By surprise

oowee

At the farm for 730 with the Air Ranger and with my new DaveG NV sett out my seat opposite the warrens on the other side of the narrow field. The Warrens run from right to left at 35m to 65m distance so I set the scope to 50m and practice how I can range across them using the shooting sticks. At 8 the sun has set and I think I have a fairly good idea of what what and where as its easy to get disorientated when using the NV.

Whilst its starting to get dark the 50mm scope and DaveG are gathering plenty of light and i don't need the illuminator. From no where to my left a rabbit is sitting about 15m away but I am facing at right angles to it looking at the warrens. I move so slowly trying to lift the rifle with my right hand on the thumbhole and use my left to lower the sticks to my knees. The rabbit turns to face me half way through the manouver and taps the ground in nervousness. I pause and almost hold my breath but I cant stop as the rifle is too heavy. So i lower it across my lap pointing in the general direction. As the scope is set on 50m focus is way out and for a min or so i struggle to see the rabbit but at least its waiting.

I gradually focus my eyes on the blurred out line not daring to reach forward to the focus ring and bend my head to the right to look for the cross hairs. A most ungainly shooting position and take the shot. The rabbit jumps a moment and is down. On collecting the rabbit I have hit it below the head in the base of the neck and the first one is in the bag. Over the next hour I had a couple more from the warren side but on my next visit i will try from the other side of the field.