yesterday on the peas 101

Ira

I had the best session of my short pigeon shooting career so far yesterday, shooting over freshly drilled peas, we ended up picking up 94 with a few more, the dog much to her annoyance, was unable to retrieve. A mixed day with sunshine and a few showers but lovely in the sun when it shone. We decided we should call it our first 100 bird day, not sure if that works as we picked up 94.

The birds were a bit off and on but the bag grew nicely through the day, had some larger flocks come in which confused the shooting but also had some cracking shots, long ones, short ones quick ones and a handful of left and rights, which are always nice. Ny dog, now three and my first, worked brilliantly all day, a little hesitant to the back command on clipped birds that dropped 200yards out, thats my own lack of commitment to training to be honest, other than that she worked bloody well. taking direction from the hide as she got confused with a lot of birds out as deeks but she listened and worked intelligently.

I believe shooting a few Sunday mornings at the local clay ground has helped with the shooting although we both had some sketchy moments that left us wondering what we were shooting at before we would settle down and then get back in the zone and drop them really well.

Heres to the peas I'm sure there will be a few more days as the fields green up with those lovely legumes.

Sounds like a great day and the dog worked well, I only count the ones in the picture.

Is there and easy way to put pics from the iPhone on here, I tried and the files are always too large, gotta be an easy way?!

Edited by Ira

Thanks all, I admit I would rather have picked up 101 but sometimes you can't pick em all. Another added bonus is that I was using my relatively new A400 extreme, maybe a bit overkill but it worked well all day with 30g 6's not one glitch, it was its first real outing as I have been using my old o/u on clays and sort of fell back in with it. So I was over the moon to be using the new gun to good effect, got the long barrels on it so it takes a bit more poking over the net but it did the job at the end of the day.

Got another day out on Saturday weather permitting and they are drilling peas up at work, had ten acres put in yesterday but they haven't found them yet, probably only another eight acres to drill. Its a first in the eight years Ive been there to have peas so Im getting itchy to see the birds coming on em. Last year wasn't too good on the pigeons and drew quite a few blanks waiting for nothing to happen so its great to be on em this year, long may it last!

I have three fields of peas on one permission. They were drilled about 4 weeks ago and have emerged now. Pigeons had just started to find them about 4 days after drilling and I had an afternoon on them, only shot about 15 as not many returned, and saw others were still on the rape. Went back a few days later and a gas gun was out on every field. The farmer had transferred the guns straight from the rape fields....maybe saved himself some time and effort but spoilt my chances of a good day ..... frustrating to see others getting ton bags on drilled peas!

But well done you....have to take the opportunities as you get them.

Last week I was asked to shoot over some barley. The fields were the smallest I have ever seen planted. Maybe one to one and a half acres picking the birds was a nightmare. Anything traveling at speed had a good chance of coming down the other side of a hedge. Fortunately I did not shoot that many.

If I see it fold it's one on the counter.