Lithium Battery

Hi gents, I borrowed a friends magnet this weekend and the battery weighed a ton! I have a bit of a walk to where I shoot and found everything in the bag was just too heavy.

Have people found any decent lithium batteries that will power a magnet for 6+ hours?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

You don't need a Lithium battery. A 12v 7Amp/hr will last you far more than 6 hours.

I've one of these as supplied by UK Shootwarehouse. It is still a heavy lump to carry across two or three fields when you're over three score years and ten! So, I too would be interested in lighter options.

The point I'm trying to make is I need a lighter option that a standard battery i.e. Lithium battery as an option but need it to perform for at least 6 hours.

Cheers,

Jim

I take on board what your are saying. The battery I mentioned weighs 4lb or less than 2 kg. To me, it's not heavy and works well. I've used this battery for lamping with a 100 watt lamp, and it's lasts a couple of hours (switching it on and off) so will last a lot longer with your magnet.

Guest stevo

i use a Tracer 12V 14Ah Lithium Polymer Battery Pack with a pinewood magnet , when fully charged I can get 2.5 to nearly 3 full days before recharge is needed

weight is 950 grams

Dimensions (mm)

161 x 115 x 56

i use a Tracer 12V 14Ah Lithium Polymer Battery Pack with a pinewood magnet , when fully charged I can get 2.5 to nearly 3 full days before recharge is needed

weight is 950 grams

Dimensions (mm)

161 x 115 x 56

+1

I believe some of the Pinewood kit runs at 1 amp but my Shoot Warehouse version pulls a good 2 so you're talking circa 14 hours for the one and 7 for t'other.

weight is 950 grams

Dimensions (mm)

161 x 115 x 56

I just checked the price of these. Jeeepers!! I guesse I'd better keep eating the Weetabix and lugging my brick around. Prices ranged from £153 - £180. Too steep for me.

I just checked the price of these. Jeeepers!! I guesse I'd better keep eating the Weetabix and lugging my brick around. Prices ranged from £153 - £180. Too steep for me.

This is the average price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuasa-NP7-12-lead-acid-battery/dp/B000V3QT42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461602273&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+7amp+battery

You don't need a Lithium battery. A 12v 7Amp/hr will last you far more than 6 hours.

Some of the high end magnets draw less current. Most magnets draw between 2 and 3 amps so will last from just over 2hrs to just over 3hrs on a 7amp battery

Looks like I'll have to agree with this statement! £150 plus is just too much money just to make my life a little easier!

Thanks for the comments.

Jim

Guest stevo

its the same as I use just the next size down , I agree there too much money for just powering a magnet now and then , mine gets used three times a week , also for powering my handheld lamps when walking fields at night , so for me its a win win , when I have it on my belt you don't even notice it .

its the same as I use just the next size down , I agree there too much money for just powering a magnet now and then , mine gets used three times a week , also for powering my handheld lamps when walking fields at night , so for me its a win win , when I have it on my belt you don't even notice it .

+1 again

Thanks, so how long would this run a standard magnet?

Cheers,

Jim

Guest stevo

Thanks, so how long would this run a standard magnet?

Cheers,

Jim

I have one of the cheaper magnets from a well know ware house we all know , and my one the next size up the 14 amp one will powr it for a good 9 hrs maybe more , I cant really answer the max time as I have never tried it , but like I said will power my pinewood for two and a half full days .

have a look at the power draw of your motor and so clever sod on here will gladly work it out for you mucker .

I use Clutlite versions of that on gas bangers and electric fencers when mains practable, about £14 plus £17 ish for the charger, seem a good solid battery, after a few years I found the connections break off ( always seems the positive ) but drilled a screw into it with a new connector wired fast and got them working again.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...