Sons account has been emptied!

Lord Geordie

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have told him! He seemed a little perplexed! He has little concept of friendship etc! But he grasps the fact people have offered to help! But I feel its important for him to make his own way on life! As I have done! I don't want him thinking there will be a constant safety net to catch him! This has been one of those lessons that hurt like hell, but as its happened, it will help him to understand that he isn't invincible! And he needs to take care of all his actions! That's why I would like to get the extra hours at work! If I can get a mortgage sorted! I can at least provide him with the security of a roof over his head should anything happen to me! Roll on May! Just hope the bank manager will be ok! I am managing the rent as is! So with extra hours I should think a mortgage should be well within my reach! Even if I have to take a second job working the odd day off!

We do OK and cant grumble really! Like I say, there are do many people out there who have nothing! We at least have the luxury of a warm bed and food!

I had same problem a week or so ago, someone tried to get £600 from my bank via PayPal, bank said it was for photography equipment and refused to pay and stopped my card. Took 2 days to get through to paypal, they said they wasn't at fault and that someone had scammed my card in a shop and then opened another eBay account, load of ****!

I just received a very well put together phishing email from "paypal@e.paypal.co.uk" (note the extra 'e' in the address) saying that someone had tried to reset my password and click here to log if it wasn't me. There seems to have been a step-change in the level of paypal phishing recently. Be aware.

I just received a very well put together phishing email from "paypal@e.paypal.co.uk" (note the extra 'e' in the address) saying that someone had tried to reset my password and click here to log if it wasn't me. There seems to have been a step-change in the level of paypal phishing recently. Be aware.

This same lot 'e.paypal' have just emailed me to ask me to respond to join a competition to win £1000.

Lot of phishing going on at the moment.

For those who can... Download the Paypal app, then all your notifications come through that and not email, then ignor all emails

Plus every payment comes up as a notification so if an unauthorised payment is made you will know about it!

Well, both PayPal AND the bank are washing their hands! Apparently the IP for the transactions match Chris' they claim someone has used his PC physically or remotely and they are not responsible for it. All I can do now is try the police 😩

Just to clarify. His paypal account has been used to send money to an old friend and another email address. PayPal has said that your IP was used. Is that correct?

Thus seems odd. Is there any chance your son sent the money? This is looking like a bullying/blackmail situation potentially as opposed to scam.

Edited by BrowningB525

Do you have logging enabled on your home router? If you have the logs from when the transaction was made you should be able to check the device that made the transaction and how it was connected i.e. wifi or ethernet.

Seems unlikely that someone was sat outside your house breaking your wifi. If your son didn't send the money then his computer is compromised. A look at the firewall log would tell you how.

Just to clarify. His paypal account has been used to send money to an old friend and another email address. PayPal has said that your IP was used. Is that correct?

Thus seems odd. Is there any chance your son sent the money? This is looking like a bullying/blackmail situation potentially as opposed to scam.

Thats pretty much what they are saying!The IP that was used for the transactions is the same as Chris' IP address! But there is nobody to physically access his account as there is only Chris and Myself live here and nobody is ever here! I Have CCTV and sure enough nobody was here that day! Its looking like someone has gained remote access of his PC and used the remote link to carry out the transfers! He leaves his PC on all the time, Now his old school chum is a bit of a bandit and has had run ins with the police in the past for theft, fraud etc but I never thought he would stoop this low (if it IS him) but because the IP matches, Paypal have said they are NOT responsible and wash their hands of it! The banks fraud team have taken the same stance! Now all we can do it contact the police! But in all reality, the chances of getting the money back are now 0.

Moving forward I have told chris to closel his Paypal account, and I am going to have to intervene and become a middle man in his transactions to prevent any future issues!

He had an appointment at the cardiologists today, I felt so bad with his sat there with his hands and face, and hope to god people dont think it's Me beating the **** out of him!

If I get this time I needed at work, and sooner rather than later! I may be able to get enough squirreled away before October and get him the printer for his Birthday as a Surprise! In the mean time I will make small deposits into his account and will say it's pocket money! Slowly he will see it build up again and calm him down! But the Birthday present will make his day!

I think this shall by my annus horribilis, so will focus on trying to just get this **** out of the way and move on!

Thats pretty much what they are saying!The IP that was used for the transactions is the same as Chris' IP address! But there is nobody to physically access his account as there is only Chris and Myself live here and nobody is ever here! I Have CCTV and sure enough nobody was here that day! Its looking like someone has gained remote access of his PC and used the remote link to carry out the transfers! He leaves his PC on all the time, Now his old school chum is a bit of a bandit and has had run ins with the police in the past for theft, fraud etc but I never thought he would stoop this low (if it IS him) but because the IP matches, Paypal have said they are NOT responsible and wash their hands of it! The banks fraud team have taken the same stance! Now all we can do it contact the police! But in all reality, the chances of getting the money back are now 0.

Moving forward I have told chris to closel his Paypal account, and I am going to have to intervene and become a middle man in his transactions to prevent any future issues!

He had an appointment at the cardiologists today, I felt so bad with his sat there with his hands and face, and hope to god people dont think it's Me beating the **** out of him!

If I get this time I needed at work, and sooner rather than later! I may be able to get enough squirreled away before October and get him the printer for his Birthday as a Surprise! In the mean time I will make small deposits into his account and will say it's pocket money! Slowly he will see it build up again and calm him down! But the Birthday present will make his day!

I think this shall by my annus horribilis, so will focus on trying to just get this **** out of the way and move on!

Are you 100% sure that he hasn't been coerced into sending the money? Did they take the exact amount he has? Remote control of computers is not something all that common and the lad in question doesn't sound like the sort.

I am not being harsh on your son, I am on the spectrum myself (hence probably seeming blunt) so understand better than most.

In the meantime, get him to this place https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/MakerSpace_%28Newcastle,_UK%29 to play with a 3d printer and other stuff.

This has been quite a traumatic read with the way there was initial hope and then none.

If you don't mind me saying I think you ought to allow those of us, count me in please, who are able to dip into a pocket for £20 or so. I think your son might dwell on the issue and not move on with his life very quickly.

Its small change that will allow you more time to work with your son than work extra hours to replace the fund, Possibly telling him that it got sorted out but be a bit vague about how that got done.

Edited by Dave-G

This has been quite a traumatic read with the way there was initial hope and then none.

If you don't mind me saying I think you ought to allow those of us, count me in please, who are able to dip into a pocket for £20 or so. I think your son is likely to overly dwell on the issue and move on with his life very quickly.

Its small change that will allow you more time to work with your son than work extra hours to replace the fund, Possibly telling him that it got sorted out but be a bit vague about how that got done.

like your style on the last bit

If you don't mind me saying I think you ought to allow those of us, count me in please, who are able to dip into a pocket for £20 or so. I think your son might dwell on the issue and not move on with his life very quickly.

This