English Open

figgy

Kingo that bloody orange one done for me I over lead it three times then shot behind it,the driven stand and the wheels fell off then on. Had to work hard not blow my card to bits. I had too many stands letting one or two away after hitting first pair or more.

It's funny how the course undone people but not one bad word about the targets,it's how more shoots should be.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how the course undone people but not one bad word about the targets,it's how more shoots should be.

Absolutely agree with that Figgy, any targets I didn't hit is simply because they were better than me. There was nothing unfair on that course.

We seem to have a thing for edgy targets going fast in Scotland, but Hodnet proved to me that you can show a full face on a target without needing mad speed or range and still be beat just by clever target setting.

Kingo that bloody orange one done for me I over lead it three times then shot behind it,the driven stand and the wheels fell off then on. Had to work hard not blow my card to bits. I had too many stands letting one or two away after hitting first pair or more.

Yeah i have noticed over all platforms that hardly a bad word said about it all,

yet steve lovatt does a course and people moan, yet eveyones scores are higher!!!!

Steve Lovatt puts the clays in the next county, he states that his clays will show you what your full choke is for. Hodnet shows it don't need to be that way.

Some of Steve's targets are very good, Hodnets use of the terrain and angles is just something else and enjoy pitting yourself against.

Steve Lovatt puts the clays in the next county, he states that his clays will show you what your full choke is for. Hodnet shows it don't need to be that way.

Some of Steve's targets are very good, Hodnets use of the terrain and angles is just something else and enjoy pitting yourself against.

Not all his targets are in the next county although he's fond of a few long crossers. He has four grounds, two of which lend themselves to those kind of presentations. I personally think he sets a great selection of different targets with deceptive qualities. They are not all far away or fast. I shoot with open chokes and have got some of his corkers. What I miss I miss because of my lack of ability.

To be honest I was thinking of last year at the British open at garlands. Most people moaning and groaning about how hard it was. Yet most people's scores were higher. I shot the British last year with muller 1 and 2. I would say there were definitely more longer, faster targets at the English this year but no one complained. I just find it weird that was all.

Not all his targets are in the next county although he's fond of a few long crossers. He has four grounds, two of which lend themselves to those kind of presentations. I personally think he sets a great selection of different targets with deceptive qualities. They are not all far away or fast. I shoot with open chokes and have got some of his corkers. What I miss I miss because of my lack of ability.

Can we twist your arm to attend the NvS bunfight at Hodnet?

:shaun:

Can we twist your arm to attend the NvS bunfight at Hodnet?

:shaun:

I so wish I could as I would really like to meet you regulars on here and get to know you better as words on a screen are not enough to get to know people properly. I will be contributing to the giving page if someone could just give me a link.

The difference between Hodnet and The British at Garlands is a little like sending a boy to do a Man's job.

Lack of attention to detail at Garlands and if you don't like it quote:- "Sod off".

Hodnet, totally different , if there are any issues? Tom Jones wants to know and wants it putting right, " NOW ".

Last week there were very few "no birds", no flat batteries, no button issues, and the only issue was a broken bolt on a trap , fixed in minutes late friday night.

Steve Lovatt does a very good job ,trying to provide something that suits everyone is very difficult , Steve does not suffer fools gladly , but you do know where you stand with him .

The difference between Hodnet and The British at Garlands is a little like sending a boy to do a Man's job.

Lack of attention to detail at Garlands and if you don't like it quote:- "Sod off".

Hodnet, totally different , if there are any issues? Tom Jones wants to know and wants it putting right, " NOW ".

Last week there were very few "no birds", no flat batteries, no button issues, and the only issue was a broken bolt on a trap , fixed in minutes late friday night.

Steve Lovatt does a very good job ,trying to provide something that suits everyone is very difficult , Steve does not suffer fools gladly , but you do know where you stand with him .

A nice touch was the refs were all smartly dressed in shirt and tie.. made it look professional! :good:

I think I had one no bird all event and it was the very first rabbit on stand 1, it may well have been your good self on the button, but sadly I didn't know that until after the event otherwise I would have made a point to say hello, many of my cronies north of the border talk highly of you.

Other than that the rest of the round went without issue. It was also noticeable that I can recall only seeing one or two traps in the whole course and that made a huge difference to the natural feel of the course.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen a Lovatt clay that needed more than 1/2 choke!!! To be fair to Steve, the stuff he has at distance is always showing full belly or face at some point in its flight!!!

I've never seen a Lovatt clay that needed more than 1/2 choke!!! To be fair to Steve, the stuff he has at distance is always showing full belly or face at some point in its flight!!!

That's because his comment about showing you what your full choke is for wasn't made in respect of his normal registered shoots. He posted that remark a couple of years ago when advertising the 'Extreme' shoots for people who wanted to practice for Dubai. Steve isn't a politician and doesn't make guarded comments and this is an example of something he once said being quoted out of context.