What do you treat your leather boots with?

malkiserow

What do you use?

I find I have a few products kicking around but never sure which is the best

I've some:

Dales Dubbin but some say this is not to good

Graingers G wax

Gliptone liquid Leather - I do like this one

Neatsfoot oil

Gunstock bees wax

Normal shoe polish

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use snow seal a fair bit and have also used neatsfoot oil. The neatsfoot is great for keeping leather supple and stopping it cracking. Snow seal is good for waterproofing. But I only use these on plain leather boots. On my leather and goretex boots I use nikwax as a lot of the others can affect the breathability of the membrane.

Leather genie or renapur.

The leather genie contains jojoba oil to stop mould and stops the stitching from rotting.

I also have a couple of tins of the natural ledergris stuff altberg sell.

Edited by figgy

I used to use snow seal a fair bit and have also used neatsfoot oil. The neatsfoot is great for keeping leather supple and stopping it cracking. Snow seal is good for waterproofing. But I only use these on plain leather boots. On my leather and goretex boots I use nikwax as a lot of the others can affect the breathability of the membrane.

Does normal boot polish affect goretex linings ? .

But neatsfoot oil smells like a halibut's ring piece. I use a third beeswax and 2 thirds olive oil.

Leder Gris from Altberg who supply the MoD and make fantastic boots. They do general purpose one in clear, black and brown, and one with a higher oil content to eplenish old leather. I used the latter to good effect on a pair of very old and dry Scarpa boots. Worked a treat.

Used to use Nikwax but have moved over to this now for the Scarpas and Altberg boots that me and my daughter use daily.

Edited by malmick