Primos Power Crow call

Jimmymature

Had a good afternoon on the crows yesterday so invested in a Primos Power Crow caller. It sounds absolutely awful! I'm sure there's a technique so would appreciate any as at the moment it is more likely to call in foxes than crows!

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Don't give up on the caller. It's one for the best, if not, the best on the market. I have used one for many years with great success. It's hard to try and explain how to use one, but basically, you have to make a 'grrrr' sound when blowing into the caller. Using mine, I can call in Crows, Rooks, and Jackdaws.

So many people give up on this excellent caller, blaming it for being useless.

Thanks all, just struggling to get that 'raspy' sound. The wife has banned me practising in the house so I think I have to drive the dog mad on her evening walks...

I have a Primos squirrel call which is good so I know thu make good callers but really struggling with this one.

Jim

I also have a primos, sound's more like a party pooper. gone over to the acme much better controle only £6. even the crows said where did you get that from that's good.

In my experience, the ACME caller is more suited for Jackdaws, owing to it's higher pitch. The Primos works very good on Jackdaws, just by adjusting the bite pressure on the reed.

I have to say it's going in the bin. I've tried every technique and it just sounds like a a noise from a kids birthday party.

Would be nice to have a warning on it that says - warning only buy this if you want your friends and family mocking you for sounding like a kazoo....

I have to say it's going in the bin. I've tried every technique and it just sounds like a a noise from a kids birthday party.

Would be nice to have a warning on it that says - warning only buy this if you want your friends and family mocking you for sounding like a kazoo....

Well throw it in my bin please.

I was using one today for 54 birds posted earlier. They are great. Avoiding making a crow warning noise is the second challenge. Today I had birds flighting in the field over and used the caller to get them to look in my direction to see the deeks.

Have the primos and agree also good for jackdaw calling (this is a bit trickier) and the sam neyt ft3 both are good in my opinion.

Theres a few youtube vids on calling with the primos I would watch a few then practice as much as poss best do that ***away*** from where you want to shoot them until you have a repeatable decent sound on the go.

As said above try and get a grrrrrrr going and from the throat seems to work best. What I mean by from the throat is opposed to the sam neyt where the advice is using the abdomen and a kind of clearing the of throat technique.

Takes a bit of practice but you'll get it dont give up as once mastered its a very useful tool :good:

PS try biting the mouthpiece at various tensions too see how it differs in pitch too

Edited by Andra

Throw the instruction backing card in the bin and listen to the corvids around you. I'll admit it sounds daft initially, but it's worth persevering with. The best example I can give is of two jackdaws mate and me didn't see ( although they must have flown directly over us ) until they were out of range, so I gave them a few calls. They turned from around 100 yards away and flew straight back and we killed them both.

• 4 weeks later...

If you see my post in Sporting Pictures, Spring Rape, the picture of the corvids has my Primos( Yellow String) I have also two American crow calls which I use alternatively because of different pitch . So with my three calls I can give three different voices of crows. I struggled with the Primos at first but I find it brilliant to call Magpies. You need to try it when you have birds approaching to see the reaction to the call, I find the Jackdaw call short pip pip works on crows as well . It is like all whistles you need to practice , I have a Sheperds whistle which I'm unable to get a sound out of it.

Had a good afternoon on the crows yesterday so invested in a Primos Power Crow caller. It sounds absolutely awful! I'm sure there's a technique so would appreciate any as at the moment it is more likely to call in foxes than crows!

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Very rare I post on here nowadays but I have to wonder if you might have made the same mistake that I did?

I usually use a Haydels Crow Caller (Which works well and does the job it was designed for) but decided to buy and try a Primos Power Crow Caller because of all the good write-ups they have always received. When I took it out of the packaging and in to the fields I was terribly disappointed as it sounded like Daffy Duck with a serious throat infection. I was about to try pulling it apart to see if I could adjust the reed when I realised that the mouthpiece had a thin rubber protection sleeve over it.

With the rubber protection sleeve removed it worked perfectly (What a plonker)

Not much different from my Haydel caller but still quite effective at bringing the crows in! Even so, as many have/will tell you it does take a little practice - You need to sort of "growl" into them rather than just blowing to get that good raspy sound that attracts the crows..

Very rare I post on here nowadays but I have to wonder if you might have made the same mistake that I did?

I usually use a Haydels Crow Caller (Which works well and does the job it was designed for) but decided to buy and try a Primos Power Crow Caller because of all the good write-ups they have always received. When I took it out of the packaging and in to the fields I was terribly disappointed as it sounded like Daffy Duck with a serious throat infection. I was about to try pulling it apart to see if I could adjust the reed when I realised that the mouthpiece had a thin rubber protection sleeve over it.

With the rubber protection sleeve removed it worked perfectly (What a plonker)

Not much different from my Haydel caller but still quite effective at bringing the crows in! Even so, as many have/will tell you it does take a little practice - You need to sort of "growl" into them rather than just blowing to get that good raspy sound that attracts the crows..

hello, i just looked at my caller and thought the rubber sleeve was to keep the reed gap when you blow through, i found the sound as you describe so i just pulled it off the reed leaving a bigger gap and blacked taped the over lay and it does sound much better and more life like so i shall try next time out shooting, oh and i need more practice :)