Benelli 828U O/U thoughts from owners?

jonthebrit

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I bought myself a 828U in black today (I preferred the black colour). Took it to the gun club this afternoon and put 41 shells through it (combination of 21g / 24g & 28g) just to test it out.

Recoil was ok with all loads. I took the auto safety spring out when I got home. I haven't altered the stock as it seems that it might be ok...... but I won't know until I get to the clay ground next week.

Nice to have a Benelli O/U to go with my Benelli M1-Super 90 and M2 Practical :)

After trying other O/U shotguns my daughters preference was the 828u so we've one on order in black. She was pretty good with all the guns she tried but I guess confidence is a big contributor to hitting clays and her really liking the look of it doesn't hurt either.

Myself, I ended up with a really nice second hand Beretta Silver Pigeon III so we're almost ready to go :)

After trying other O/U shotguns my daughters preference was the 828u so we've one on order in black. She was pretty good with all the guns she tried but I guess confidence is a big contributor to hitting clays and her really liking the look of it doesn't hurt either.

Myself, I ended up with a really nice second hand Beretta Silver Pigeon III so we're almost ready to go :)

Nice choice and its good that you both get new guns :good:

Just a bit of an update:

Yesterday I had another look at the 828U and decided to drop the stock down two positions. Easy enough to do (same system as my Benelli M2 Practical). I know people have various ways of sighting a shotgun but I sight flat down the rib as in this diagram:

http://www.chassezdiscount.com/boutique/images_produits/828-u-silver-3-zzz-z.png

In the shop, one of the Staff assembled the new gun but then struggled to remove the forend to pack it back into the case. This is one of those situations were a person really should read the tag attached to the barrels that explains that you need to firmly squeeze / grip the forend against the barrels for the forend release button to work. Easy once you realise.

Once home it took me several attempts to fit the barrels to the action.... it is a kinda down and forward before the action will close. It is a case of finding the sweet-spot and once you have done it a couple of times it is easy.

Removing the trigger group is easy... but you do need to read the instructions first. It is a case of remove forend and barrels, then with something like the flat end of a Bic pen (I used the plastic pin push tools for my AR-15 type rifles), push a tiny button on the top edge of the action that allows you to move the cocking lever into its "closed" position. (This is the same recommended procedure for packing the gun into its hard case). Removing the trigger group is easy with the supplied wire tool. Removing the auto safety actuating spring clip is straight forward, but takes firm finger grip and careful, methodical manoeuvring with care given not to touch / pull the trigger while the trigger group is out of the gun.

I love the styling of this gun and can't wait to bash some clays :drool:

Actually at the shop someone reported the trigger group falling off while shooting. However the gun might have been dropped, so it's not clear. Another reported the rip rattling when shooting, but again the gun might have been knocked. From what I heard Bellini was excellent and replaced the gun/rib.

Of course any story you hear will always overshadow the countless other who might /not/ have problems, as it's often the case...

Actually at the shop someone reported the trigger group falling off while shooting. However the gun might have been dropped, so it's not clear. Another reported the rip rattling when shooting, but again the gun might have been knocked. From what I heard Bellini was excellent and replaced the gun/rib.

Of course any story you hear will always overshadow the countless other who might /not/ have problems, as it's often the case...

Yes, probably the same source as that 'poor wood on Brownings' story.

The Auto safety is easy enough to remove yourself, just read the instructions on removing the trigger group. The photo attached (taken by another member off PW) shows the tool to remove the trigger group (like a pin with a coil spring on the end), the U shaped auto safety spring and the trigger group. The U shaped spring is all that needs to be removed and is simple to do.

I use 28g cartridges with mine though they are low in recoil ones, using low recoil 21g cartridges should not be a problem with recoil, not all 21 g carts are low on recoil and can kick more than some 24 / 28 g ones.

I bought mine for a couple of reasons, one because I have a bad back and my CG is a very heavy gun and is painful sometimes to use, mainly use my 525. Secondly traded in my s/a so if I take a lady with me it is far more suitable and easier to use than a s/a espec if new to shooting.

