Beef burger........how to

ditchman

im sick and tied of buying rubbish beef burgers...they all look nice but turn rubbish when cooked

QUESTION

I have a sorce of good quality mince...and i mean it is nice...how do i make a simple ...not fancy burger so it dosnt all fall apart when i cook it

cheers............

Take your mince and add bit of egg as a binder, I add finely chopped onion and a small amount brown bread crumbs. Season and mix well together in a bowl with your hands then take a bit roll into a ball about pool ball size and start squashing into your burger pattie to your desired thickness, I don't mind the edges breaking open. If you want neat use a cookie/cake cutter ring to squash the meat down into.

You can add herbs spices all sorts to your own taste. Tip is don't get mince too lean as its hell to bind together, around twenty percent fat is ideal as it melts away when cooking.

As long as the mince has a good percentage of fat (ideally at least 20%) and you put the burgers in the fridge to chill they will hold together. Get yourself a burger press, as they are not expensive and make the process easier and nicer looking burger. I make my own burgers from what I shoot but with pheasant you need to add more fat, which I use pork shoulder to achieve. A handful of chillies also adds a nice bit of kick.

Also when you stick them in the bbq, push your finger in the middle and this will stop the burger balling up and result in a flatter burger.

Edited by Graham Harvey

I just use good quality mince, black pepper, salt and a blob of Dijon mustard.

If you really work it together ad chill before cooking they don't fall apart

like the dijon mustard bit...i put some on the chicken when i roast it.... :good:

Try approx 20% belly pork minced up and mixed with minced game, finely chopped onion, breadcrumbs...egg to bind, season with salt and ground black pepper (you can even try the different commercially available herb burger mixes) the variations are endless!

I did some goose burgers last year they were very nice!

This is the recipe I use for venison burgers but should work equally well with beef. My children won't eat anything else, and get really chippy if we run out of venison!

Venison Burgers

• 1200g venison mince
  • 400g pork belly mince
  • 2 large onions, finely diced
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 2tbs olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, roasted and pureed
  • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 2tbs whole grain mustard
  • 2tbs freshly grated horseradish
  • 2 whole free range eggs
  • 100g fresh breadcrumbs

Heat a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and sauté the diced onion and grated carrot with seasoning until soft. Leave to cool completely and add the mashed garlic.

Measure all the ingredients including the cooked onion mixture into the bowl of a mixer, attach a dough hook and kneed the meat until all the ingredients are well mixed.

Test a small amount in a hot pan and taste, adjust the seasoning if needed.

Let the burgers rest in the fridge for at least 6 hours.

Cook the burgers 5 - 6 minutes on each side in a hot griddle pan, alternatively brown the burger in a hot pan and transfer it to a preheated oven at 200°C and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes.

This is the recipe I use for venison burgers but should work equally well with beef. My children won't eat anything else, and get really chippy if we run out of venison!

Venison Burgers

• 1200g venison mince
  • 400g pork belly mince
  • 2 large onions, finely diced
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 2tbs olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, roasted and pureed
  • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 2tbs whole grain mustard
  • 2tbs freshly grated horseradish
  • 2 whole free range eggs
  • 100g fresh breadcrumbs
Heat a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and sauté the diced onion and grated carrot with seasoning until soft. Leave to cool completely and add the mashed garlic.

Measure all the ingredients including the cooked onion mixture into the bowl of a mixer, attach a dough hook and kneed the meat until all the ingredients are well mixed.

Test a small amount in a hot pan and taste, adjust the seasoning if needed.

Let the burgers rest in the fridge for at least 6 hours.

Cook the burgers 5 - 6 minutes on each side in a hot griddle pan, alternatively brown the burger in a hot pan and transfer it to a preheated oven at 200°C and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes.

It sounds great, but I must say there really is no need for all of the extras, decent meat, cooked well, with decent seasoning is the way forward.

Add what ever flavors you like but simple salt and pepper is all you need, if you want it to stop falling apart mince the meat twice and press out firmly, if only minced once it will be very course hence why it falls apart same as when you add extras, if you want to add onion then mix it in before 2nd time through so that gets minced too,

I have made a couple in my time

Colin

Add what ever flavors you like but simple salt and pepper is all you need, if you want it to stop falling apart mince the meat twice and press out firmly, if only minced once it will be very course hence why it falls apart same as when you add extras, if you want to add onion then mix it in before 2nd time through so that gets minced too,

I have made a couple in my time

Colin

Hi Colin

If you want to mince it twice, would you need to stick the coarse mince back in freezer temporarily to harden up a little before mincing again? (so that it don't just turn to mush)?

I've been making my own rabbit and choir burgers for a while and they've gone down a storm with friends, family and colleagues haha might have to roll them out at the game food festival I've just launched.

Hi Colin

If you want to mince it twice, would you need to stick the coarse mince back in freezer temporarily to harden up a little before mincing again? (so that it don't just turn to mush)?

I've been making my own rabbit and choir burgers for a while and they've gone down a storm with friends, family and colleagues haha might have to roll them out at the game food festival I've just launched.

Colin is a butcher of many years experience, so I expect when he says he's made one or two it may be 1 or 2 thousand.