American E shot

A friend just brought me back 5lb from America, I wondered if anyone has used it and their impressions, it seems very soft and crushes easily,( softer than Bismuth) I was hoping to load it as lead with fibre wads but now wondering if it needs plastic to protect it ! any views appreciated

Edited by islandgun

Its a scintered hevi shot but suitable for any gun and choke, just weighed english 3# lead 28g =145 and E shot american 4# 28g = 125

I also believe "e-shot" to be variously called "Eco shot", "eco tungsten", "nice shot" or sintered hevishot? if it is tungsten based which I believe it is? Whatever.....I would not fire it without a totally enclosed wad to protect the bores from scoring! (tungsten even in powder form is harder than steel) I also believe you can load it to "original" hevishot recipes? But do your homework on the American sites before you decide!

American E shot is a soft and barrel friendly and can be loaded in standard lead wads , it can also be used through and responds well to tight chokes according to the makers claims.

As I am sure the makers would not want to leave themselves open to numerous claims for damaged barrels I think it would be safe to use as they suggest.

Edited by fenboy

Cheap enough for top quality, dense shot.

thanks all, some interesting reading there Penelope, I'm getting an English 3" chambered sxs this summer and will be using the E shot in that, probably with a plastic shot cup incidently the shot retailed at $110 for 5lb (approx £78 :/)

Finally had a look at the RSI handbook vol 1 E shotshell reloading (which came with the shot) , its states that E shot is heavier than lead and responds best in restrictive chokes. In short although the shot is frangible at first, it becomes harder during setback with increased pressure. quote "it is this secondary cold flow sintering makes the E shot very effective" the recipes in the handbook all use the sam1 wads (no surprises there) and you can use other hevi shot or lead recipes. I also googled sinter/scinter and you can use iether or either :)

Finally had a look at the RSI handbook vol 1 E shotshell reloading (which came with the shot) , its states that E shot is heavier than lead and responds best in restrictive chokes. In short although the shot is frangible at first, it becomes harder during setback with increased pressure. quote "it is this secondary cold flow sintering makes the E shot very effective" the recipes in the handbook all use the sam1 wads (no surprises there) and you can use other hevi shot or lead recipes. I also googled sinter/scinter and you can use iether or either :)

Sounds an interesting shot type.

Bit confused by the tern becomes harder what is meant here,, does it harden under pressure and stay in that state then after pressure reduces returning to pre state, , or is it firming up under pressure and staying like that externaly too.

If its the latter its going to be speed sensitive rather like ITM was to some extent.

I dont really se that as a pluss myself.

Edited by TONY R

I will try and give an abreviated version, E shot is a combination of dense and soft metals, during manufacture sufficient pressure is exerted to hold the shot together but not to cause the softer metals to migrate through the interstitial spaces and bind with the other elements, as a result the shot is somewhat frangible and may (will) break up when subjected to crushing, However the process of launching the E shot through the barrel and stresses generated within the shell and subsequent impact causes internal pressures and temperatures sufficient to cause the soft metals to flow through the interstitial spaces,it is this secondary cold flow sintering process which makes E shot effective. given an adequate velocity and (pressure around the balls) their words not mine, it was when working on another project when this phenomena became known

bottom line is does it work ? and if it does will it become available over here

Nice Shot - Made from tungsten, tin and iron, this shot is almost as heavy as lead as well as being soft and malleable. This can be shot through old guns but requires a protective wad. This is from clay and game who sell nice shot which I think is also called E shot, I might be wrong, Jim.

Nice Shot - Made from tungsten, tin and iron, this shot is almost as heavy as lead as well as being soft and malleable. This can be shot through old guns but requires a protective wad. This is from clay and game who sell nice shot which I think is also called E shot, I might be wrong, Jim.

Think you could be right. :good:

Think you could be right. :good:

But E shot weighs more than Lead and Nice shot weighs less, so apart from this subtle difference the two are identical :lol:

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Smiler23 said:

Know this is an old post, but did any of you lads purchase/try this e-shot out?

I would have done, but for me HW13 was the better option. I doubt the same kind of dense patterns are achievable with the softer E shot.