Two sightings.

JDog

Yesterday in the cold wind and rain I saw my first Swift of the season. It must be bitterly regretting it's decision not to stay somewhere warm like the South of France.

Today I saw a magnificent aerial battle which sadly could only have had one outcome. At a range of 150m or so I saw a Sparrow Hawk and it was obviously chasing something pretty hard. It came closer and I could see that it was pursuing a Meadow Pipit. The little bird did it's level best but as it flew towards me the Hawk snatched it from just above the ground and the rest as they say was history.

The same bird will be making life tough for the wild Grey partridges of which there are quite a few pairs.

Yesterday in the cold wind and rain I saw my first Swift of the season. It must be bitterly regretting it's decision not to stay somewhere warm like the South of France.

Today I saw a magnificent aerial battle which sadly could only have had one outcome. At a range of 150m or so I saw a Sparrow Hawk and it was obviously chasing something pretty hard. It came closer and I could see that it was pursuing a Meadow Pipit. The little bird did it's level best but as it flew towards me the Hawk snatched it from just above the ground and the rest as they say was history.

The same bird will be making life tough for the wild Grey partridges of which there are quite a few pairs.

A few times I've had to stop myself from shooting a spar by mistake when it's coming in on set wings to investigate the pattern!

The swifts turned up here a few weeks ago, skitting across the river's surface and adjoining flood meadows. Hope they brought some woolly sweaters with them, has been nippy overnight here too in the last couple of weeks with frost on the cars etc. Sure they won't complain about the forecast for the next few days, shorts and flip flops being dusted off I think!

Nice sighting of the sparrowhawk. Tough old thing, nature. I've never seen a wild sparrowhawk hunt/attack myself, they are extremely rare in these parts, only a few knocking about. However there are more Red Kites than you can shake a ****ty stick at. Someone in the village near our shoot must put food out for them because they circle above a certain back garden. One of our guns lives in sight of this, he counted over 40 Red Kites in the air at the same time one day! I swear we'll be culling them soon.

Edited by Jim Neal

The swifts turned up here a few weeks ago, skitting across the river's surface and adjoining flood meadows. Hope they brought some woolly sweaters with them, has been nippy overnight here too in the last couple of weeks with frost on the cars etc. Sure they won't complain about the forecast for the next few days, shorts and flip flops being dusted off I think!

Nice sighting of the sparrowhawk. Tough old thing, nature. I've never seen a wild sparrowhawk hunt/attack myself, they are extremely rare in these parts, only a few knocking about. However there are more Red Kites than you can shake a ****ty stick at. Someone in the village near our shoot must put food out for them because they circle above a certain back garden. One of our guns lives in sight of this, he counted over 40 Red Kites in the air at the same time one day! I swear we'll be culling them soon.

I am just down the road from you Jim and there are PLENTY of sparrowhawks hunting my garden (one female, two males) and on every visit to my farms I always see them hunting the hedgerows. I put a dead pigeon up on a stick in my garden, broken wings flapping, and very soon after a large female sparrowhawk hit it hard and dragged it off to eat! Saved some of my blackbirds becoming dinner.

Indeed, I have seen plenty around Ringstead.

I am just down the road from you Jim and there are PLENTY of sparrowhawks hunting my garden (one female, two males) and on every visit to my farms I always see them hunting the hedgerows. I put a dead pigeon up on a stick in my garden, broken wings flapping, and very soon after a large female sparrowhawk hit it hard and dragged it off to eat! Saved some of my blackbirds becoming dinner.

Sparrow Hawk is patrolling the gardens for swallows and house martins where I live in a modern housing development, very adaptable, all three species.

A sparrow hawk can't catch house martins or swallows you will need a hobby for them.the only thing the sparrow hawk will be catching around yours is song birds and pigeons.

Haven't seen the sparrow hawk make a kill in a while, last few were songbirds off a feeder which is now gone. The martins and swallows are just sharing the same space then but not prey for this bird, interesting

Nothing interesting just stating fact 😉