Anyone own/run a chippy?

stuey

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Location location location!!

Also think it'll have an "off season" as there's lots in the seaside town I'm from, owners I know of one saying how quiet it's been this winter, really bad apparently!

Ontop of that make sure the food is actually good!

Diversity is key, when in a place like that! Also dream up some unique recipes for flavoured batters, selling more than fish chips pies and sausages helps too! I am not talking kebab and pizza though! If into game shooting etc! You could offer venison 1/4 pounders! Or game pies, pigeon and bacon baps etc!

There was a run down local chippy which the owner got evicted from so my neighbour took over. She's from the West Country and is a big fan of 'proper' fish and chips, and her husband is from Turkey so likes his kebabs but is an ex footballer and keeps healthy.

The result was a chipshop called 'Oh My Cod' which has queues a lot, as well as it's always busy.

What they did was offer a variety of stuff, really nice fish and chips, but also you can get kebabs (they make their own chicken doner which is actually really good).

This is just helpful because sometimes the wife fancies a fish and chips but I fancy a kebab so you can get both... more variety, the better

There is a chippy in my home town which used to be co-owned by a Greek Cypriot and a Turkish Cypriot (I know...).

They were absolute masters at frying. I've never had chips like it before or since, and the fish was always stunning quality with a batter which was crisp, light and never greasy.

In the end they sold up and it was taken over by an Indian guy - they did the shop up as it looked pretty shoddy, but the quality went through the floor. Flabby, greasy chips and stodgy batter on poor quality fish. The place went from queues out the door and round the corner to being absolutely deserted overnight. Bad fish and chips is a miserable experience, where as when it is done well, like all classic British food made well with excellent ingredients, is an absolute treat.

There is a semi-happy ending - the Greek Cypriot chap has bought it back and it is being run pretty well by some Kurdish folks. The chips vary a bit but the fish is always very good. I'm hoping the owner might get a bit more involved and coach them a bit more.

Anyway, my family were good friends with the original owners, and they told us it is in the quality of the potato (at home I use Agria when I can get them - incredible bakers and roasters too), the fat used in frying (I think they used beef dripping) and in the batter recipe. The rest is down to experience, but if you use good ingredients you are halfway there.

Thanks by the way for making me crave fish and chips for tea...

One for sale down this way. To be honest the photos are rubbish it is a lot nicer than they make it look in a very nice part of Truro.

http://images.portalimages.com/4292/23710345/brochure/s1/635991659532071077/0a0775704ca13281e86a39e1ce2ad1a3b7fe60e0.pdf

Wow........£40k a year in rent,

That's nigh on £770 a week in rent, before open the door or turn a light or fryer on......

Expensive place to rent a shop

Still...... they made over £30k a year profit, after wages etc......must be a good one

:shaun:

If you have the one horse chippy in a one horse town then it's a licence to print cash money.

The predominant crop on the farm I shoot is potatoes for chips - they exported their entire crop to Tenerife. Thinking it through, buy your spuds direct from a farm.

Also my local chippy had a run on 'if we don't offer you a curry sauce or mushy peas (£1 each)" then you get it for nothing. I think it worked out as a great wheeze for them and they managed to get an extra £1 or £2 off every customer that walked through the door.

As has been said, you need to focus on location, not working with a partner and watching out on tax - you will get an investigation in a classic cash / laundering business such as that so cut your cloth accordingly.

Bad fish and chips is a miserable experience...

This. This, this, this.

That wobbly under-cooked bit of batter clinging to a crummy bit of fish :no:

Under-cooked chips, or inferior potatoes :no:

Whereas good fish & chips is a thing of glory. Thick, juicy fish in light, puffy batter and flavoursome, fluffy chips :good:

To the OP - no pressure, mate, but you've got an enormous duty to your customers :lol:

LS

Think the problem with most chippy's today is they buy small young cod with small flakes and very little taste, not like the fish sold in the 60s 70s when the fish were mature fish with large white flakes and a strong flavour.

Just to add a point on the taste of cod today, I know three people who own chippy's and I was told that most chippy's use MSG to enhance the flavour of these small immature fish.

Edited by old'un

Use beef dripping rather than the usual rubbish vegetable oil. Far healthier at cooking temperatures. You will stand out from the others producing tasteless fish and chips.

We travel to Yorkshire, most weeks, for proper fish and chips. You can't get any decent ones our side of the Pennines.

There is nothing decent on your side of the Pennines :whistling:

I was in a 'posh' resturant recently offering 'triple cooked' chips at a premium price. So basically chips reheated twice. They were dire.

If done correctly, they are marvellous! I find twice is enough! Drop them in hot oil and leave for about a minute! Lift them out but leave the basket over the oil to keep the chips hot! When the oil is back up to temp, dunk me again!

Done right! The shell is crisp, and the inside still fluffy and moist :yes:

Unfortunately you need to eat them as soon as they are cooked, you can't keep them warm without them going soft :no: that's why so many chip shops just do the normal chips! I know a few who use frozen chips now!

Think the problem with most chippy's today is they buy small young cod with small flakes and very little taste, not like the fish sold in the 60s 70s when the fish were mature fish with large white flakes and a strong flavour.

Just to add a point on the taste of cod today, I know three people who own chippy's and I was told that most chippy's use MSG to enhance the flavour of these small immature fish.

Interesting point, Ive come to the conclusion that some fish benefit from not being "fresh from the sea" and need a little time in the fridge to become full flavour ( perhaps we should hang our fish ! )

I worked for a while on deep sea trawlers in the 70s doing two week trips, whilst Icelandic trawlers did a month, all fish that were landed being packed with ice, so those old Cod you enjoyed could be best part of a month old before they even reached the chippy :hmm: