Young People and Car Insurance.

Fuji Shooter

• 2 weeks later...

For Christ's sake don't let an 18 year old drive a civic type R. I would have killed myself if I had something that fast at that age! Hahaha

He has been driving since he was 12 and has had a couple of seasons in a works Ginetta so I think he can handle himself.

As a former insurance underwriter I can assure you the accident rate and cost of young lads is such most insurers would rather not touch them! Young lasses are considerably better but some EURO (Belgium.) *** decided this was discrimination so all pay same rate now. The safest risk is the 65yo male living in rural Norfolk and the 18 yo lad living in a city area is about 100 times (& the rest) more likely to have a serious crash. Dont buy him a Type R and don't let him out at night. Also don't let him out with his mates on board - this worsens risk exponentially! In my old life we petitioned Government to increase licensing age and limit power. Also a curfew was suggested - yes they really are that bad and insurers make no money out of them. The rest of us subsidise them. Black box monitoring is excellent ie how they drive and where and when they drive - go for one of those companies who have such a product but for gods sake buy him a Micra not a Type R.

As a former insurance underwriter I can assure you the accident rate and cost of young lads is such most insurers would rather not touch them! Young lasses are considerably better but some EURO (Belgium.) *** decided this was discrimination so all pay same rate now. The safest risk is the 65yo male living in rural Norfolk and the 18 yo lad living in a city area is about 100 times (& the rest) more likely to have a serious crash. Dont buy him a Type R and don't let him out at night. Also don't let him out with his mates on board - this worsens risk exponentially! In my old life we petitioned Government to increase licensing age and limit power. Also a curfew was suggested - yes they really are that bad and insurers make no money out of them. The rest of us subsidise them. Black box monitoring is excellent ie how they drive and where and when they drive - go for one of those companies who have such a product but for gods sake buy him a Micra not a Type R.

You are assuming that he is a typical 18 year old which he is not. Sure there are a lot of 17 and 18 year olds out there who do drive like idiots. As I said he has been driving since the age of 12 and competing in motorsport in the Ginetta Junior Series. He has driven around all of the tracks in the UK including Silverstone and has spent even more time on skid pans perfecting handling skills. He passed his test 2 days after his 17th birthday and then past is IAM test a month later. He probably knows more a cars handling limits than someone who has been driving for most of their life. He did have a black box in his Jag and he scores all 10s most days the only time it varies is when he drives out of their favourable hours which his difficult when you are a musician.

He has a responsible job and earns good money, he is buying the car and insuring it in his own name so he can buy what he wants. He is a sensible driver who I trust will respect other motorists.

• 2 weeks later...

Just talking to a mate of mine. He's got a Clio cup and pays £3000 a year to insure it!! He's 20 so not a 17 year old but still pays that.I said he must be mad.

I find it funny that the lad wants a type r but is going to drive it like a granddad! Yeah right!!

A bit like me pootling about in my 1.9 gti at 18!! It wasn't done, it was thrashed every night and everywhere!.