What's next?

carl jones

Hi all this is a noob question but I only really started pigeon shooting January so I do classify.

Basically iv read pigeons are on the buds and clover atm. All my perms have done there spring drilling. Since the drillings have dried up iv only seen a handful of pigeons feeding on the rape. So my question is whats next where the pigeons go on to feed.

Thanks in advance

Carl

That's where your research and reconnaissance come into play! It'll be different on different farms depending on what they're growing and what stage of development the crops are at.

Added to a bit of built-up knowledge you should be able to predict where the next flurry of activity will be. You should either already know what crop is in what field, therefore when it is vulnerable, or at other times of the year see if you can get the info from the farmer to tell you what the future drilling plans are for the season.

Bottom line is you won't know where they are unless you're out there watching them. If you get a definite idea of the main flight lines in and out of the land you have a good place to start. Good luck!

Edited by Jim Neal

I pretty much do this anyway. I have wheat , barley rape and freshly drilled potatoes. Wheat is about a foot high (grass) barley is just couple inches . Rape is well in flower. I know what crops are being grown and also know roughly when harvest time is. I just don't know the bits in between. Thanks for the advice

The bits in between are basically the pleasure you get from learning how it all works I guess! There's oodles of information on here, spending a bit of time usingthe search function can throw up lots of stuff from over the years, and obviously you can fill in the blanks by posting questions for everyone to answer differently :lol: