Cleaning cleaning stuff

Glenlivet

I have an a300 semi. I only clean it every 500 or so (once a fortnight)I use sas spray so no oil required it keeps the **** at bay. Its synthetic so don't bother with the stock except under the tap. Once a year the trigger mech out to remove dirt but thats about it minimal effort.

I have an a300 semi. I only clean it every 500 or so (once a fortnight)I use sas spray so no oil required it keeps the **** at bay. Its synthetic so don't bother with the stock except under the tap. Once a year the trigger mech out to remove dirt but thats about it minimal effort.

I'm talking about cleaning the wool mops you use after the brass brush, not the gun itself.

Lazy boy, should clean the gun EVERY time!! (I HATE cleaning my gun but having seen badly pitted barrels I grit my teeth and do it).

A glass screw top jar, some washing up liquid,& warm water,do a mick jagger " not fade away" marraccas impersonation, job done.

This......

I give my mine a good wash in washing up liquid and hot water, rinse then and stick them in the dishwasher.

....then this sounds good!

I'm talking about cleaning the wool mops you use after the brass brush, not the gun itself.

Lazy boy, should clean the gun EVERY time!! (I HATE cleaning my gun but having seen badly pitted barrels I grit my teeth and do it).

Ooops sorry :) I dont use anything other than paper and throw it away after.

After the brass brush I use rag wound around a brass jag to get the crud out or the purpose made patches are good,I've never cleaned my mop because that's what I use to run a very small amount of oil when I've finished.

However if I was going to clean one I wold use hot water and washing up liquid or the old faithful bio washing powder.

After the brass brush I use rag wound around a brass jag to get the crud out or the purpose made patches are good,I've never cleaned my mop because that's what I use to run a very small amount of oil when I've finished.

However if I was going to clean one I wold use hot water and washing up liquid or the old faithful bio washing powder.

I was using patches but when I looked for a new supply the price was ridiculous so now I have two mops, one to remove the crud then a 'clean' mop to oil.

I give my mine a good wash in washing up liquid and hot water, rinse then and stick them in the dishwasher.

Be very careful doing this. I ran a couple of moderators through the dishwasher a couple of years ago, and ladyP nearly clubbed me to death for it !

Though if she's away for a weekend, then it stays between me and the dog, of course

Edited by robbiep

I was using patches but when I looked for a new supply the price was ridiculous so now I have two mops, one to remove the crud then a 'clean' mop to oil.

Last ones i got were 50yd roll off fleabay for something like £25 which is almost a lifetimes supply.

I also use rolled up kitchen towel in front of brush to absorb crud. Insert towel, Spray wd40 or similar down barrel from muzzle end, push paper and rod through to remove 95% of crud.

Not quite an answer to the question asked ...... but my solution; after I have bronze brushed with solvent, I clean the dirty oil/solvent cleaner (I use Youngs 303) out with scrumpled up loo paper - until its pretty clean. Then apply a little fresh clean oil, but I use a fibre Payne Gallwey pattern brush rather than a wool mop to apply it. This is much easier to keep clean than a wool mop and works just as well.

Wool mops are only supposed to be used for applying oil (3in1 or similar) to the bore after you have cleaned it to prevent rust. They are not rigid enough for general cleaning, too fluffy. You should use patches and a jag for cleaning and keep changing them . Don't bother buying patches, no way! just cut up an old cotton T shirt or bed sheet.

Edited by Vince Green

Get yourself down to pound land or savers and buy the blue cleaning rags that come on a huge roll, take one sheet and cut into 4 patches. Each patch can be folded in half length ways then wrapped around the bronze brush (after a good barrel scrub with plenty of cleaner).

I personally find passing around 6 - 8 of these patches per barrel gets all the residual gunk out and leaves the barrel very clean, I then pass the wool mop through twice with Legia spray.

Have been using the same wool mop for about a year now and it looks almost as clean as new, never been washed but used in the correct way after a good cleaning of the barrel and the mop should last a long time.

Andy

Get yourself down to pound land or savers and buy the blue cleaning rags that come on a huge roll, take one sheet and cut into 4 patches. Each patch can be folded in half length ways then wrapped around the bronze brush (after a good barrel scrub with plenty of cleaner).

I personally find passing around 6 - 8 of these patches per barrel gets all the residual gunk out and leaves the barrel very clean, I then pass the wool mop through twice with Legia spray.

Have been using the same wool mop for about a year now and it looks almost as clean as new, never been washed but used in the correct way after a good cleaning of the barrel and the mop should last a long time.

Andy

I've had my mops for years I, but they do need a clean every 10 years or so.