Benelli 828U O/U thoughts from owners?

jonthebrit

Afternoon,

My daughter and I have taken up clay shooting and while I'm waiting on the verdict of our SGC application I've been looking at and trying to use prospective guns to see which ones fit the bill.
I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that my daughter would be using a 20 gauge, probably beretta, due to the weight of the 12 gauge offerings. She's actually pretty good with a 20g but our instructor threw a curve ball at us last weekend and bought out the Benelli 828U 12g for her to try for a change.
First off I thought it looked pretty hateful but it was so very light. My daughter actually liked the look and feel so she gave it a go even though she was a little nervous of the larger cartridge. During the lesson we were also trying to get away from pre-mounting the shotgun (so were tackling something new to us anyway) so expected to do a little worse than usual. Instead she did really, really well with it. Larger pattern or just a better feel with the gun? Dunno.
I did a search on here and there was a thread from last year but rather than resurrect that I thought I should start a new one.
Anyone any experience of this gun? Issues or the practicalities of cleaning etc? How does it compare with the ultralight offering from Beretta? The Browning cynergy offering looks to be at least 1lb heavier. Is that their only lighter weight 12g offering?
Thanks for the help!
Edited by jonthebrit

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jon, I had the occasion to try the 828U with my wife, who is in more or less exactly the same position as your daughter. The gun was impressive, apart from a few nags:2

1) Auto safety ! I hear it's dead easy to disable, but blimey the number of swear words during out 60 clay trying was rather large :-)

2) During our test, there was a case where the gun didn't close. Turns out it didn't like the cartridge in the top barrel.. put that into the bottom barrel and it worked. it was very puzzling!

3) the RFD also think that that gun will need an extra 'deep clean' after a few 1000th cartridges to clean the back of the action... TBH it looks a bit like a crud trap there.

Otherwise the gun worked fine, and we broke clays with it... But we eventually decided not to buy one. No problems with looks etc, but my wife wanted to shoot 12g under the impression that 20g was 'not enough' for clay, but since then we saw a handful of people shooting 20g who were amazingly good, and that has reassured her that 20g is just fine, when pointed right :-)

I've still be looking to get a game gun that might fit the both of us; one option you can add on your list is the Browning B525 Light; it's about the same weight as the 828 roughly, and looks like a very nice little gun.

Edited by buze

If your Daugher is of small build would a gas operated semi auto or even an inertia driven one like a Benelli montefeltro not be a better gun for her. Lightweight and a load less recoil. She would be able to shoot any cart that she wanted without worry of being kicked by the recoil.

Alert from semi autos only a heavy gun can soak up recoil and 828U is a lightweight gun that plenty of people who have tried it said the felt recoil was a lot more than expected, even with the recoil reducing pad.

I am a Benelli auto user and like the way the gun has been simplified compared to other autos. The 828U seems to have been made more complicated than it needed to be for no reason I can fathom. There is no need for a locking bolt as you get on a semi auto. Or inertia tripped ejectors. Bit too much trying to reinvent the wheel.

If you are set on a 828U which I think you are,you won't be put off buying one,find the best deal you can or better still a used one.

Edited by figgy

My best friend's wife use one of these and with 24g Evo in 8 doesn't suffer recoil problems and breaks everything another cartridge and gun would, she previously used a 525 but found it too heavy to shoot 100 sporting as she is very slight (in fact if she stands sideway on she disappears)

Not deliberately contradicting the above but don't be put off by auto safety, its a good habit to get into for when you start game shooting, if you hear people swear when a clay is lost due to being unfamiliar with an auto safety, just wait until a right and left of Pheasant sail past untroubled...

Elvis the pelvis that is my exact point with the 828U the need to use light cartridges or very soft shooting cartridges. We all agree that 24g carts can work but not many of choose to use them when 28 gram are so much better pattern wise.

The use of a semi auto for a woman or anyone of smaller or slight build can allow them to shoot any cartridge they want to without a gun weight penelty or felt recoil. The lighter gun and reduced recoil of a semi auto lets them enjoy the sport without the fatigue that many suffer.

Edited by figgy

Thanks for the comments.

The one we tried was with a 21g load so very little in the way of recoil. She's had a hold of a Browning 725 and Beretta 686 12 gauge but the weight is an issue. Not necessarily decided on this 828U and I'm still in two minds about just going for a S/H 20g for her and just getting more experience before looking at more 12 gauge guns (if we actually need to). I'm going to hunt out some of the suggestions mentioned and see if I can get her some time shooting clays with them before making a decision.

Cheers,

Jon

Elvis the pelvis that is my exact point with the 828U the need to use light cartridges or very soft shooting cartridges. We all agree that 24g carts can work but not many of choose to use them when 28 gram are so much better pattern wise.

I disagree completely, like for like 24g cartridges pattern far more evenly, i would only use 28g if shooting at long range edge on clays needing bigger shot to break them. Try some 24 and 28 of the same cartridge on a pattern plate, you will be very surprised (I certainly was).. For general sporting I think people use 28g as it make them feel more confident (no bad thing) but they definitely do not pattern as well as 24g.

Thanks for the comments.

