refilling CO2

hellier0437

ive just had the idea of a was to refill by QB78 rifle. In principal, would it work if i got hold of some dry ice (solid CO2), weighed out 24grams of it and put it in where the CO2 bulb goes. then, with the cap screwed back on, let it warm up like the normal CO2 in a bulb and hey presto? just wondering....

thanks

why, solid CO2 will sublime ( ie turn from solid to gas) below a certain pressure. this pressure will be the same for any application. as a CO2 bulb will contain solid (or liquid) CO2, the CO2 will sublime untill the pressure is sufficient to prevent furhter sublimation. whether the CO2 is inside a bulb or not will make no difference to the opperating pressure of the cylinder in which the bulbs are held. this is true as the bulbs themselves, when in the rifle, do not themselves contain any pressure as they are simply punctured by a spike on the end cap and no airtigt seal is made. i therefore see no way in which higher pressures could be reached and any conected dangers caused.

am i not correct?

ive just had the idea of a was to refill by QB78 rifle. In principal, would it work if i got hold of some dry ice (solid CO2), weighed out 24grams of it and put it in where the CO2 bulb goes. then, with the cap screwed back on, let it warm up like the normal CO2 in a bulb and hey presto? just wondering....

thanks

god another bang coming up? :good:

thanks

god another bang coming up? :good:

why?

A major part of my companies business is filling CO2 cylinders, several thousand each week.

In the interest of safety, could we please forget any notions of re filling the capsules described. I dont have the time to go into why not, sorry.

webber

I think your time could be much better spent looking for some of those rechargable powerlets that were available some time ago. They just screw on a stirrup pump or bottle and charge with air. They give about 30 shots per fill and once bought, are free (with a pump) to run for several thousand shots at least. Don't risk something like the dry ice idea for the sake of a few pence. Just the fact you had to ask makes it clear you don't know exactly what you're talking about, although the idea makes sense. I'm not being rude, I just don't want to hear of you (maybe) getting hurt :good:

If I understood the original post correctly, you were proposing pressurising the chamber which holds the Co2 sparklet rather than a used sparklet itself.

Have you considered that the chamber where the sparklet is inserted is not pressure tested or built to take pressure - the Co2 pressure is held in the sparklet and fed to the valve.

The scheme sounds very dangerous.

Have you considered

The answer is probably no, to whatever you add to that statement.

He has asked if it is sensible. A few people in the know have said it is not a good idea, but I think he is going to do it regardless because he keeps going on about it.

I say let him try it and find out for himself. He can prove us wrong.

thanks

Come on now fess up, your not a scientist are you :unsure:

I think that snakebites origional comment is very apt. If you really knew what you were playing with you really wouldnt risk it.

It sounds like you are going to try anyway, so can I please request that you video the whole episode. I will be able to use the footage for training purposes, and we can all have a good laugh and wonder how you will pick your nose in the future.

webber

If I understood the original post correctly, you were proposing pressurising the chamber which holds the Co2 sparklet rather than a used sparklet itself.

Have you considered that the chamber where the sparklet is inserted is not pressure tested or built to take pressure - the Co2 pressure is held in the sparklet and fed to the valve.

The scheme sounds very dangerous.

in fact, the cylinder does already take the pressure of the CO2. if one looks at the cylinder of a QB78, two capsules fit inside it 'back to back' that important bit is that the forward capsual faces forward and is pierced by a spike on the end cap when the cap is screwed on. This releases the CO2 from the capsual into the cylinder. i would therefore think that the cylinder has already been tested and designed to hold pressure. this fact is reinforced by the fact that there is no way for the CO2 from the forward capsual to reach the action of the rifle without travelling through the cylinder. Also, when charged up, when the rifle is shaken, the capsuals can be heard to rattle, i find it hard to believe that there is an airtight seal for each cartridge.

you are correct that i am not really a scientist as I am still in the sixth form! i do however intend to go on to study natural sciences or engineering at cambridge and have a-levels in all science subjects.

My idea was not to refill the capsuals themselves but just to put the equivalent mass of solid CO2 in te cylinder itself as there is in the capsuals.

the only apparent danger to me is the risk that the pressure in the cylinder might exceed that which is exerted on it by the pressure of the CO2 currently filling it. I feel that i have explained why i think that this will not happen. i would be gratefull if someone could give a solid scientific arguement to the contrary.

i am not going to 'do this anyway' and was only asking for opinions on whether the idea would work.

I think the idea could (probably would) work, but without having the correct safety screens and test kit I wouldn't like to try it as a home experiment. When I was your age I had some mad (but fun) ideas. I ended up with a record and it was more luck than judgement that nobody was hurt (or even killed). I've learned from experience that these things are best left well alone in practice, but in theory your idea is a fair one :unsure:

I think the idea could (probably would) work, but without having the correct safety screens and test kit I wouldn't like to try it as a home experiment. When I was your age I had some mad (but fun) ideas. I ended up with a record and it was more luck than judgement that nobody was hurt (or even killed). I've learned from experience that these things are best left well alone in practice, but in theory your idea is a fair one :unsure:

Silly idea's like using a drainpipe and a firework as a bazoka, I remember that when I was little! Just as well I never tried it as the drainpipe I would have probably used had a nail placed straight through the middle!