Young Crow shooting

Darrsn

The tradition of shooting branchers is for rooks not crows , though the thought of Rook pie does not excite me I really would not fancy Crow pie

Rook pie is good!

if done properly, if not an old welly boot would be better

As has been said it is for Rooks not Crows. Just down the road from me they were sat out last Sunday so went up to my main shoot 25 miles away Monday evening and nothing sat out in any of the three Rookeries we have but managed to knock one out of a low nest and it was very small around the size of an orange. I go with an FAC Airgun and find it ideal, one Rookery is in Scots Pines so it would be easy to blow every nest out with a Shotgun but wouldn't want to wipe them all out. The sound of Rooks in a Rookery is classic English countryside in my book but farmers would like them all gone in the main.

The traditional date for shooting branching rooks is 13th May which is tomorrow.

Carrion crows will have nests which are out in single trees. If the nest has not been spotted by now the emergence of leaves will mean that yet another brood is likely to survive.

The traditional date for shooting branching rooks is 13th May which is tomorrow.

Carrion crows will have nests which are out in single trees. If the nest has not been spotted by now the emergence of leaves will mean that yet another brood is likely to survive.

The crows seem to be in even numbers with the rooks so its surprising that I dont see so many crow nests about. Also large numbers of jackdaws where do they nest?

Indeed, I've done all mine over the last two weeks, accounting for many, always surprised to see the size of that beak, even on the young.

That was a small rook fella, was it feathered up? I've seen them that size dead on the ground below the trees with small quills, when they've fallen out of the nest.

Just about plenty of quills on it still, was very surprised at the size of it.