Best gun for the wife

bullet1747

A 7lb 12 gauge with 21g or 24g will allow most flexibility.

Be aware due to differences in female biology and build she may require a stock cut out to allow comfortable fit against shoulder and collar bone, so keep in mind extra cost or get something with a deep recoil pad so you are only cutting rubber and can be replaced if you sell the gun on.

My Mrs started with a Hatsan youth 20g semi, briefly tried a 7lb U/O but couldn't get on with it, went up to a Maxus 12g semi with 26" barrels and now shoots a Maxus 12g semi with 28" barrels.

She's 5ft 2" and 8 stone also. She can manage the weight fine as long as she doesn't have to hold the gun up for ages.

Good luck :-)

I can think of lots of women who shoot happily with a 12, certainly far more than those using a 20. Sian is a member here who shoots a 12g SP-1 and if she doesn't see this it might be worth dropping her a PM. Failing that why not take your wife somewhere to handle a few guns.

In my experience, choosing things for women without consulting them fully doesn't usually work out well.

My wife has had more guns than me! I tried various different 12b, including an auto because everyone told me either a 20b would not be enough gun or it would have too much recoil.

I eventually bought her a silver pigeon 20b and its the best thing I ever did. She absolutely loves it to bits (more than me). She uses 24g on clays and regularly beats the other blokes in our squad. She uses RC sipe 28g on game and she never seems to notice the extra recoil due to the excitement.

It is a bit of a double edge sword though. On the upside she now enjoys shooting so much we are going at least once a week if not twice (we went to two different grounds on Wednesday), on the downside I have had to sell a kidney to pay for all her cartridges and extra clays.

Can she shoot a 12b? Absolutely!! Does she enjoy shooting her 20b more? Without a doubt.

Bet your wife does backflips and gives you a big grin when you say your taking her to handle as many guns as she can to find one she likes and fits her well :lol:

I think for smaller women a 12g lightweight semi auto is the best gun. Next to no recoil the stock can be shimmed to suit them they can fire a bigger range of 12 gauge carts without being kicked around and the single barrel keeps the weight further back for them.

I can't understand why we men patronise women by assuming they're frail, weak and unable to handle recoil. I do quite a lot of reffing at registered sporting shoots and see probably at least a dozen women competing over the course of an average month. I can only think of 2 who have a recoil reducer, 1 who shoots a semi and none at all shooting a 20g.

As before, I've shot with or reffed many women over the years and I'm certain that with some practice & familiarity, virtually any normally fit woman can handle a standard 12 comfortably. Just ask Sian, she's not at all a big lady but frequently competes at 2 registered shoots with her 12g SP-1 on a typical Sunday.

Does SHE actually want to go clay shooting, or do you think that she might. I've seen quite a few people go out and get all kitted out only to sell it all off at a big loss cos the woman had no interest in going shooting in the first place. There is no reason why a woman can't compete and beat men on even terms with a gun but a lot just have no interest in shooting at all.

I can't understand why we men patronise women by assuming they're frail, weak and unable to handle recoil. I do quite a lot of reffing at registered sporting shoots and see probably at least a dozen women competing over the course of an average month. I can only think of 2 who have a recoil reducer, 1 who shoots a semi and none at all shooting a 20g.

As before, I've shot with or reffed many women over the years and I'm certain that with some practice & familiarity, virtually any normally fit woman can handle a standard 12 comfortably. Just ask Sian, she's not at all a big lady but frequently competes at 2 registered shoots with her 12g SP-1 on a typical Sunday.

I've read all the posts on this topic not one has been patronising

It's just facts I'm 6'4'and 17 stone

My wife is 5'2" and 8 stone

She can't pick things up that I can with ease I can't fit places she can

These are facts not prejudices

I find when coaching a complete novice ( lady ) the weight of the gun is more of a problem than the recoil. I would start with a 20 bore and if she is a keen shot and enjoys the hobby a movement to 12 bore , in the future should not be a problem. I often coach couples and invariably the lady will choose to shoot a 20 , in preference to a 12 based purely on weight alone.

I have seen a big increase in the popularity of the smaller bores over the years with a 28b being quite "in fashion" on a few of my local game shoots. One of the blokes who we shoot clays with is 20 stone and 6'2" and uses a stunning caesar guerini 20b to very good effect. It's strange how when a bloke uses a smaller bore it is not met with the same cynicism as when a woman chooses a 20b for whatever reason.

Was going to buy a new gun today for my 50th yesterday , had a chat and fancy taking the wife clay pigeon shooting , to get her into shooting hopefully the kids will fall into place , think 12 gauge is a bit to much for her , is 20 gauge the way to go

Just re-read your post. Are you thinking of sharing gun? If so, given your differences in build, it's unlikely to work.

I've read all the posts on this topic not one has been patronising

It's just facts I'm 6'4'and 17 stone

My wife is 5'2" and 8 stone

She can't pick things up that I can with ease I can't fit places she can

These are facts not prejudices

Thanks I agree not one has patronised any female , I just don't want her to be put off looking forward to taking her even daughter wants to go now

It's nothing to do with prejudices
verb: patronise
treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.
"‘She's a good-hearted girl,’ he said in a patronizing voice"

Would you choose your wife's hair straighteners or her handbag? It is patronising to say "think 12 gauge is a bit much for her" without taking the trouble to find out for sure. Probably untintentional and meant with the best of motives but it's still patronising.

Was going to buy a new gun today for my 50th yesterday , had a chat and fancy taking the wife clay pigeon shooting , to get her into shooting hopefully the kids will fall into place , think 12 gauge is a bit to much for her , is 20 gauge the way to go

how about a lesson with a coach and try different ones in the lessons

It's nothing to do with prejudices

verb: patronise

treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.

"‘She's a good-hearted girl,’ he said in a patronizing voice"

Would you choose your wife's hair straighteners or her handbag? It is patronising to say "think 12 gauge is a bit much for her" without taking the trouble to find out for sure. Probably untintentional and meant with the best of motives but it's still patronising.

This isn't an argument post please keep it nice , I'm trying to find out wots best for the misses