Thumbhole 223

K Mac

Hi all

I'm looking to get a new 223 for foxes and hoodies.

Im looking for one with a thumb hole stock a free floating barrel and a box magazine. The only ones I can find that I like are from Savage Arms or browning.

I like Savage I have two rimfires from Savage good and accurate would be happy with another but is there anything else out there worth considering.

What thumbhole rifles have you got and would you spend money on another one?

Not to keen on CZ or Howa just don't like the look of them.

Cheers

K Mac

funny that discounting two of the most accurate guns out the box for not alot of cash ,ive a howa thumbhole laminate also and its accounted for alot of foxes ,mine came with box mag conversion and 5 and 10 shot mags, and i would deffo buy another

Edited by remmy1100

We all have bought things because they were cheeper and lived too regret it. As we preferred one of the more expensive ones. Looks has a lot to do with anything we buy.

If I bye one I like the look of one less excuse for missing isn't it.

Edited by K Mac

Are thumbholes not just a pain to use?

Always really fancied one and almost bought 1 2nd hand from net few years ago, but if safety is mounted in the usual place (back of action somewhere) do u not have to move/fidget ur thumb out of the 'hole' to flip it off and back to take ur grip?

Look great (esp some of the nice laminate versions) and comfy but all the movement seemed to defeat the purpose of them for a stalking/vermin rifle.

Or am i missing something? (Must admit never actually handled 1 even at game fairs, always mean to but forget)

Always really fancied one and almost bought 1 2nd hand from net few years ago, but if safety is mounted in the usual place (back of action somewhere) do u not have to move/fidget ur thumb out of the 'hole' to flip it off and back to take ur grip?

Look great (esp some of the nice laminate versions) and comfy but all the movement seemed to defeat the purpose of them for a stalking/vermin rifle.

Or am i missing something? (Must admit never actually handled 1 even at game fairs, always mean to but forget)

I understand what you mean about the thumb hole however I have one and wouldn't go back, just get a better grip and I personally can hold the rifle more stable because of it 👍

Scotslad using the safety is no problem it becomes natural you don't even have to think about it after a while.

Welshwarrior will have a look on the net.

It's a real pain gun hunting have to do it all on the net gunshops just can't hold a big enough selection for the off chance someone might buy it.

Scotslad using the safety is no problem it becomes natural you don't even have to think about it after a while.

Welshwarrior will have a look on the net.

It's a real pain gun hunting have to do it all on the net gunshops just can't hold a big enough selection for the off chance someone might buy it.

If your near me your welcome to come and have a look at the ones I make got 2 demonstrators here.

I find thumbhole stocks a lot more comfortable to use and now have 3 (Howa 1500, Anschutz 1517 and a Browning X Bolt Hunter Eclipse).

At the end of the day the best gun for anybody is the one that they like. A mate of mine has a custom 6mm PPC and he loves it. He shoots really well with it. I on the other hand cant shoot well with it and I cant stand the thing even though it is 5 times the cost of my rifles. I also agree that looks plays a part and this may have more of a bearing for some then others. I like the look of the Howa but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Very nice what is it ?

It's a bitzer :lol:

CZ527 short Mauser action fitted with a Lothar Walther 26 inch 1/8 twist fully floated LW50 stainless match barrel (painted) and Boyds thumbhole stock. Devcon bedded. Still working up loads for it.

Edited by Savhmr