FX Wildcat FAC .22

Hamster

I must admit mate it looks like you would be expecting better at that sort of range with it. I did my .25 bobcat at 45 yards on Saturday and although the zero was out (shourd came a bit loose) I was getting <1/2" groups off it off the sticks.

As a suggestion and you may have tried it but the pics are a bit small have you tried some of the heavier .22 pellets through it? My bobcat hated H+N FTT and gave some **** groups I think they were a bit light at 20grain but it loves JSBs at 25grain I think it was pushing the lighter ones too fast.

Hamster I'm really surprised that the fx doesn't shoot better than that at such close range , I watch teds holdover and I can't remember a fx that doesn't drive tacks. The fx impact is the first air rifle that I would consider selling one of my rapids for , I think I will leave it while until a few more people have them

I must admit mate it looks like you would be expecting better at that sort of range with it. I did my .25 bobcat at 45 yards on Saturday and although the zero was out (shourd came a bit loose) I was getting <1/2" groups off it off the sticks.

As a suggestion and you may have tried it but the pics are a bit small have you tried some of the heavier .22 pellets through it? My bobcat hated H+N FTT and gave some **** groups I think they were a bit light at 20grain but it loves JSBs at 25grain I think it was pushing the lighter ones too fast.

I haven't tried any really heavy pellets as yet except the Barracuda partition ones at 19.09 grains but they don't really count, I will be getting some Bisley Magnums soon and have ordered a box of FX 16 grain to test.

The rifle came back with a test sheet of 16 shots with readouts ranging from 911 fps to 923 fps so average spread is excellent, they also supplied three cardboard groups apparently shot with FX 16 grain pellets at 45 yards with the rifle held in a rigid rig, needless to say they are all cloverleaf :rolleyes::lol: .

I'm not unhappy with the pound coin size groups now to be fair and I feel part of the problem lies with the very light nature of the rifle too hence trying to see if some extra weight with the Huggett might help. What had wound me up before was the frequency of fliers, the mag and the fact it wouldn't take a zero.

I may yet hit on that magic pellet so worth having a pop with the FX, some heavies and maybe even a dabble with H&N Field etc, I'm a medium weight pellet fan at heart so will give most things a fair try.

When trying the Huggett for a quick few shots earlier I was amazed at how much louder the rifle sounds when fired without the tiny shroud end cap, I also noticed it was loose which may have contributed to the random fliers on the earlier session.

PS. Whitetail, you have to ignore most of those groups, most are groups within a group if you know what I mean, some include the act of adjusting the scope to the POI, the rifle has now shot full clips into under pound coin diameter.

Don't forget to keep the barrel clean, on teds holdover he had some mad spiralling going on till he cleaned it then was shooting shotgun carts at silly ranges.

I believe for try pellet testing you need to remove yourself as much as possible and use a bench rest sled with front and rear supports. With such a short light gun it's so easy to move it when firing. Watching others getting good groups they barely touch the rifle. Only rifle I've had that don't like Bisley magnums is a HW95 it sprays them around.

Did fx state the pellet head size they used for the test groups?

The flyers your getting could be odd weight or size pellets in the tin, might be worth sorting them and trying them again.

Edited by figgy

Don't forget to keep the barrel clean, on teds holdover he had some mad spiralling going on till he cleaned it then was shooting shotgun carts at silly ranges.

I believe for try pellet testing you need to remove yourself as much as possible and use a bench rest sled with front and rear supports. With such a short light gun it's so easy to move it when firing. Watching others getting good groups they barely touch the rifle. Only rifle I've had that don't like Bisley magnums is a HW95 it sprays them around.

Did fx state the pellet head size they used for the test groups?

The flyers your getting could be odd weight or size pellets in the tin, might be worth sorting them and trying them again.

I seem to recall one of his video's where he discovered the spiralling effect on a HW100 was due to too high a speed which was cured by dropping the power a tad but cleaning the barrel is still a good shout but bear in mind my fliers are only really millimeters off the main group, unlike his being a few inches off.

I believe there's definitely some mileage with several different things such as cleaning the barrel, trying different pellets and quite possibly experimenting with the hammer pressures, I can afford to sacrifice a few ft lbs in lieu of an easier to shoot rifle. The fliers are definitely fewer compared to the first barrel.

There was no mention of head size in their supplied test sheet as I believe there is only the one available, would make sense since SmoothTwist is supposed to negate the need for diifferent head diameters ?!

Edited by Hamster

Bought some Bisley Magnum 21.4 grain and some AA 18 grain today for future testing and managed to get a few shots off with the Huggett and ended up buying it :), it makes the gun even quieter, doesn't in any way make it too long and pretty sure it aids overall stability and arguably better grouping.

Tight group with full clip of Exacts which even including the 3 pellets off the main pack is still only half the size of a pound coin, the second group shot with AArms 16 grain pellets was shot as fast as I could load, aim and fire (approx 3 seconds per shot) and barely breaks the diameter of a pound coin, starting to like the gun.

I forgot to see if I could get some felt cleaning pellets but I do feel the lack of a conventional cheek piece (which aids consistent eye alignment) may be partly the cause of those odd pellets being a few mm's off the main cluster. It will be interesting to see how the heavy stuff fares.

post-33911-0-99057400-1463594912_thumb.jpeg

post-33911-0-80932500-1463594920_thumb.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Just read a report on the FX .25 FAC in the Aug 2016 issue of Airgunner and it seems the writer has pretty much had the same initial thoughts on the gun as I did regarding accuracy.

It seems odd though that he hasn't suspected the barrel to be at least partly responsible, instead he seems to think the 47 ft lbs power setting may just be too much for the package.

Mine went a bit off the other day a fair few flyer with its normal pellets. I have given the barrel a good clean to see if that fixes it as it was spot on before. I did catch some notes on the US forum that the smooth twist does seem to suffer from fouling more than you would expect from an air rifle.

If this doesnt fix it im going to try some heavier pellets. After that its back to the shop to get it investigated by ASI really odd though as grouping has been fine from the off so I am hopeing it is a case of it needs a clean every 400 rounds or so.

• 1 month later...

I know you're meant to put hunting pics elsewhere but since it's relevant to this topic hopefully people won't mind. I have had several good outings with the gun and happy to report it seems to hold zero really well, much nicer to carry around and generally easier to handle compared to most other guns I've had. :)

post-33911-0-36841800-1474314584_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...