Boughton on water Ferreting

Pregnant Does can be reluctant to bolt, which can entail a lot of digging if they box themselves in and ferrets refuse to leave them; Jills are in season so some owners may be reluctant to work them; hungry ferrets can kill and then eat a nest of kittens below ground and then decide to curl up for a nap, resulting in more digging. It can still be done of course, any time of year if needs be; the snags with mid summer are the amount of undergrowth to contend with and the danger of ferrets overheating, which can be fatal.

Personally it just seems a lot of bother when compared to ferreting in the winter months.

My favourite times are from around December and into late February when it's still cold and all the undergrowth has collapsed and died back, and rabbits will be more apt to bolt as they have no young to nurture, but of course rabbits can get themselves boxed in any time of year.

Edited by Scully

Thanks Gents,

Just for clarity, it's not me that wants the ferrets, it's the farmer. The piece of land in question is apparently very close to public footpaths and is sensitive to "The Public Eye" so the farmer has asked me if I know anybody with ferrets? I have offered to go with PCP but I don't think even this solution is potable....trust me, I'm gutted as would have loved to shoot it.....

ATB

Lloydi

Pregnant Does can be reluctant to bolt, which can entail a lot of digging if they box themselves in and ferrets refuse to leave them; Jills are in season so some owners may be reluctant to work them; hungry ferrets can kill and then eat a nest of kittens below ground and then decide to curl up for a nap, resulting in more digging. It can still be done of course, any time of year if needs be; the snags with mid summer are the amount of undergrowth to contend with and the danger of ferrets overheating, which can be fatal.

Personally it just seems a lot of bother when compared to ferreting in the winter months.

My favourite times are from around December and into late February when it's still cold and all the undergrowth has collapsed and died back, and rabbits will be more apt to bolt as they have no young to nurture, but of course rabbits can get themselves boxed in any time of year.

thank you for that ,i just learnt something.

yep nightmare ferreting in breeding season .

me and a mate had a look out about 5 weeks ago and spent most of the time digging the flaming things out.

done 3 sets and 3 digs all down to nests with young in them .

that aside I,ve been to "Bourton on the Water" a couple of times all be it few years back now and what a stunning place

Edited by hodge911

• 10 months later...

hello scully, is it to late now for ferreting as i have been asked to clear some land in abingdon which cannot be shot on for public safety

You can spend the best part of a day digging to ferrets for a couple of rabbits. Nursery chambers are usually block ends and the does just wedge their backsides towards the ferret. It can be done, the professionals do it throughout the year, but not my idea of fun. I put the ferrets away at the end of February. You may be better considering a night longnetting session.

Edited by Mochastorm

You can spend the best part of a day digging to ferrets for a couple of rabbits. Nursery chambers are usually block ends and the does just wedge their backsides towards the ferret. It can be done, the professionals do it throughout the year, but not my idea of fun. I put the ferrets away at the end of February. You may be better consider a night longnetting session.

thanks for your advice :good:

Seeing lots of tiny rabbits zipping across our lanes up here in Leicestershire, so down south they will be well on the breeding cycle.

My plan would be a pop up blind overlooking a set of holes and a good air rifle or if safe 22RF with mod. Comfy seat and a rifle rest.

Just needs time and patience. Pity your so far away, I would offer my services free of charge :-) Have pop up will travel :-)

Seeing lots of tiny rabbits zipping across our lanes up here in Leicestershire, so down south they will be well on the breeding cycle.

My plan would be a pop up blind overlooking a set of holes and a good air rifle or if safe 22RF with mod. Comfy seat and a rifle rest.

Just needs time and patience. Pity your so far away, I would offer my services free of charge :-) Have pop up will travel :-)

hello, the land i mention cannot be shot over day and night due to 2 roads and footpath aside of area used often,

Haaah!! Didn't realise that. Silly me!! Your therefore stuck with long netting in the spring/summer months and then hard on the ferrets in the winter. Are we still allowed to snare rabbits? Or has than been banned as well? As a kid back in the late 40s and 50s, Friday night was snare night. Helping my Grandfather set about 50 snares before dark and then go out a couple of hours after dark and collect them up. My job to carry the spoils on a long ash staff. These would go out on the milk delivery van next morning to order.

Yep, snaring rabbits is probably a lost art.