Tree hide?

HunterFarmer

Last year I was invited to shoot pigeons over some pea fields, on inspection I found a deer shooters high seat on the edge of the field and just hidden in the edge of a wood, I set out some decoys on the freshly drilled peas and took up a very comfortable position high above them in the tree top, sadly it was not so successful, I found the change in angle difficult to adapt to shooting down onto birds as they came in below me to the pattern, a few birds made for the trees around me and those I managed with much more ease,

It was the one and only time I used the seat, after this I stayed at ground level with a normal hide which proved much more productive.

The other drawback was having to climb down the ladder every time I needed to pick up birds or change the pattern, then climb back up to return to the hide, no problem for you youngsters but at 68 the knees and back soon start complaining. :lol::lol:

This is an interesting project and one I have been thinking about for a while, we have a small wood on the farm but mature oak, hornbeam and ash which are reaching for the sky. I have often watched the birds curling around before diving into the trees and thought it would be great to be at height and shooting. There is a you tube of guys shooting out of a really high tower in a wood and it looks great and something a little different.

I have studied the trees in our wood and even the highest ones are pretty thin up top, I can still just about climb with my saw so pruning out isn't a problem but: the height you would need to be at is a bit short of where you can get in the tree safely if you were to build a hide, this means that a telegraph pole high tower would be required, consider the height of the trees and the then the height of poles needed and you would still be a bit short of tree top.

Its a great idea and if you have a lower canopy wood on new forestry or woodland planting then it could work, if you are successful please share your results I am sure it would be great fun, I quite like the idea of prussiking up 30m into a hide to shoot and then abseiling out after with your kit on your back, make for some interesting evenings rather than sat under a tree craning your neck!!