The one we tried was with a 21g load so very little in the way of recoil. She's had a hold of a Browning 725 and Beretta 686 12 gauge but the weight is an issue. Not necessarily decided on this 828U and I'm still in two minds about just going for a S/H 20g for her and just getting more experience before looking at more 12 gauge guns (if we actually need to). I'm going to hunt out some of the suggestions mentioned and see if I can get her some time shooting clays with them before making a decision.

Cheers,

Jon

I wouldn't suggest 20g, they will pattern tighter for the given choke and can still beat you up with heavier or faster cartridges. In general i find that the same cartridges seem rougher in 20g vs 12g, the only advantage of a 20 is if you are carrying it around all day rough shooting, certainly no upside for clays. 20g is very capable and get for what it is designed for, i would suggest the 828 with 24gram cartridges (ev0 are great), 26gram or maybe 28gram for game (imperial game are great and very soft)

ive shot the 828 on several occasions now and I have to admit that it comes up well and with sensible cartridges its a great gun.

just steer clear of anything punchy cartridges wise. as it's quite light, it does kick a bit!

never had any issues with the one I have used, and have put a good slab through it.

the only thing that put me off buying one was the barrel length. I prefer a 32 inch barrel.

if your young lady shoots well with one, then be a good dad and buy her one! lol :good:

HI Jon

My son who is 13 uses an 828u it obviously kicks more than a heavier game gun or sporter, however the recoil is less than most other lightweight shotguns due to the recoil system, add that to light weight cartridges (Hull super fast 27g 1500fps) they hardly kick at all and produce good patterns .

There has been no issues with the gun since purchase and it comes up lovely,

I noticed a comment about a deep clean in the thread and I would expect this is correct due to the moving action, however the removal of the action itself is on one pin and takes seconds.. so really it easier than a standard sporter... don't let cleaning your gun put you off...

As many above have said if its kick you want to reduce then a semi is the way to go.. if you really want an U / O then I am sure you won't be disappointed with the Benelli.

Good luck and happy shooting to you and your daughter

Terry

• 1 month later...

I am also keen to read opinions on the Benelli 828U for use as a clay gun. I am a big fan of Benelli and I own a Benelli M1 super 90 (8-shot) and a Benelli M2 Practical (10 shot), used for Target Shotgun and Clays, so would like to add the Benelli O/U to the fold.

I currently use a Browning A5 (125th anniversary model) which I shoot well with. I also have a Browning Ultra XS, I shoot Ok with it but I have never really "bonded" with it, the same way that I have with the Benelli's and the A5. It is a heavy gun at 8 lbs, so I am considering trading in the Ultra XS for a Benelli 828U

I tried the 828 and thought it was a lovely looking gun. If you wanted a low recoil 28 grm cartridge with very little recoil then try the hull comp x. my wife used to shoot 24 grms, now she uses these and can not tell any differance.

Possibly because the Hull 24g is 1400fps and the 28g is 1375fps

I have an 828U. I use for clays and really like it. Unfortunately it had to go back to GMK due to the bottom ejector ejecting when the cartridge hat not been shot. It was due to a bit of plastic off the cases blocking the ejector impulse system. I do hope this isn't going to be a design flaw.

For information, after trying quite a few guns (828u, a Browning Game Light etc) I bought a... AYA Coral; lovely little game gun. Just had it fitted with an adjustable comb and proper recoil pad, and the Mrs will get to test it this week-end with a slab of Hull CompX 21.

That AYA is less than 50 grams heavier than her 425 Prestige 20g, so there's hope she might be happy pointing that around. we shall see...

Sorry to hear of your problem @elgreco; was the problem there all along, or did it develop with usage?

Edited by buze

For information, after trying quite a few guns (828u, a Browning Game Light etc) I bought a... AYA Coral; lovely little game gun. Just had it fitted with an adjustable comb and proper recoil pad, and the Mrs will get to test it this week-end with a slab of Hull CompX 21.

That AYA is less than 50 grams heavier than her 425 Prestige 20g, so there's hope she might be happy pointing that around. we shall see...

Sorry to hear of your problem @elgreco; was the problem there all along, or did it develop with usage?

It seems some of the plastic casing from the cartridges had got stuck in the ejector impulse port so must have been something which had developed. Apparently mine is not the only one they have had back for this. Edited by elgreco

Damn, I have just looked at this,

http://www.benelli.it/en/products/over-under/828-u/828-u in Black

and this

http://www.benelli.it/en/products/semiautomatic-shotguns/raffaello/executive-3

Where in Hampshire or near can I view the range...

Ohhh no I have just found the prices $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by B25Modelman

Just for info, Mrs has been converted to the AYA Coral; very little tweaking needed on the adjustable comb, and she's started to dust clays immediately with it. She's chuffed. She says there's considerably less 'kick' from the Hull Comp X 21g compared to the 20 bore. Only little problem is that the gun is quite difficult to open sometimes; seems the action wants to reset the safety switch, however one's hand has a tendency to be over the switch when trying to open the gun! Especially with little hands. Anyway, there is a workaround so...

Perhaps in the future she'll try other guns, including the benelli again -- but for now the quest for 'very lightweight 12 bore' is over (I hope ;-))