,

lol not far off probably 5-10k per year get a bit fed up of them by the end of summer

lol I just realised that the word 'Chorizo' got mixed up and made into 'choir' on my mac.

Yup, the good old domestic mincer is all I have to use at home so wondered if I should part re-freeze before second mincing (I actually only use a old fashioned cast bench mounted handle one haha).

I'll give that a go to see how it works out :-)

Guest cookoff013

lol I just realised that the word 'Chorizo' got mixed up and made into 'choir' on my mac.

Yup, the good old domestic mincer is all I have to use at home so wondered if I should part re-freeze before second mincing (I actually only use a old fashioned cast bench mounted handle one haha).

I'll give that a go to see how it works out :-)

for a minute then it had me concerned. Although is cannibalism considered as "free range?"

There is nothing Colin Lad doesn't know about mincing

1800g of 12% fat steak mince (our butcher does 900g packs hence the weird weight)

1 egg

3 medium onions very finely chopped or liquidised

3 tablespoons oat bran.

I put them all in my kenwood chef with the K beater and mix really well.

I have a Weston burger press which is about 11cm wide and adjustable depth.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIAL-OFFER-Weston-Products-07-0301-Single-Hamburger-Press-/171414079359?hash=item27e913477f:g:pqMAAOSwoudW-9Kn

I make 200g burgers and they cook really well and stay moist without falling apart.

Not tried them on a BBQ, mine go in the frying pan. You might want to make them a bit thinner for the BBQ.

• 1 month later...

We do our own burgers:

Decent mince (comes from herself's family farm), about 600gm a pop

Salt, pepper

Chopped chilli

1 egg

Rosemary and Thyme (chopped)

Ground up cream crackers (about 10).

Make into large burgers.

Cook on a screaming hot in butter and oil until seared and then pop in an over to cook through.

Eat on ciabatta.

• 4 weeks later...

Lakeland do (or did) a very simple but effective burger maker - a plastic cylinder about 3.5' high with a tight fitting plunger that gives a nice tight burger. Mike Robinson has an excellent recipe for venison burgers - easy to find online - which is 50/50 pork mince and venison with, from memory, a big handful of coriander leaves. Best burger I've tried.

1800g of 12% fat steak mince (our butcher does 900g packs hence the weird weight)

1 egg

3 medium onions very finely chopped or liquidised

3 tablespoons oat bran.

I put them all in my kenwood chef with the K beater and mix really well.

I have a Weston burger press which is about 11cm wide and adjustable depth.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIAL-OFFER-Weston-Products-07-0301-Single-Hamburger-Press-/171414079359?hash=item27e913477f:g:pqMAAOSwoudW-9Kn

I make 200g burgers and they cook really well and stay moist without falling apart.

Not tried them on a BBQ, mine go in the frying pan. You might want to make them a bit thinner for the BBQ.

that sounds interesting and simple....like the oat bran mix....i will have a go at that...and i have 2 old kenwood chefs.............i will make a load and put them in the freezer...will also add some fresh finely chopped parsley........... :good: