Would you want to know where your sausages came from?

spandit

Named sausages  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would a label on your sausages with the pig's name on it put you off?

We've just ordered c.110lbs of sausages (buying a sow and getting her slaughtered) and probably won't be able to eat all of them ourselves. If you were buying locally produced sausages, would you mind if the name of the specific pig was printed on the packet?

A "no" from me, I love to know as much as possible about where my meat comes from if I haven't killed it myself. We buy sausages and other pork direct from local farmers. You may get a bit of an unrepresentative view from a poll on here. Most PWers are probably a bit more realistic than Joe public about where food comes from. Depends who you are selling to I suppose, if your customers are country people you might be alright, but I can see it freaking out some others! Best send them to me to save yourself the grief.

I just ate a curry wurst here in Berlin. My guess was that the sausage had never seen any animal product during its manufacture it was carp. I thought berlin would be fab for sausage!

One of my farmers makes his own and we get all of ours from them.

Living in a small very rural market town I know exactly where all my meat comes from.

The beef I eat is actually raised on our rough shoot and processed by a local butcher who is a member of the neighbouring farmers syndicate.

All my pork is grown less than 8 miles away and processed by another local butcher for whom I do pest control.

Some of my poultry comes from rough shoot also and I flatly refuse to buy chicken breasts even knowing where they come from ( local chicken processing plant ) as they are intensely reared and absolutely tasteless.

All my fish comes straight from Fleetwood via two blokes who turn up one on a Saturday and the other on a Thursday, and park their vans in the market square, so yes, I do like to know where my meat comes from.

The only exception I'll make are those ribeye steaks they sell in Aldi. Bought some on a friends recommendation and have no idea where they're from but they're bloody good. :yes:

We play at farming too. Basically, we have 2 pigs who are going for slaughter next week. A friend of ours, who will be supplying the replacements (being born tonight, as it happens!) has an old sow who didn't get "in pig" despite several visits from the boar so she went to market. Estimate for her was about £15 but she didn't sell and none of the butchers want her so I've offered to pay for the processing and will sell the sausages. Probably going to cost about £130 and if we sell the sausages for £3 a lb, sorry, per 454g, we should make a bit of cash. Worst case is we end up with a massive glut of sausages :D

Already have a local café interested in selling some and we have a school fair we could sell hotdogs at...

We play at farming too. Basically, we have 2 pigs who are going for slaughter next week. A friend of ours, who will be supplying the replacements (being born tonight, as it happens!) has an old sow who didn't get "in pig" despite several visits from the boar so she went to market. Estimate for her was about £15 but she didn't sell and none of the butchers want her so I've offered to pay for the processing and will sell the sausages. Probably going to cost about £130 and if we sell the sausages for £3 a lb, sorry, per 454g, we should make a bit of cash. Worst case is we end up with a massive glut of sausages :D

Already have a local café interested in selling some and we have a school fair we could sell hotdogs at...

I very good idea, what size is she? I sent one of mine for sausage a few years back, dead weight around 95 kgs. So a lot bigger than I normally send but not the biggest I have seen going in.

I very good idea, what size is she? I sent one of mine for sausage a few years back, dead weight around 95 kgs. So a lot bigger than I normally send but not the biggest I have seen going in.

Think she's about 100kg but in all honesty I haven't seen her... She's a Berkshire.

On a plus note, her replacement farrowed last night and we've reserved two of the weaners... :D

• 6 months later...

In my opinion knowing the name of the pig is going to put people off but putting the name of the farm that the pig has been reared and the breed of pig on is a really great selling point.

i quite happily admit to being a meat racist who tries to avoid foreign sourced meat wherever possible, going for local whenever practicable.

Couldn't resist cooking a pack of sausages for lunch - they are really rather good! I think we had about 27lb of sausages in total. Feels a little odd to think that it was only a week ago that I loaded them into the trailer (would have picked the meat up quicker if work hadn't got in the way) but that's what they were there for.

Fed them a lot of acorns and apples, not convinced I can taste them in the sausages but the butcher said he was very impressed with how they looked when they came in so we're doing something right. Going to have a bit of a break before we get any more as our massive freezer is full to the brim and I'm not sure my heart can take much more!

Plan is to get some more next year when we can pen them underneath some oak trees to eat the acorns for us when they fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Do farmers even name their livestock?

I`m not wild about the idea but it wouldn`t stop me eating them.

yes i can tell you the name of almost every beast we have slaughtered and i have butchered, though we have only named the breeding pigs and goats not the offspring as there is to many of them

colin

and a lot of our customers like knowing the names and the fact they have had a good life

Edited by colin lad