Benelli 828U O/U thoughts from owners?

jonthebrit

Does it kick any worse than the equivilent SxS?

I have not shot a sxs for 45 years so I would think much the same with one of the same, light, weight. The progressive pad did prevent shoulder marks which I do get from my solid plate guns.

Nice gun though the auto safety was a pain but it can be changed easily. I did not find the opening as easy as some report.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its interesting how different people perceive this gun..... I have shot boxes of 28gr cartridges through mine and it feels wonderful. No marks on my shoulder afterwards.

I shot it recently along with my new AYA side-by-side and the AYA's recoil was more noticeable, but still not an issue for me.

Its interesting how different people perceive this gun..... I have shot boxes of 28gr cartridges through mine and it feels wonderful. No marks on my shoulder afterwards.

I shot it recently along with my new AYA side-by-side and the AYA's recoil was more noticeable, but still not an issue for me.

I wonder if it was because just prior to using it I had put 130 cartridges through my Raffaello s/a. Maybe it's inertia system together with the Progressive Comfort pad brought out the apparent hardness of the 828U.

I have no doubt that my experience of the recoil of this gun will differ from others and i'm very happy that you have no reaction to the felt recoil from your gun.

My gun has such little recoil for me I don't notice it at all, but other guys have shot it and it shoves them all over the place. It is all very personal I guess.

looked at one at the clay ground on Wednesday, 32", swinging it about it did not feel light to me in comparison with my 725 black, 32", side by side, did not have a shot with it, but the owner said he had no trouble at all with recoil, not a bad piece of timber, did not think it was as good as my 725 though

looked at one at the clay ground on Wednesday, 32", swinging it about it did not feel light to me in comparison with my 725 black, 32", side by side, did not have a shot with it, but the owner said he had no trouble at all with recoil, not a bad piece of timber, did not think it was as good as my 725 though

32"...surely that was not an 828U.

Edited by B25Modelman

not well up on guns so I presumed it was, had a funny sliding breech thingy that locked the barrels, was really stiff to open and close, the owner told me it was 32", had no need to doubt him, but did not check or compare for length to mine, just like to heft other guns to see how they compare,

Edited by itchy trigger

not well up on guns so I presumed it was, had a funny sliding breech thingy that locked the barrels, was really stiff to open and close, the owner told me it was 32", had no need to doubt him, but did not check or compare for length to mine, just like to heft other guns to see how they compare,

It has only been available in 26" and 28" with a 30" due later this year.

• 10 months later...

I have an 828U. I use for clays and really like it. Unfortunately it had to go back to GMK due to the bottom ejector ejecting when the cartridge hat not been shot. It was due to a bit of plastic off the cases blocking the ejector impulse system. I do hope this isn't going to be a design flaw.I was looking a lightweight, pointable over and under for my pheasant shoot, which happens to contain a lot of woodlands rides where time on the bird is lin

I bought an 828U just over a year ago as I needed a lightweight, pointable O&U to use on my pheasant shoot which contains a lot of woodland drives and therefore you have little time to get on the birds and get a shot off. The 828U seemed ideal and I've been very happy with it (up to last week!), it's been great with game loads, including magnum steel loads on geese, right down to 28g on clays and the fact that you can adjust drop and cast is a great feature.

The gun however has develped a problem whereby the bottom barrel ejector has simply stopped working! I've fired less than a thousand rounds through the gun and the advice has been to return it via my dealer to GMK. There seems to be a growing number of bloggers/U Tube videos with the same issue relating to the perhaps over clever ejection mechanism getting clogged with plastic from the shell casing so regrettably it looks like a possible design flaw. For me a gun without working ejectors is simply not fit for purpose! I go on the occasional commercial shoot day and not being able to reload fast is a non starter.

An earlier blog mentions it should be easy to "deep clean" the mechanism which is not the case, whilst it might be easy to drop the trigger group out this has nothing to do with the ejector mechansim which is part of the barrels (and removing these is by no means an easy thing to achieve and I would suggest only suitable for the most practical person or a gun smith).

I'm hoping it is resolveable issue otherwise I won't be able to trust the gun for use for live game shooting! I'll update teh blog when I get it back from GMK.

Too many makers are doling out new guns that have not been fully tested and use the public to find the faults. They will no doubt make changes to future models to stop this ejector problem happening.

Never understand why makers have to complicate things with more moving parts than necessary.

Thanks for the time you took reporting on this @Dave. I've had the 828U in the radar for a year or so as well... I have to say I had a jam on the first try and I blamed the cartridge at the time. Still, the 'concept' is interesting, if they can manage to kink out the bugs...

• 9 months later...

I have had an 828U for nearly two years and mainly use it for clay shooting, I live in France so it’s called Ball-Trap here. I too had problems with the ejector system, it was ejecting cartridges that hadn’ Been fired, and took the gun back to the distributors in St. Etienne who we very helpful but soon after getting the gun back the problem started again. After poking around I found that the ports which operate the system were getting blocked with bits of plastic. I started using different cartridges and problem solved. Don’t use poor quality cartridges. I found that the ones that were causing me problems were significantly thinner in the wall of the plastic case. 

I want to shorten, only by perhaps a quarter of an inch, my stock and thought that a thinner recoil pad might solve my problem. The stock isn’t suggested buying a new pad and trying to cut some off the thickness. A bit of butchery really. Anyone know where I can get recoil pads that will fit my 828U?

This is a great little gun and so light. I don’t get any recoil marks. Last year I won many bottles of booze in the local ‘open’ Ball trap competitions. I only have 28” barrels and have tried Beretta extended chokes that do fit but seemed to alter the pattern so badly that I had to stop using them. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

great little gun

Brilliant shotgun ..very light...even the farmers grandkid has no problem shooting it with 24 gram cartridge..very easy to strip and clean i have only used game bore fibre in mine and have never had a problem with the gun ejectors..very versatile being adjustable with the shimkit

• 2 years later...

I love the gun and the weight of my 928u black. Or did up until a few weeks ago, while shooting a few rounds of skeet, the trigger plate fell out while ejecting sheets. I had never had this removed from the factory. I removed the trigger and cleaned it well and reinstalled it. Shooting today after a few rounds, it started doing it every time after firing. I haven’t had a chance to get hold of Benelli but I’ll be curious what they say and do about it. Kind of wished I’d stuck with another Browning now.