Only other thing I have done with mine is bought 1" extended mult ported chokes to make the barrels 29" closer to what I normally use of 30" and 32", from what others have said seeing the 828u in action with me is the ported chokes reduce the muzzle flip, not that I had a problem with it in the first place.

post-26115-0-17883700-1465984870_thumb.jpg

Edited by BerettaSV10

Today I viewed the 828U at Greenfields in Salisbury. While they have both bright and black action models I chose the latter model to view. My initial thoughts were wow that looks and feels nice. Out of the box, the comb required lowering. The finish and look is exceedingly nice and not as light as I thought it would be from all the reports. The chequering, which unlike conventional diamond form, is a type of 'fish scale' effect and not sharp and is very nice to the touch. Greenfields offer a try before buy system which is probably well worth it considering the cost...I just might do that.

I have been out to the Clay Ground this evening (light rain) but I enjoyed trying out my new Benelli. I used some 24 gr Hull InterComp and my regular 28 gr cartridges... I am really pleased with the handling and feel of this gun and in all honestly I forgot all about the recoil even with the 28gr. My shoulder is perfectly fine and this gun is no worse in regards to recoil than my (new model) Browning A5 125th anniversary, Mossberg 500 Mariner, Benelli M1 user 90 or Benelli M2 Practical....

I am erring on the side of caution before committing myself to the 828U. Yes, I really like the design and technology but there are a few things which need addressing. The LOP is a grey area. The specification states 365mm to 385mm but without additional butt pads or spacers in the box how does one alter it. Personally I would rather have 30" barrels so am waiting on a reply from GMK. Ohhh and GMK's web site is very poor on this product. You would think being the importer they would have had it sorted out by now.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a go of the 828U today at a have go stand at the worlds and shot a 25 bird compak type layout.

I don't mind the looks and although they seem to have invented solutions looking for problems I dont mind that really.

It seems very well put together and carrying it on a walked up day would be a pleasure, so all good until I put it in the shoulder.

Admittedly the cartridges were 28g of thoroughbred kicking donkey it would seem, but I could genuinely not shoot that gun for more than 25 shots of a clay load, let alone something a bit weightier for game.

I am a solid lump of a bloke and can soak up a bit of pounding, but holy moly!!!!

The gun comes with a couple of stock length options. My daughter needed the shorter stock for her fit. The gun she tried at the ground had a longer stock which made the mount more difficult. Might be the reason behind the LOP range?

According to GMK the gun is supplied with the mid LOP option, 375mm. They say 365mm and 385mm are further options. When I asked GMK how it's done they said,

If you are going to want to decrease the LOP I would suggest you inform your dealer when you order the gun, we will then fit the stock before the gun goes out at no extra cost. If you wish to increase the LOP you would need to purchase the longer pad from your dealer.

Looking at the guns manual the Progressive Comfort System housing (Item 5) appears to be the same for all lengths. It identifies two stock options, Standard 375-385mm and Medium 365mm (item 7-8). It also identified Recoil Pad Kit Medium (item 1) and Recoil Pad Short (item 3).

So I assume,

The standard stock fitted with a Recoil Pad Short to make it 375mm. (as supplied from the factory)

The standard stock fitted with Recoil Pad Kit Medium makes it 385mm. (dealer fits a Recoil Pad kit Medium*, called a kit cos it comes with long pad and two longer screws)

A medium stock, GMK supply only, fitted with a Recoil Pad Short makes a 365mm. (assume the medium stock is 10mm shorter than the standard stock)

*I believe the Recoil Pad Kit medium costs an additional £80. This all makes it rather restrictive if and when selling the gun on.

If I may add this, the Raffaello Powerbore semi-auto has 3 PCS options and goes down to 350mm which Benelli's web calls the Powerbore Compact.

Edited by B25Modelman

I had chance to put 30, 28g, Evo's through an 828 this morning and must say it kicked like a mule. The loaner gave me 2, 1oz, cartridges to compare and I have to say they were much more comfortable. While I could probably shoot a 100 or 120 comp using 28g, with breaks between each stand, shooting practice where there are few breaks would be painful. In comparison my new Raffaello Powerbore, which I put 130, 28g through, was a dream but it has further built in recoil reduction.